12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Can anyone help me choose a game for a geek please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suzanne Lane
msg tools
Hi,

I have a challenge to choose a game for a friend who is a self confessed game geek. The only information that I have about this person is that he goes to the conventions, his favourite game at the moment is giftrap and he owns over 300 games.
Are there any particular games that you would recommend for someone who likes giftrap?
Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
obviously it might be quite hard to say something the person don't already has...

but on a quick note...

Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Wits & Wagers. Puerto Rico is also another very good choice but, if he is as big a geek (and 300 games gives credit to it) as indicated, he might already have that one. Other possibilities are any of the GIPF project games, Masons, or Blue Moon City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If he has over 300 games, odds are that he has everything except the newest releases (or rarest collectible game). Any other purchase is likely to lead to the unhappy result of a duplicate game.

The other safe, but less sexy choice, is to get them a gift certificate or just ask him what game he is currently yearning to own. Although you would be spoiling the surprise, you could make a day of going to the game shop together, picking out the game, having a nice lunch, and then organizing a play session in which you participate!

This type of time investment would be a wonderful gift!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of Wits and Wagers...

... and its certainly something that you'll enjoy, as it's really a wider appeal game than many Euros. You coul dbuy the game and organize a party to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more informatio would certainly provide for better recommendations, plus anyone with 300 games has a good chance of already owning common recommendations.

If giftTRAP is a favorite then Wits & Wagers might work.

It is another "Party" game, this time combining "number" trivia and betting on answers. The betting aspect allows people who are not trivia fanatics to still have a fighting chance at winning. Additionally, the fact that the trivia is based on numbers makes it less likely for any one person to "exactly" know the answer (how many moons are orbitting Saturn - 56 at last count). The one thing that gives me some concern is that there are only 100 question cards. This is enough for 100 games, but may limit the games long-term playability.

Edit: In the few minutes it took to write my toughts a few others had the same idea meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne Lane
msg tools
Thank you all so much. I'll go with wits & wagers and hope he doesn't already have it. If he has, then I'll keep it myself. It looks great. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check to see if your friend is a member here. Do a search by name by Users. If so, you may luck out and see their wish and want lists. Or you may find a list of games owned so that you don't end up buying something they already own.

A new party game that was just released in October in Germany, Santy Anno may be of interest to your friend. Depending on your friend's interests you might consider Peace Bowl, Thurn und Taxis, Diamant, or Pirhanna Pedro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go, the greatest party game:

Haste Worte?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hrmm, 300 games and we only have Giftrap to go by. That's quite a challenge. Does he have Pitchcar?

Is he not on the geek so that we can look over his collection?

Agreed on the Wits and Wagers, great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Meeple
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A gift certificate with the brick and mortar or online game store of your choice? Sounds like the safest route to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.