Subject: Choosing add-on heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Meeusen

Belmont
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Right now I've got enough money pledged to get one of the 3 add-on heroes. That decision currently is to get the trickster. Can anyone elaborate why this is a good choice over the other two/bad choice and why one of the others would be more interesting or better to choose. Or maybe just a more detail gameplay explanation of each so I can try to just figure out what would work best for me/my group. I've tried searching forums/wiki without too much information obtained beyond the most basic. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trickster is fun and has some interesting abilities. He's tough to play at times, until you get at least one of his green items.

The Skald is really strong if you have a bigger group. If you're playing 2, I wouldn't use the Skald.

I didn't particularly like the Spriggan as much. He's not bad, I just didn't find I wanted to play it. I'm not even getting Journeyman version of it.

So yeah Trickster is a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Trickster a lot - but I think along with the Skald, the Trickster is tough to use in a low player count game.
The Trickster is similar to the Archer in that he always has big turns alternated with small turns. Once you get his toolbar green item he is much more consistent from turn to turn. (Which actually makes me worry about his viability with even more items).

I find the Skald very fun to play, but he's mostly just a buffing character (positive and negative). So if you're looking for a more active character, don't go with him.

I enjoy the Spriggan a lot too. He is pretty versatile - he can tank a little, heal a little, and can deal a lot of damage with the summons.

All in all, I think the Trickster is a good choice - though he sounds kind of similar to the Alchemist (coming for free with JM). I'd try to pick up both Trickster and Spriggan. Skald I think can be skipped unless you'll be playing a lot with five and then he's really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going with just the Spriggan this time. Like Kolby said, he does a little bit of everything and I enjoy that.

I also have the luxury of having my brother picking up the Trickster this time around, so that's one less class I have to worry about purchasing.

Which is fine by me, since every time I played him I barely did anything, getting a lot of dud draws, and I prefer rushing in to hit things hard.

Trickster is probably a good choice if you enjoy putting a fair bit of thought in to how you are going to ruin the bad guys' day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the spriggand, thematically awesome and interesting to play. Also not as situational as the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion made me bust out Myth again for my first play in like 2 months (so thanks for that - its been a busy summer). I wanted to add a little to my first response.

If you're looking for one to skip, skip the Skald. While he is very powerful in the buffs/debuffs he can give, he is required to play first every turn (which is fine). But because he is a more passive character, he's really only good in larger player count games. This means that when he's the best, unfortunately he's also the least fun to play because you'll spend a lot of the turn waiting for other people to finish their actions and such. Now for me, a big part of the fun of Myth is the tactical decisions and the discussions on "how can we possibly take out this legion of Shamblers (or what have you)?" So I have no problem with playing the Skald and assisting others. I think when I've enjoyed him most though, I've been playing 2 player games where we each play 2 heroes. Then I have a strong buffing character, and I'll pick someone super active, like the Apprentice, Soldier, or Acolyte.

What I said about the Trickster still stands, he's a boom and bust hero. Big turns, then nothing for a round or two.

I also wanted to add how cool the Spriggan is. He's got a lot of versatility meaning as you gain new cards from Questing, you can really tailor him for a lot of different things. He also has the summonable equipment which I think makes him really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I love the spriggan... but he can be very 'tough' to play.

the Skald we use as a 'group' character alternating who gets to sing..

I have not touched the trickster...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:

That's a great way to use the Skald, good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:

That's a great way to use the Skald, good idea.

One of the advantages of play Myth solo (which is how I play), is that the player can take in 2 or three Heroes (more than that gets somewhat difficult to handle and to be able to reach on the table, IMHO).

So, the player can take a Hero which isn't very active on all turns (like the Archer, Trickster, or Skald), and it really doesn't matter, because they can take at least one other Hero that is (like the soldier or Acolyte).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.