Subject: Combat Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Reed
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok so the back row characters with range can strike the front row characters, but what if neither player has a front row? If both players have a ranged character on their back row and neither have a front row, can the back row ranged character target the other back row character? Assume nobody has flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Slade
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understand it: If both player's front row characters are KO'd or stunned and the only thing left on both sides is the back row characters, then the back row characters automatically become front row characters. Flight and Ranged won't matter, the battle will be a melee fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSS2004 wrote:
then the back row characters automatically become front row characters.

I'm not sure this is true. I wondered the same thing, but didn't see anything in the rules to make me think it worked that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not true, the rows are constant and not dependent on characters like in the old vs system, so if you have 1 character in the back row and nothing else than it is still in the back row for effects like range and namor's invade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Slade
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. I keep getting the old and new rules mixed up lol. But thanks to you both for correcting me, and sorry I mislead the original poster. I didn't even think about Namor and Ranged characters not getting attacked backed. That makes sense though.

BUT just to clarify: If my opponent has stunned characters in the Front Row, then my Back Row Ranged characters can shoot my opponent's Back Row character/s? I thought that could only happen if my Back Row Ranged characters also had Flight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand things:

The type of attack is determined by where the attacker is located. Melee from the front and ranged from the back row with a ranged character.

All attacks can attack a the front row.
The back row may only be attacked if there is no character in the front row or all front row characters are stunned.

Exceptions: Characters with flight can attack the back row directly, so long as any opposing front row characters do not have flight or grab.

Strike backs are automatic for Melee attacks but the defender must have ranged to strike back against a ranged attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Reed
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
A lot to digest here. So given my original example, the characters on the back rows can attack each other because there is no front row correct? Is it a melee or ranged attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An attack from the front row is considered a melee attack. Doesn't matter if they have the range symbol or not.

An attack from the back row is considered a range attack and the attacker must have the range symbol.

If there are no face up characters in the defenders front row then you can attack into their back row.

If you do this attack from your back row it is still considered a range attack so the defender will not strike back unless they also have range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Daniel
msg tools
directly from Vs System facebook page in response to this exact question...

Vs. System 2PCG: A melee attack is defined as when your character is attacking FROM the Front Row. A ranged attack is defined as when your character is attacking FROM the Back Row. What defenders your opponent has and which row they're in doesn't factor into it.

Also, if your character wants to attack from the Back Row, it would need Ranged. If your character wants to attack your opponent's Back Row, but there's a Front Row defender in the way, your character would need Flight. You would need Flight and Ranged to attack your opponent's Back Row character from your Back Row if there is a Front Row defender (because you need to fly over the defender to get to the Back Row). If there is no Front Row defender, you do not need Flight to attack a Back Row character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Cruz
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
If Im in the Back row With Flight..And have supporting characters in the front row. Can I fly over my front row support and attack the enemy front row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Vidro

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Flight only allows you to attack over your opponents front row as long as they dont have flight or grab in their front row. You can always attack from your back row (as long as you have range) without your front row being an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.