T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i recently got the game, and have played quite a few 2 player official rules games, but every time the corn player has won, out of about 15-20 games. granted we are all newbies, but it hasnt mattered who the corn player was (in all the games we have swapped who got the corn and have played with several different opponents), but even someone who is playing their very first game has beaten the some what more experienced player. i would chalk this up to bad play on the more experienced players part except that as soon as the other player gets to start with corn he wins... so anyone have a good strat for winning with indigo with the official 2 player rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Anyone have a suggestion for winning with Indigo in the official 2 player rules game?
wow, that is a concern...

I'll assume you were playing correct rules, etc...

Question: what were you using as your opening for player 1? Can you describe how player 2 got such an advantage?

If it is indeed true that player 2 has a large advantage in 2 player PR, I would make the following recommenation:

Give both players indigo to start. That would be a pretty simple fix if the corn player has a huge advantage. It would probably work....

Hopefully, its not the case that 2 has a big advantage, its just that you have to figure out how to play #1 effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Anyone have a suggestion for winning with Indigo in the official 2 player rules game?
its funny cause i also played a couple 2 player games and the corn player also won every time. i would still attribute it to coincidence, as i didn't see a tremendous advantage manifested by the corn player's position. in any case, although 2 player was kind of fun, i much prefer multiplayer pr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 (#18708),

I've played a LOT of two player PR (official Alea rules - same opponent) and the "advantage" seems to switch between player 1 and player 2 as certain strategies go in an out of style. It's never been an overwhelming advantage either way, but noticible.

Currently, player 1 seems to be winning a disproportionate number of games. Our current favorite opening move for player 1 is builder - small market.

b.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nielsen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Use the updated 2-player rules:

-Set up and play a normal 4 player game, with one player controlling 1st and 3rd seats, the other playing 2nd and 4th
-Normal rules apply; the positions are played entirely independently (no transferring cash).
-Only the lower of a player's two scores count...sacrificing one position for massive points on the other is not helpful. You are forced to find a balance.

The updated version may seem a little tougher, but it will improve your regular PR skills by forcing you to examine in depth more than one board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 boards each way is actually the way I have played my only 2 player PR game ever...

I really like the 'take the lower score' scoring method. I nthe game I played, I balanced between my boards and had 37-37, while my opponent (jimc), had 34-49. This was back when we JUST started playing, the first week after it came out. (We were playing it constantly ,and at that time no one else would play with us, so we played it like that 2 player).

Using the 'official' rules, its good to see someone saying that player 2 doesnt havea huge advantage. I dont know if builder/small market is the best opening for player 1, and if its really better than settler/ quarry. In multiplay,er settler/quarry is certainly better, but 2 player is different. I can see that builder/small market could be better, since there is only 1 market, and giving your opponent a planation advantage of: corn + (choice) sugar/tobacco/coffee + build for the small market vs your indigo + quarry could be bad. While the quarry is greatThey may be able to get you in a very defensive position to prevent them from early trades, and they can avoid building and force you to choose it to get the quarry benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog (#18740), i think it did have something to do with us just being inexperienced and shipping being the major point producer. i have since won several games thru building as the first player and once that strategy caught on the first player was winning majority in the last official rules 2 player we did. since then we have tried the 4 board variation, but we didnt do the lowest score, but rather combined the two scores. the lowest score meathod might be worth trying next time (though I have found some more players so multiplayer is more regular for us now). Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 (#18708),

I played my first three games of two player PR Saturday night using the official Alea rules.

I have been looking forward to a game of PR mostly because I have invested a significant amount of time into jimc and alexfrog's excellent in depth articles. (Sidenote: jimc's large warehouse is 29 pages when printed out!!!)

After easily winning the first two games in which I drew corn. I thought there could could be a significant advantage to the corn player. So we switched (I did draw corn for the third time). Anyway, I won that game even more easily.

So my experience would suggest there is no decisive advantage, but more play could reveal more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing we do in the two player game to mix it up a bit is instead of using 1 of each of the small violet buildings, mix all 24 in a bowl and take out 12 at random.

This creates some interesting mixes, giving none, one, or two of any given building.

When we use the expansion, each person takes 1 building at a time and places it on the board util there are 12 buildings out. The building can either be placed in an empty slot (as per the normal expansion rules), or placed on top of a building of the same type. Again, this gives two, one, or none of each building. The same availability rules still apply, ie, there cannot be both a small market and an aquaduct, but there can be two, one, or none of either.

Oh yeah, for you library haters out ther (alex), the library is a very powerful building in the two player game. You are, after all, taking three roles every turn.

b.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would imagine that library is incredibly amazing in two player....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.