Subject: What Are The Promo Characters Like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My package hasn't even been sent yet, let alone arrived in Japan. You lucky ones, please tell us what the promos are like! The devastation ones were hit and miss, I thought. I'd love to hear what the playtesters thought too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce Lee has no power at all, but has a lot of mobility and initiative. He's really annoying to fight against. However, he antes "follow up moves", and those hit only if the original attack hits, and those tend to have some power.

The dwarven warmage summons a bunch of equipment to aid him, which is really cool. Each equipment gives him a special power, and some cards seem to interact with the equipment, too. With low initiative and high stun guard and such, he definitely seemed like a "counter-attack" guy.

There was also a girl with a fire whip that I noticed. I didn't really look through her cards, but I noticed just about every style card had a small range bonus. Also, she inflicts Enflame counters on the enemy. The more Enflame counters they get, the worse things get for them. I think she had a finisher that required the opponent to have five Enflame counters before it could be executed.

There was a "mascot" librarian with lots of book-related powers. She can establish "genres" for herself that gave her permanent power-ups until she chose to change the genre.

That's all I remember right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arien Tyquaius
msg tools
For Iskra, did you get enflame counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Iskra did not, and was curious is she was supposed to have any. Did any other character come with tokens? It's not like there aren't plenty of other tokens to use as proxy, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iskra intentionally does not have Enflame Counters. As we only have one punchsheet per promo character, we were not adequately able to fit her Counters along with her standup. As her Counters do nothing that needs to be indicated on the counter itself, they were left out. As you may have seen this also affects Prince Elien's punchsheet slightly, as his marker is smaller than a normal marker.

Evil Hikaru is a different character than standard Hikaru and we felt this difference would be made clearer by having him use cards instead of tokens. Had he used tokens, he would have suffered from the same problem as Iskra, expect his Elemental effects are indeed relevant to anteing and should be legible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
So far, I've only gotten to play against Bruce Lee, and I do agree that he might be a little on the weak side. He's very predictable, and can be easily shut down with proper movement options. On the other hand, if you ever fail to shut him down he will almost certainly wreck you; every beat has the potential to be a 5 or 6 damage beat with Bruce Lee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
So far, I've only gotten to play against Bruce Lee, and I do agree that he might be a little on the weak side. He's very predictable, and can be easily shut down with proper movement options. On the other hand, if you ever fail to shut him down he will almost certainly wreck you; every beat has the potential to be a 5 or 6 damage beat with Bruce Lee.

He's also hard to out-intiiative. Really, dodging is your bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone familiar with these characters prepared to split them into Devastations 5-flight scheme? I need them for labels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at this Reddit post which has a bunch of characters tiered in terms of difficulty. Just missing Nehtali and Takeshi I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good start. I think they use the war 3 flight system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, it's definitely Devastation. Iskra is almost certainly Intermediate and Bruce Lee is almost certainly Beginner, plus none of the promos are anything I'd consider Advanced or Master (maybe Nehtali?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, cool! I'll just wa8t on word of the last couple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.