Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Adams
United Kingdom
Haddington
East Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quick question:

The rules say - Add an odd number of merchants (at least 5) to merchant pool - then buy at least 50% of them.

So could you buy all 5 when founding?

In the rulebook examples (and in examples I've seen in videos) the new king seems to always buy EXACTLY 50% rounded UP. (Starting with an odd number of merchants - hence - always a majority). 3 from 5, 4 from 7 etc.

So IS the rule to buy a MINIMUM of 50% (meaning you COULD buy them all), or EXACTLY 50% rounded up.

In the later is the case, presumably the king could buy more later in the same MR, but not until other players have also had a chance to buy from the remainder of his initial nation-founding purchase. Does that make sense?

The question came up in our very first game. Can someone please clarify.

Thanks
Richard

PS - Really like the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, often in this and other 18xx games, a player wants to start a company and get control of the associated capital with as little of his or her own investment as possible. That's why you often see someone buy just the minimum. But it's legal to buy more (and late in the game you might do that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adams
United Kingdom
Haddington
East Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric,

That makes sense.

So the reason you would choose to buy the minimum needed to found the country (start the company), is to keep back as much cash-in-hand as possible. If you bought them ALL - that wouldn't be breaking the rules of the game - it would just be unwise.

In the same vein then - to minimise cost you would most likely create 5 initially to then buy the 3.

Of course another related but different question is where you decide to pitch the initial price.

I am looking forward to more plays of the game to see how these different decisions play out. I'm playing with a group who are all beginners in the genre like me - so we are learning together.

All the best
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advantage of buying a 50% majority is that the bank is supplying more money to the company (kingdom) than you could alone so it can afford more ships, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.