Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

So I've played this a number of times with a friend who had his own decks a bunch of times. I really like this game.

Well, I was able to get a HUGE collection as one lot more or less for not much money at all (like seriously, I would've been nuts not to take this one). Well, I have a few games that I build decks for, plus I don't think I know the game well enough to build decks that are that good.

Well can anyone recommend or point me to six relatively well-balanced decks using the following sets? (one deck for each faction)

I was able to get cheaply:
Two copies of the core set.
The complete hoth cycle.
Two copies of Edge of Darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off hand, for Sith...

Fall of the Jedi x2
Council of the Sith x2
The Emperor's Web x2
Serve the Emperor x2
Ghosts of The Dark Side x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The link below is specifically for people with 2x Core and 2x Edge of Darkness. It's meant to be alternative starter decks that give more consistency and more balance than those suggested by FFG.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17060-6-st...

I'm not too current with balanced competitive decks, though.

But here's an excerpt from that thread:

"I'll also confess that all my decks started with a core of 2x Heat of Battle, Target of Opportunity, and Twist of Fate. Anyway, let me start posting decks and explaining why I chose what I did. If people feel strongly against my decisions, we can tweak them, but after that I'd like to get a huge, international play test going with these decks. The idea will be to have experienced players see if the decks are balanced against each other, while also getting as many new players as possible to play these decks to see what they think of them.

Sith Affiliation
2x Fall of the Jedi
2x Counsel of the Sith
2x Black Squadron Assault
2x The Emperor's Web
1x Cruel Interrogations
1x Shadows of Dathomir

I wasn't originally going to use 2x Counsel because it's part of what makes Sith so powerful. However, when I decided to keep 2x of each of the Fate cards, that put Counsel back in. However, Black Squadron Assault is a bit of a wild card in a Sith deck, so I'm hoping that tones the deck down enough to make it beatable. In the end, it may be too spread out. In any case, a new player ought to get a kick out of getting Vader and Emperor out. There should be enough resources to get that done. I thought about running one Heart of the Empire, but didn't want to because I wanted to avoid altering win conditions. However, I ended up including Trench Run (needed those Rebel Assaults), so I'm open to reconsidering Heart.

Imperial Navy Affiliation
1x Imperial Command
2x Kuat Reinforcements
1x The Ultimate Power
2x Death and Despayre
2x Defense Protocol
2x The Endor Gambit

This is the affiliation I'm most concerned about. As before, I started with 2x of each fate card. That was slightly problematic because the two Twists of Fate also brought two Tallon Rolls that were totally pointless with only two fighters. So I felt obligated to include two Kuat Reinforcements to swell the fighter ranks in the deck. Unfortunately, that also meant I included Backstabber who has odd in-battle deployment timing which I know we were trying to avoid. Overall, though, I found this deck hard as a starter deck because when people hear "Imperial Navy," they think Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters. Including both sort of splits the deck into two different directions. I also really wanted two Tarkins in the deck and was also trying to get Imperial Blockade in there. The only thing stopping me is the self-imposed fate card restriction.

Scum and Villainy Affiliation
1x The Bespin Exchange
1x Hive of Scum and Villainy
2x Jabba's Reach
2x The Tatooine Crash
2x Carbonite Transport
2x Trandoshan Terror

With two Twsts and two Reversals of Fate, I'm hoping this deck can win edge enough to get Bounty to capture things, since there are 3 in the deck. Boba Fett adds nothing to the deck but flavor and if I cut him, I'd probably add a second Hive of Scum and Villainy for the second copy of Captured!, which is just so awesome in a Scum deck. I thought about tempting fate and running two Fetts to increase the likelihood of getting Jabba to deploy Mandalorian Armor on Boba using Jabba's ability ... it's just not worth it, though.

Jedi Affiliation
2x A Hero's Journey
2x In You Must Go
2x Forgotten Heroes
2x A Journey to Dagobah
2x The Secret of Yavin 4

This one was hard for me. I would much prefer including Obi-Wan as a 1-of and including one copy of Last Minute Rescue instead, but my Fate card rule is getting in the way. A Journey to Dagobah may seem out of place, and you may think Jedi Training is better because of its synergy with Obi-Wan, but I played that deck a lot and never found it quite up to par. I think the blast damage from Red 5 are necessary, the resources in R2-D2 are important, and Double Strike is great since there are so many characters to take advantage of it. Plus, R2-D2 is a pretty important characters in the film, and that alone warrants at least one copy of A Journey to Dagobah.

Rebel Alliance Affiliation
Rebel Alliance Affiliation
2x The Defense of Yavin 4
2x Mission Briefing
2x Fleeing the Empire
2x The Rebel Fleet
1x Mobilize the Squadrons
1x Alderaan's Promise

Not much to say here. I started with the fate cards and then added 4x Rebel Assault. The end result is a nice mix of characters and vehicles. As for its abilities ... we'll have to test it. [Took out 1x Mobilize and added Alderaan's Promise in subsequent versions.]

Smugglers and Spies Affiliation
2x Questionable Contacts
2x Wookiee Life Debt
2x Asteroid Sanctuary
2x Trust Me
1x The Defense of Cloud City
1x To Arms!

Of all the decks, this one is probably the strongest. It has a lot of really good Smugglers sets and uses all the main movie characters in the affiliation. I made a conscious effort to exclude any unblockables because I feel they are boring and not very thematic. And by that I mean they don't evoke any nostalgia from the movie. In addition to being the strongest, I think this one is also one of the most fun to play -- and I don't even like Smugglers that much! The Defense of Cloud City is supposed to dumb this deck down, but because it's only in the deck once, I think it ends up being a valuable strength. It brings shields to augment the protector Wookiees and that could be dangerous. But that depends on getting Wookiee Life Debt out, so it won't always happen.

So, this has been my starting point. I think in a few days I'll try again without worrying about fate cards and see what I end up building."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for finding these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.