Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night I stayed up till 2 in the morning playing solo conquest and I did the best I've ever done. However, it's been a while since I last played and I've won so infrequently that I'm not sure how well my score measures up to what's considered a "really good score."

I played as Arythea and used a modified tile setup. I made it so that the first 4 green tiles were numbered 1-4 then chose 3 random ones after that. I used normal rules for the core tiles. I also use components from the lost legion expansion

In the first few rounds I took some big risks to acquire a few spells and an artifact from Mage Towers, Maze Sites, and Ruins. I also had poor influence most the game because I pillaged a village site several times and attacked a lot of towers, keeps, and the cities. The spells I acquired mostly focused on fortification and resistance reduction and my advanced action cards and Artifact (the dark ring or whatever it's called) primarily focused on either mana generation or ranged/siege attacks.

Everything just snowballed in my favor from there and by the time I reached the two cities (White level 5 and Green level 8) I was able to take out all of the enemies fairly easily (mind you it was a bit of a brain-strain to figure out how to do everything).

In the end here's how I fared
Base Fame: 107
Cities Conquered: 2x10: 20
All Cities Conquered: 15
Dummy Player had 1 card left in deck: 1
End of round was not announced: 5
Conquered sites: 2 keeps 2 mage towers: 8
Adventure sites: 2 ruins and 1 maze: 6
Loot: 1 artifact: 2 0 (I broke the artifact in my last turn
Knowledge: 6 advanced action cards (6x1) and 4 spells (4x2): 14
Leader: 4 units ranked 2,2,3,4: 11
Wounds: 4x-2: -8

Total score: 181 179

For you veterans out there, how well does this stack up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not a veteran; well, not a good one anyway. That is a very good score in my opinion. There are other people here who routinely score over 200, but I have never done that. I only have one game better than your score (188) and a whole bunch lower.

As someone in another thread said, the Council of the Void only cares that you completed your mission successfully; they don't care if it was pretty (high score).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:
I am not a veteran; well, not a good one anyway. That is a very good score in my opinion. There are other people here who routinely score over 200, but I have never done that. I only have one game better than your score (188) and a whole bunch lower.

As someone in another thread said, the Council of the Void only cares that you completed your mission successfully; they don't care if it was pretty (high score).

wow over 200! As is the case with most games, I had a suspicion my score wasn't anything to gawk at. Like you a have a lot of lower scores too, most of which were without a win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right up there with my best. Twice I got exactly 200, and only a few above 180.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
See: What's a good solo score?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

Thanks for adding a link to this thread. From what I gather now 181 is a mid to low average for people who frequently play. Five minutes ago the thought of scoring over 250 was unimaginable to me, now I see this is typical to really experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan68 wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Thanks for adding a link to this thread. From what I gather now 181 is a mid to low average for people who frequently play. Five minutes ago the thought of scoring over 250 was unimaginable to me, now I see this is typical to really experienced players.

Not typical, but it happens on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I created a thread awhile ago to help me crack that elusive 200 barrier in my own solo games here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1385979/high-score

There is a lot of really good advice in there to help you get higher scores.

My current high score is 212 with Norawas.

I would never have been able to even beat the game with Norawas let alone break a score of over 200 without the help from all the excellent players on these forums. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those people who considers anything below 200 for a solo conquest a "loss." My highest score with cities at 5/8 is 237 with Arythea, but lately I've been trying cities at 8/11 and that gets me to the 230 level pretty consistently if I win (I've failed to take both cities twice out of six plays at the higher levels). My high score at 8/11 is 261 with Goldyx.

One thing I've found useful at higher levels of play is to be willing to break artifacts. At first I was very reluctant because that's burning points and reusable resources out of your deck, but making your first city conquest go smoothly or finishing off your final assault with a minimum of wounds is worth it. Horn of Wrath is an obvious one, but I also broke a diamond ring in that Goldyx game I mentioned at night with four spells in hand. Limitless black mana = a great time had by all. (Well, not by my opponents.)

For now, work on taking out the 5/8 cities consistently. It sounds like you have a good plan of focusing on getting anti-city spells and artifacts; I would focus on getting more fame around the map, particularly at ruins or places that give you artifacts (Dungeon/Spawning Grounds/Tombs). Try not to get bogged down killing orcs once you are strong enough to do anything else, unless you can kill two or three in one turn. Early on, they are useful leveling tools, but in late game, they are speed bumps. And you need speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borderline wrote:

For now, work on taking out the 5/8 cities consistently. It sounds like you have a good plan of focusing on getting anti-city spells and artifacts; I would focus on getting more fame around the map, particularly at ruins or places that give you artifacts (Dungeon/Spawning Grounds/Tombs). Try not to get bogged down killing orcs once you are strong enough to do anything else, unless you can kill two or three in one turn. Early on, they are useful leveling tools, but in late game, they are speed bumps. And you need speed.

Thanks for the advice. I've only got about 8-10 games under my belt and one weakness I'm aware of in myself, is my understanding of pacing. In this game I was afraid I wouldn't have enough time to conquer the cities so a rushed passed a few sites fearing they would delay me too long. However, this caused me to have about 2 or 3 fairly worthless turns between the final day and night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borderline wrote:
One thing I've found useful at higher levels of play is to be willing to break artifacts. At first I was very reluctant because that's burning points and reusable resources out of your deck, but making your first city conquest go smoothly or finishing off your final assault with a minimum of wounds is worth it.

Yes, absolutely. One needs to recognize that the first city is the most difficult one. Getting past that without taking more than a wound or two (or preferably none) pretty much guarantees a win (unless you are already on the last night in which case you have done something wrong). Burning an artifact to more easily take the first city is usually worth it. Banner of Fear is an obvious example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woops it just occurred to me my score should only be 179 because I broke my artifact capturing the final city. I had the dark ring and breaking it gives you 3 of any kind of mana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan68 wrote:
I played as Arythea and used a modified tile setup. I made it so that the first 4 green tiles were numbered 1-4 then chose 3 random ones after that.

Doing this could actually lower your score, since there aren't a lot of opportunities to get fame on the low-numbered tiles. Your first skill and advanced action are a big boost, so you want to reach level two ASAP, and some of the orcs aren't enough to get you there. Plus if you aren't set up to fight the orcs you get (like ironclads, or summoners when you don't have enough ranged attack available) it can be a pain to get around them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenV wrote:
Jonathan68 wrote:
I played as Arythea and used a modified tile setup. I made it so that the first 4 green tiles were numbered 1-4 then chose 3 random ones after that.

Doing this could actually lower your score, since there aren't a lot of opportunities to get fame on the low-numbered tiles. Your first skill and advanced action are a big boost, so you want to reach level two ASAP, and some of the orcs aren't enough to get you there. Plus if you aren't set up to fight the orcs you get (like ironclads, or summoners when you don't have enough ranged attack available) it can be a pain to get around them.

The last time i played i couldn't take out a lot of the stuff around me. I thought having a few low numbered tiles would help me build up momentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
me and my girlfriend played a solo conquest today with a 5 and a 8 city and we exactly got 181 points . so yes, it is good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jacob törn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its good but not great, 200+ is great 250+ is excellent and amazing. for 5/8 cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.