Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Sorry of this is obvious to others, but I'm relatively new to Dice Masters and am struggling with interpretations on some of the cards.

SR Magneto - Magnetic Monster
Card Text:
Zombie - When fielded, KO all non [Z} Magnetos
When Active, opposing characters with Purchase Cost 3 or lower lose their abilities. Professor X can't be fielded.

Q1: Does that include global abilities?
Q2: This doesn't include basic action card abilities since they are not "characters", correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry of this is obvious to others, but I'm relatively new to Dice Masters and am struggling with interpretations on some of the cards.

SR Magneto - Magnetic Monster
Card Text:
Zombie - When fielded, KO all non [Z} Magnetos
When Active, opposing characters with Purchase Cost 3 or lower lose their abilities. Professor X can't be fielded.

Q1: Does that include global abilities?
Q2: This doesn't include basic action card abilities since they are not "characters", correct?

Q1: No, Global Abilities are not inherent to the character, they just happen to reside on the card. The only way to lose them is by effects that target the character's card (like Prismatic Spray from Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn).

Q2: Correct. It also does not include non-Basic Actions (like the SHIELD Helicarrier or Loki's Scepter), for the same reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Q1: No, Global Abilities are not inherent to the character, they just happen to reside on the card. The only way to lose them is by effects that target the character's card (like Prismatic Spray from Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn).

Hmmm...

I read Z.Magneto as affecting character cards, not character dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
pk2317 wrote:

Hmmm...

I could understand them ruling that way, but the card says "Opposing Characters lose their abilities", not "Opposing character cards lose their card text." I believe there is precedent for Global Abilities not being considered under the scope of "Character Abilities".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
pk2317 wrote:

Hmmm...

I could understand them ruling that way, but the card says "Opposing Characters lose their abilities", not "Opposing character cards lose their card text." I believe there is precedent for Global Abilities not being considered under the scope of "Character Abilities".

It's certainly the case that global ability effects are considered to originate from the player, not the character.

So, I can definitely see it being ruled either way.

Great question. One for the wizkids rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Submitted. We'll see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Submitted. We'll see

Let's hope we actually get a ruling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on fielding it to brag that I pulled one in the wild. I'm not sure if it will actually enter game play. I do love the look of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
pk2317 wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Submitted. We'll see

Let's hope we actually get a ruling!

They answered!

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8002

While Magneto: Magnetic Monster is active, if your opponent has the Wasp: Founding Avenger card on his or her team, that card’s text box—including the Global Ability—is considered to be blank. As a result, neither player would be able to use Wasp’s Global Ability. This is the case regardless of whether your opponent has an active Wasp die in the field. In this way, Magneto is similar to Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.