Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: New player/poster -couple of questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Hurd
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I am playing my way thorugh my new Arkham horror game and am enjoying it. I am trying to get the rules down to present it at a gamenight. I like the game a lot but have a few quesitons that I didn't see in my the other posts I browsed. bThere will problably me more questions as I keep playing:

1. If I read another post correctly, when a player return from another dimension and gets his "explored token" during the movement phase, when the Arkham encounter phase comes up he does not draw an encounter from that locations deck prior to trying to close the gate. Him/her trying to close the gate is the Arkham encounter for that turn, correct?

2. If the player fails in his atempt to close the gate and decides to remain there and give it another shot next turn the same rule applies and no encounter card is drawn on the next turn either? Correct?

3. If the player does not try to close the gate (for whatever reason) on the next turn than he would have to draw an arkham encounter for that location, correct?

4. When a player is instructed to lose half his items (or whatever number) skills can not be used as items to play this cost, correct?

5. If a creature is immune to physical attacks, and you cast a spell that gives you a +3 combat roll, I am assuming that any combat bonuses that are the effct of a speall would be classified as a magical attack and OK, correct?

6. In the same train of thought, a magically immune creature, besides being immiune to magical weapons, would also be immune from the combat bonuses gained through casting spells, correct?

7. When a creature is physically or magically imune from attack, that only cancells the effect of any common or magic items that give attack bonuses. You still can attack these creatures and do damage with you base fight ability, correct? (Example: Investigator 1 has a +6 common item, but the criter he is fighting has a physical imminity. His fight skill is 4 right now unmodified. This means that he can stll attack with his four dice (the critter has no modifiers), he just cant use the common items as well).

8. This may be more of a thematic question, but if you have a dimension with more than one gate open to it at the same time, and you close one, do you still take all the monsters off the board with the corresponding symbol even though there is still one gate to that dimension remaining? (Meaning couldn't the just use the other door, again probably a theme thing....).

Thanks I am sure I will have more questions as I play along, but this were the ones tht came up so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mac and Me: When creature design forgets it's a kids movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
zuntar wrote:
I am playing my way thorugh my new Arkham horror game and am enjoying it. I am trying to get the rules down to present it at a gamenight. I like the game a lot but have a few quesitons that I didn't see in my the other posts I browsed. bThere will problably me more questions as I keep playing:

1. If I read another post correctly, when a player return from another dimension and gets his "explored token" during the movement phase, when the Arkham encounter phase comes up he does not draw an encounter from that locations deck prior to trying to close the gate. Him/her trying to close the gate is the Arkham encounter for that turn, correct?

2. If the player fails in his atempt to close the gate and decides to remain there and give it another shot next turn the same rule applies and no encounter card is drawn on the next turn either? Correct?

3. If the player does not try to close the gate (for whatever reason) on the next turn than he would have to draw an arkham encounter for that location, correct?

4. When a player is instructed to lose half his items (or whatever number) skills can not be used as items to play this cost, correct?

5. If a creature is immune to physical attacks, and you cast a spell that gives you a +3 combat roll, I am assuming that any combat bonuses that are the effct of a speall would be classified as a magical attack and OK, correct?

6. In the same train of thought, a magically immune creature, besides being immiune to magical weapons, would also be immune from the combat bonuses gained through casting spells, correct?

7. When a creature is physically or magically imune from attack, that only cancells the effect of any common or magic items that give attack bonuses. You still can attack these creatures and do damage with you base fight ability, correct? (Example: Investigator 1 has a +6 common item, but the criter he is fighting has a physical imminity. His fight skill is 4 right now unmodified. This means that he can stll attack with his four dice (the critter has no modifiers), he just cant use the common items as well).

8. This may be more of a thematic question, but if you have a dimension with more than one gate open to it at the same time, and you close one, do you still take all the monsters off the board with the corresponding symbol even though there is still one gate to that dimension remaining? (Meaning couldn't the just use the other door, again probably a theme thing....).

Thanks I am sure I will have more questions as I play along, but this were the ones tht came up so far.

1.) You are correct.
2.) Correct.
3.) Not sure; this situation has never arisen.
4.) Correct.
5.) Correct.
6.) Correct.
7.) Correct.
8.) I believe so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. No. An open gate replaces a location. So all you can do the next turn is to seal again.
8. Yes, all monsters are removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mosher
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#3. That is debatable depending on how you want to play the game, in fact, the game's creator wrote a "house rules" set that my group just adopted out of adoration and respect, but his take on this concept was staggeringly different from the game rules' and the previous responder's opinion:

(in paraphrase)

A gate to another world is only about eight feet across, in a circle, so in the Arkham locations it is entirely possible to visit a location where a gate has opened and not necessarily find your way into the gate. An investigator can therefore choose to go to a location and have a normal encounter instead of entering the gate. However, if a gate opens while an investigator is in the same location, the investigator is sucked through the gate and delayed in the other world.

(paraphrase out)

In short, if you choose to imagine the gates as veritable vacuums to the other worlds, then the answer to your question is no. I agree with the first poster in that it would be difficult to come upon a situation where one wouldn't want to close the gate. It is this gamer's opinion that an investigator exiting a gate would be able to have an encounter at the location instead of closing the gate, but on doing so risks being sent away to different Arkham locations, thus forfeiting their opportunity to close the gate.

Welcome to ARKHAM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Houserules are houserules. I only respond what are the official rulebook answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hurd
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Heres how the #3 came up in play:

I had one player who got sucked into the portal without the adequate clues to seal it once he came back from exploring. Player two ran over got a bank loan and then to the curiosity (sp.) shop to farm an elder sign (this took a few turns). Once Player 2 got the elder sign he needed to get back over to Player one (who in this case was with a gate at independence square). Now if player 1 had left the gate he would have lost his explored symbol, and if he closed it, it would have just gone away without being sealed (BAD). So basically he was stuck in a holding pattern at the open gate until Player two could get to him and trade out the newly farmed elder sign. If I am reading the rules correctly, Player two was able to "drop" the sign off to player 1 because he didn't end his turn in the space with the open gate, so he wasn't sucked in. This meant player one was in the independence squeare gate for two turns or so not wanting to try toi close the gate and make it vanish beofre he got the elder sign. At the time, it seemed appropriate for him to be having Arkham encounters from the deck while he was waiting instead of just standing around.

BTW one more question, if you enter a square with an open gate you need to either evade all monsters or reolve all combat wiht them before you can enter the gate right? This also seems to work against the "Suck-O-Lux" nature of the gates. Once you either evade or destroy the monsters, you automatically go to the other dimension, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely do not get a standard encounter at a location with a gate. If there's a gate on a location, your encounter is either to be sucked in (if you have no explored marker) or to try and close the gate (if you have an explored marker.

If you can just sit there and do nothing is debateable. The rules say the 'you must do one of the following [...]' but they also state that an investigator 'may try to close a gate [...]'.

We always play that an action must be taken, but if you do not want to close a gate you can simply take the worst possible attribute in hopes for a failure. But in my eyes this just takes out some flavor and tension - the investigators want the gates to be closed, but they also want them to be sealed, and sometimes things don't happen as desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.