Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just watched Rhado's playthrough and whilst it looks a good game, I can see game length being a big problem for my group.

I can easily see this going 4 or 5 hours and that's assuming not too many rule book consultations and there's going to be, especially since there are all the different end game scenarios, to know.

Anyone have any suggestions to shorten it in someway?

By shorten I don't necessarily mean make it easier, the playthroughs I've watched play on standard mode which is what I would prefer. One other point though does the easy mode shorten the game or just make it easier?

A simple way I was thinking was to not have the pile of corpses slowing things down and no obstacles but these 2 things do seem integral to the fun of the game so is there any other way to shorten the game. A shortened game might make it more likely for my group to then play it in a standard way and not run to the hills at it's mere mention which is what some of them do if I suggest things like Arkham or Dominant Species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is a reasonable set of questions...

...you should probabaly play the game first to get a sense of how it plays before you try to make mods, it might also give you more ideas of how to shorten if that is a concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes play first!
The easiest to do it to have on less day but to start 3 spaces from the official start space.
For your first game, play on easy mode and go for the boats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty long game (I'd say about 3-3,5 hours), but I can't imagine it taking 4-5 hours.
Easy mode will not make the game significantly shorter.

If you want to modify the game, I'd also suggest having one less day to complete the game and starting a few spaces ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Simmons

Sacramento
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game at least ten times now with at least five different sets of people and it's usually four of us playing and twice we had five players. I can say from experience that the only times we've played in less than five hours was when we played on "easy" or when we died early on. I'm sure a two player game would play faster. I think the rules themselves add at least an hour to game play, as they are horribly translated and you'll find yourself flipping back and forth to constantly refer to what to do next or to determine what something means. Even so, this game is fantastic fun and one of my favorites. Better yet, out of the twelve people I've introduced to this, all but one loved it and she only disliked it due to the length of play. It has a way of drawing a player into the game and gives one a feeling of investment into the events unfolding. I plan to get the 2nd edition because I want to support the designer's efforts and who knows...maybe it will even be a better game. The rule book can't be any worse. I'd heartily recommend the game, even with the rulebook and length of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.