Mafia de Cuba» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Mafia de Cuba PBF #3 - Modbot Takes a Diamond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiwi's ModBot
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summary of the game (stolen from Itai):
The game is about the Godfather of the Cuban Mafia wanting to check the loyalty of his followers. To do so, he organized a big meeting, and offers around his cigar box. This cigar box has a hidden compartment containing his fortune. The Godfather knows his lieutenants know about it, and if some are unfaithful, they will certainly try to take some. That way, he'll be able to find who the traitors are.

So here's how it works. One player plays the godfather and the others play the lieutenant. First the godfather passes around the table his cigar box. When the other players get the box, the have to take something from it, either diamonds (as many as they want) in which case they will be thieves or a secret role.

The main roles are as follows:
- the faithful win with the godfather and try to help him get his diamonds back
- the thieves are trying to avoid detection. If the godfather fails in finding all the thieves, the thief with the most diamonds wins.
- the cia or fbi agent wants the godfather to accuse him, allowing him to make his arrest, in which case he'll win alone.

Once the godfather gets his box back, he'll start interrogating the people in order to find out what happened and where the diamonds are. Of course people can lie, bluff, volunteer information...
When the godfather thinks he knows who one the thieves are, he can accuse him, in which case, he'll have to show what he took. If it is diamonds, the godfather gets them back and the player is out of the game. If it is a CIA/FBI role, the person accused wins. If it is another role, the godfather will have to excuse himself with a bottle of rhum. If he needs to do this, and he doesn't have any rhum left, the game is over and the thief with the most diamonds wins.

Complete rules adapted to PBF:

The Roles:
- The Godfather: He wins if he succeeds in getting back all his diamonds. He loses if he accuses an FBI or CIA agent, or if he accuses another non-thief role and doesn't have a bottle of rhum to excuse himself.
- The Faithful: They win or lose with the godfather
- The FBI/CIA agent: They win alone if they are accused by the godfather (which enables them to arrest him). They lose otherwise. Note that the agents are not working together (one is CIA the other FBI), so if one wins the other still loses.
- The Thief: They win if the Godfather accuses someone other than an agent wrongly and can't give out a bottle of rhum to excuse himself, and they have the most diamonds. In case of a tie, the richest thieves win together.
- The Driver: They win or lose with the player who got the box before he did.
- The Street kid: They win if one of the thieves wins. They lose otherwise.

Phase 1:
Setup for 12 players:
At the beginning of the game, the box initially contains:
- 15 diamonds
- 5 Faithful roles
- 2 Agent roles
- 2 Driver roles

The Godfather starts the game with 2 bottles of rhum.

Here are the specific rules of Phase 1:
- The Godfather may decide to remove 1 to 5 diamonds from the box before passing it to the next player.
- With the exception of the Godfather and the last player, all players must take something from the box--either a single role or as many diamonds as they want, causing them to become a thief.
- The first player after the Godfather, in addition to their normal play, may decide to remove 1 role from the game.
- Players who receive an empty box automatically become Street Kids
- The last player may choose not to take anything and become a Street Kid even if the box is not empty.

Phase 2:
- Once the Godfather gets the box back and learns what is left, he'll start interrogating the players to try to get back the diamonds (asking specific people what roles were left in the box when they got it, or how many diamonds were left, asking how many diamonds the took...)
- The interrogated player must give an answer (though of course they need not tell the truth)
- Other players are free to participate freely in the discussion, giving the godfather information, assuring him of their loyalty, accusing another player, et cetera
- No element of the game (role or diamonds) may be shown, except when a person is accused (see below)
- The Godfather, when he thinks he knows who one of the thieves is, will post in bold "empty pockets of player". modkiwi will then post what was taken.
- If diamonds were taken, the godfather recovers them. If the player is an agent, the game ends immediately and the accused agent wins. If the accused player is any other role, the Godfather must excuse himself by giving out a bottle of rhum. If he can't, the game ends, and the richest thieves win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiwi's ModBot
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List
Player list according to ModKiwi:
Itai
JarekWarsaw
Lxndr
ortho_
SarahBoBara
ShogunCharlie
Tim Pong

7 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game, post signup in bold.
To remove yourself from this game, post remove in bold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiwi's ModBot
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
current status

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiwi's ModBot
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you may post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
msg tools
badge
Well behaved women don't defeat empires.
mbmbmbmbmb
signup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Existence is the search for relief from our habit, and our habit is the only relief we can find.
mbmbmbmbmb
signup

(because sarah told me to, reading rules now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
signup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pong
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
signup

I want to try this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what the hell, signup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
signup

Gonna try and hunt this down at Essen, might as well try it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
signup

Oops, didn't read carefully enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
signup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we have seven players, I'm going to finish implementing it in modkiwi, and plan to start once it's ready.
If anyone signs up before then, they're welcome to join, but this is your final warning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally determined on a method to determine who will be Godfather:

everyone (should) post, in bold, godfather weight, where weight is an integer between 0 and 10 (inclusive).
When the game starts, these weights will be added, and a Godfather will be chosen at random, each person having probability (their weight) / (total weight) of being chosen.
Players who do not choose will be given a weight of 1.
No player who chooses a weight of 0 will be chosen, unless all players choose a weight of 0, in which case a player will be chosen at random with equal weight for everyone.

Quick summary:
Post "godfather 10" in bold if you really want to be the Godfather.
Post "godfather 0" in bold if you really don't want to be the Godfather.
Pick a number in between if your desire is somewhere in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will start no earlier than tomorrow (September 1) at 18:00 BGG time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before the game starts, we should talk about who should be our godfather.

I think it is quite important that whoever is the godfather has as much availability as possible, as he should be there to ask questions to the other players whenever they are there.

Would you agree ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 4 Europeans I don't think that timezones will be a big issue. I'll be happy with random godfather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiwi13cubed wrote:
Quick summary:
Post "godfather 10" in bold if you really want to be the Godfather.
Post "godfather 0" in bold if you really don't want to be the Godfather.
Pick a number in between if your desire is somewhere in between.

To clarify, I want this to happen before the game starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pong
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
godfather 1

I would prefer not to play as the godfather my first game, but I would be OK with it if everyone else picks a 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
godfather 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pong
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Did everyone leave? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Pong wrote:
Did everyone leave? ninja
I dunno? Kinda looks that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here.

modkiwi, are you ready to start ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remove

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let everyone know what's going on with this, I haven't gotten around to working on modkiwi for this yet, and I'm going to be pretty busy with RL stuff the next couple weeks, so this won't be starting for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.