Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing AH Kremlin on and off since it first came out, and have a copy of the Avalon Hill 2nd ed. release. Is it worth it to pick up a copy of the JR edition as well, or should I stick to AH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I think you have the best version of the game right now.
Full disclosure, I have not seen a copy of the new release, but I have heard lots about it. I don't think you gain anything by picking up the new one.
The board has a couple of minor errors that need fixes. Have a look at the pics and see if you like the new graphics. Otherwise, I don't see the point, myself.

edit; you might also want to go to the forum for the game and read through some of the conversations that talk about the differences. Currently most of this can be found on the 2nd and 3rd pages of the forums.

Welcome to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both (I backed the kickstarter) and I'd recommend sticking with your AH version.

The JR version had multiple card errors. JR did send out replacement cards, however there have been complaints about not receiving them that have not (to my knowledge) been answered. So who knows what you'll get.

There is also a rather ugly board error on the JR version. There was talk of making corrected boards available for purchase, but a question about that has gone unanswered for seven months on the kickstarter page... so I'm guessing it isn't happening

Also, this may just be me, but I find some of the changes to be annoying. For example, Karl Krakenheads being renamed to Karl Krakenbals, etc. Maybe I'm just a purist, but I'm attached to the classic AH politicians, and would have rather had them remained as they were, but with better components.

Just my $0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased the new edition and began digging through the seemingly endless piles of errata, variants, rules clarifications/interpretations...and then I sold it. I simply didn't have the patience. I would recommend you stick with your AH version.

The new version looks really nice if you're dedicated enough to figure out the best way to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poserdisposer wrote:
I purchased the new edition and began digging through the seemingly endless piles of errata, variants, rules clarifications/interpretations...and then I sold it. .

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it depends. The AH version is fine, but if you want the modern/historical variants, go for that as well.

If you do, you can either use the AH rules or use the revised rulebook on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the KS version and I must say, if you have the AH version in good shape still, and like the ruleset, don't bother with the KS version. The only reason I am keeping mine is because the event cards stock is better than the old, but that's it. I don't like the dark board(with the logo annoyingly loverlaping important text)and the party member photos are "meh" to me. So, we're using the event cards from the new printing but for everything else, we're using the old stuff.

I always found the original AH board to be the weak point of the game, as it has a really amateur look, but I never thought someone could design an even uglier one.(the dark color is simply depressing, and not in line with the "fun" mood of the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
I own both (I backed the kickstarter) and I'd recommend sticking with your AH version.

The JR version had multiple card errors. JR did send out replacement cards, however there have been complaints about not receiving them that have not (to my knowledge) been answered. So who knows what you'll get.

People did not receive them (including our group) and all the bloke running JR did was blame the mail system in our country when it was sent by his mail system, then he just went quiet.
I would not trust this guy again.

elitusprime wrote:
There is also a rather ugly board error on the JR version. There was talk of making corrected boards available for purchase, but a question about that has gone unanswered for seven months on the kickstarter page... so I'm guessing it isn't happening

Not from JR it ain't.

Poserdisposer wrote:
I purchased the new edition and began digging through the seemingly endless piles of errata, variants, rules clarifications/interpretations...and then I sold it. I simply didn't have the patience. I would recommend you stick with your AH version.

Did the same myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
elitusprime wrote:

People did not receive them (including our group) and all the bloke running JR did was blame the mail system in our country when it was sent by his mail system, then he just went quiet.
I would not trust this guy again.

Thanks for that update. I guess I was lucky in that I did receive the corrected cards.

However, I saw complaints from folks about never receiving them, and I've wondered if they ever came through. I guess not. That's really bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy after it had been out for a while, and the corrected cards were included.

Sadly, I have not been able to convince my group to try this yet. (I missed out on the AH edition back in the day.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was mainly looking at the JR edition because of the revolution and modern variants, but from what I'm reading, it sounds like my money would be better spent on a copy of the original AH Revolution expansion. Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. I bring the JR version if I play it. I think it looks better than the AH edition. To me the most annoying part of the JR edition is the color banner for the 8 politburo positions match the color for the 8 turn sequences. But they don't correspond correctly. An example is the green shade for the Spy Investigation is used for the FM position, but that position doesn't handle that action.

I will say though an advantage with the JR version is it's capable of playing whatever version you like. You can play everything from the original to the modern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad they didn't include the original version, as now that one is pretty much impossible to acquire at a reasonable price and will probably now never be re-made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.