Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an attacker uses both the winterized bonus and the Blitz table on the 2D10 combat chart, and if the attacker suffers a 2nd loss, must the 2nd loss be a motorized (MOT, MECH, ARM) or winterized unit? Or does the attacker get to choose the 2nd loss, such as an accompanying MIL unit? The language of the 2D10 chart only indicates that the 1st loss is mandatory. I did a search on the Internet and came up with this discussion on the Matrix forum which would support that the attacker always chooses the 2nd loss. I didn't find anything in the FAQ or rulebook.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3780218&mpage=2&k...;

Example: Germany attacks a clear hex in Blizzard using a MTN, MECH division, MOT division, and various other units. He has more MECH units than his opponent (the target hex does not have any ARM or AT guns either). So Germany uses the Blitz table and gains a +1 bonus from the MTN unit. If Germany were to get a net result of 13 on the 2D10, he could choose to destroy the MOT division to satisfy the mandatory first loss, then he could choose to destroy a MIL as the second loss. Correct? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatecrasher wrote:
If an attacker uses both the winterized bonus and the Blitz table on the 2D10 combat chart, and if the attacker suffers a 2nd loss, must the 2nd loss be a motorized (MOT, MECH, ARM) or winterized unit? Or does the attacker get to choose the 2nd loss, such as an accompanying MIL unit? The language of the 2D10 chart only indicates that the 1st loss is mandatory. I did a search on the Internet and came up with this discussion on the Matrix forum which would support that the attacker always chooses the 2nd loss. I didn't find anything in the FAQ or rulebook.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3780218&mpage=2&k...;

Example: Germany attacks a clear hex in Blizzard using a MTN, MECH division, MOT division, and various other units. He has more MECH units than his opponent (the target hex does not have any ARM or AT guns either). So Germany uses the Blitz table and gains a +1 bonus from the MTN unit. If Germany were to get a net result of 13 on the 2D10, he could choose to destroy the MOT division to satisfy the mandatory first loss, then he could choose to destroy a MIL as the second loss. Correct? Thanks.

I don't usually play 2 D 10 but when I do, I've always played that the second loss is chosen by the attacker, I also don't remember seeing any reference to the second loss so I thought it followed the normal rule.

So my take is 'correct'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Bruce. I'm researching this between sessions so I'm prepared for my next moves. I ran into an interesting situation where, because of Allied defensive shore bombardment and potential ground support, I actually get a higher die roll modifier by attacking in Blizzard than I would in Clear weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I guess a real life example of bad weather helping the attacker is the Battle of the Bulge where the attack was based on the poor weather and therefore the inability to use air support.

Now a blizzard though. ......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Breunor wrote:

I don't usually play 2 D 10 but when I do, I've always played that the second loss is chosen by the attacker, I also don't remember seeing any reference to the second loss so I thought it followed the normal rule.

So my take is 'correct'.

I only ever use 2d10 and yep, only the first loss is subject to the 'mandatory loss' things. Anything beyond the first always attacker's choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another example of poor weather potentially benefiting the attacker is if the defending hex is a MECH/ARM stack and the weather is rain, substituting a -5 penalty for a -2. The caveat to that is that no attacking armor bonus would count.

I definitely recommend it though. Playing 2d10 with fractional odds means a lot less factor counting, and a lot more throwing what you can at it and hoping for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of nice things about the Blitz table is that it minimizes attacker losses and if there is no retreat path for the defender the attacker only needs to achieve a result of 16 or higher to completely destroy the enemy stack. With the proper force composition, I can make riskier attacks and only risk losing a MOT division and possibly a 2nd unit, such as a MIL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.