Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did see a buddy of mine pick up the new edition but I really didn't study the new board. I'm not a fan of the puzzle board, so I'm wondering if I can just use the original board instead of the new round one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puzzle board? You mean the geometry of the regions?

Well, the rockets and several mission cards refer/picture those regions. I think it would be quite confusing and slow to use them together with the old board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means the jigsaw-cut board, i.e. it's in two(?) parts that fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces

Espinoza wrote:

Well, the rockets and several mission cards refer/picture those regions. I think it would be quite confusing and slow to use them together with the old board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:

I'm referring to the fact that the board is in 4 pieces. I personally find it annoying. It could have been made into a round folding board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Round folding boards are a nightmare to manufacture and QA.

I don't mind a round board, but they definitely could have just done a square board with a circular image like the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Horror Leader wrote:

I don't mind a round board, but they definitely could have just done a square board with a circular image like the original.

I was the one who insisted on the circular board, for several reasons.

• It looks nicer on a game table, especially with Phobos and the Memorial next to it.
• it takes less space on the table.
• it's much more convenient to place the discovery cards - just slip them under the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:

• It looks nicer on a game table, especially with Phobos and the Memorial next to it.
• it's much more conveninpent to place the discovery cards - just slip them under the board.

I wholly support round boards in games with planets. Just play Onward to Venus. That's a beauty on the table. Really looking forward to this new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the round board is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:

• it's much more convenient to place the discovery cards - just slip them under the board.

I just wish it wasn't in 4 pieces. The edges of the copy I saw were already "uneven". If I were to slide an astronaut from one board piece to another, it would catch the edge of the board. I saw the same thing happen with a friend's copy of Scoville (which is a puzzle board as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheipaz geimur
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VictorTheGeek wrote:

I just wish it wasn't in 4 pieces. The edges of the copy I saw were already "uneven". If I were to slide an astronaut from one board piece to another, it would catch the edge of the board. I saw the same thing happen with a friend's copy of Scoville (which is a puzzle board as well).

hmmmm… i haven't seen any copies of this in person, but I could see this causing some wear on the edges if they're uneven

i may end up doing something crazy like cutting a piece of round clear plastic to place over the board… like how some restaurants put a big piece of glass over the tablecloth, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
young281 wrote:
VictorTheGeek wrote:

hmmmm… i haven't seen any copies of this in person, but I could see this causing some wear on the edges if they're uneven

i may end up doing something crazy like cutting a piece of round clear plastic to place over the board… like how some restaurants put a big piece of glass over the tablecloth, lol

It's not crazy, wargamers do it all the time with paper maps. Plexi is in plentiful supply at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the puzzle board in Darkest Night (First edition) and have never had problems with moving pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.