Subject: A Couple of Rule Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Watkins
United States
Oak Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
Just got the game and my cousin and I played it last weekend. Match was Marmelee vs. King Alexian. He kind of got trounced. Even after analyzing Marmelee's stuff after the game it definitely seems like a very hard matchup for her, mostly because whenever she gets stunned she loses concentration. We continued to read about the different modes and come to tag team battles, which brought up this question.

If you have things that happen at some point during the turn, of a non-active character, do those UA happen, or are they ignored unless they're the active character during those steps.
Examples:
When Marmelee is tagged out does she gain a Concentration during the Recycle Step?
Does Cesar gain Threat during antes when he isn't active?

I then decided to try the Dungeons and used Cesar, and another question came up, can monsters share a space since they're technically on the same team, or do they jump over like normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digi holic
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Marmelee is honestly just a really weak character. She has about three good matchups and loses to everyone else. If you want someone with that sort of playstyle that has less polarizing matchups, try Clive from Flight 4.

Tagged out characters do nothing, ever. You don't gain tokens during ante, you don't rotate styles, and any markers you have on the board lose all effects (although they do stay in place). Tagged out characters are effectively frozen in time until you bring them back in. Marmelee would not gain concentration, Cesar wouldn't gain threat, Pendros wouldn't activate his environments, Kaitlyn's wormholes would just be ignored, etc.

In dungeons, monsters can share a space with eachother, but never with the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Watkins
United States
Oak Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
Okie dokey. Yeah it seemed like Marmelee was pretty weak. Her Alternate UA seems like it'd make her more viable, but still not awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically I like Marm, but she does have issues holding on to her books. I think she could use help from a simple buff like: "Whenever Marmalee is stunned by damage, she loses all concentration counters she possesses."

That way people with autostuns won't wreck her so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on picking up the game! I hope you have a blast, and be sure to look into BattleCON Online (which is currently active and overfunded on Kickstarter) if you like it. ^.^

Marmelee isn't that weak, but she's bloody hard to play. Here's a handy guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt_JMPApmOU

I haven't yet seen a skilled Marmelee player in person, but her potential is quite high. I'll try to start getting better at her so I can defend her properly. =P

I can't be sure of your Recycle question without having a Tag base handy (mine have gone missing), but Unique Abilities must be done when possible. Since she gains a Concentration counter during the Recycle step, she will gain that counter even during the beat she plays Tag, since the Recycle step still occurs.

It's after the Recycle step that the player tags in a different character; if you switched characters before the Recycle step, Tag (and the style you played with it) would be in limbo, never entering the discards, ne?

However, tagged-out characters are not in the game, and none of their abilities or effects function (unless otherwise stated, but none like that currently exist).

Monsters treat each other as allies. They can share spaces, and if they do, they also share (additively) Soak and Stun Guard.

Happy battling! I'd challenge you, but I've never done play-by-forum and I'm not exactly local. Have fun,

Tiran Kin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.