Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of The Ring - Free AutoPlayer Rules 5.1 by Magic Geek

These instructions allow a solo player to automate the Free Peoples side in order to play solo as the Shadow.

— Set up normally
— Follow these Autoplayer instructions for the Free Peoples actions
— The Free Peoples never draw cards at the start of a turn
— Play the Shadow, as you choose
— Standard Victory conditions apply

To resolve a Free Peoples Action Die, pick the legal action with the lowest number

0. Resurrect Gandalf
— Use a Will of the West to bring in Gandalf the White in Fangorn
1. Move Fellowship
— Use a Will of the West, then Character
— Use an Elven Ring + Muster, Army, then Palantir once per turn to move the Fellowship
2. Hide Fellowship
— Use Strider’s Guide ability with Muster, Army, then Palantir
— Use a Will of the West, then Character
3. Use a Palantir
— Resolve top Strategy card. If it puts units on the board, do so and end
— If it does not resolve, resolve the top Character card
— If it does not resolve, alternate Event decks until an Event card resolves
4. Use a Muster
4.1 Add an Elite to the first listed location that is At War, not under siege, and at or below starting forces:
— Minas Tirith, Helm’s Deep, Woodland Realm, Dol Amroth, Lorien, Rivendell, Edoras, Erebor, Dale
— If every legal muster site in that list is above starting forces, add a regular to the first two legal locations but never reinforce above 5 units
4.2 Pass
4.3 Move one nation down the Political Track, in order of precedence: Gondor, Elves, Rohan, Dwarves, North

The Fellowship

The Guide and Hunt damage
Gandalf starts as guide (his Guide ability is already factored into the way cards are played), Gandalf dies at the first opportunity.
While Strider is the guide, take all Hunt damage as Corruption until it would exceed 6, then take a random casualty for subsequent Hunt tiles.
After Strider, Gimli, then Legolas, then Boromir become the guide.
Merry and Pippin will separate to reduce corruption and move to the closest Free stronghold, then army, if possible. Dice as tiebreaker. Otherwise, do not separate or move Companions.
Gollum will use his guide ability to reveal, if corruption is 10 or more.
Use Axe & Bow, Horn of Gondor, and Wizard's Staff at the first opportunity.
Use Mithril Coat & Sting when an Eye, Red Tile or 3 is drawn.

Outside Mordor
The Fellowship stays in Rivendell.
Declare the Fellowship only if it reduces Hunt rerolls.
The Fellowship goes through Moria, Eastemnet, and Osgiliath to Mordor, picking the path of least Hunt rerolls.
Fellowship does not declare otherwise and will stay in Rivendell as long as possible.
Ignore '1. Move the Fellowship' when the Fellowship has moved far enough to get to Mordor. Auto will Pass, and when forced will play WoW as Palantirs, and then ignore Character dice. The Fellowship moves to the Mordor track next turn.

On the Mordor Track
If the Shadow has 10 VPs, ignore all restriction and move the Fellowship.
The Fellowship always moves at least once in Mordor, if possible.
The Fellowship will continue to move, provided an Eye would not result in a Shadow victory.
— When deciding if Corruption is too high to move, subtract the level of the guide. Subtract one for both Merry and Pippin if exactly one other Companion is left in the Fellowship.

If a Will of the West or Character is not going to be used for movement, use another die.
Pass if there is no other different die.
If the Free Peoples cannot Pass, use a Will of the West, then Character, to play the top Character Event. If it does not resolve, keep playing Character Events until one does.

If the Fellowship does not move because of Corruption, the choice of Event decks permanently changes.
— All further Event cards played for 3. Use a Palantir now draws are Character Events.
— All further Combat cards are now drawn from the Strategy deck.
— If either deck runs out, use cards from the remaining deck.

Armies and Combat

All garrisons retreat into siege and never fight field battles.

Combat Cards
Each round, the Shadow may select a combat card. Then roll a die:
2 or less = no Free Peoples Combat card
3 or 4 = draw a Strategy card and play its Combat effect, if possible
5 or 6 = draw a Character card and play its Combat effect, if possible

2nd round, subtract 1
3rd round, subtract 2
4th+ round, subtract 3

Retreats
After one round of battle, or if Scouts is played, retreat a Free Peoples Army as follows:
— Fords of Isen to Helm's Deep
— Dale goes to Woodland Realm, otherwise Erebor
— Osgiliath to Pelargir
— Pelargir to Osgiliath
— Iron Hills to Erebor
— Ered Luin to Grey Havens
Scouts has no effect anywhere else.
All other locations fight to the death.

Strategy Combat cards
Resolve as normal.

Character Combat cards
— 
Heroic Death (3x), Sudden Strike (2x), Fateful Strike - resolve as normal.
— 
Nameless Wood, Huorn-dark, Ent Rage - resolve if combat is in Rohan. 

It Is a Gift (4x) - resolve if combat is at Rivendell and the Fellowship is present.
Mighty Attack, Brave Stand, Daring Defiance, Anduril, Servant of the Secret Fire, Blade of Westernesse - use these cards if possible, but it is unlikely.
All others have no effect.

Events

Free Peoples Strategy Events

Skip The Last Battle, Book of Mazarbul, Fear! Fire! Foes!, Through a Day and a Night, Help Unlooked For, Paths of the Woses (1,4,7,10,11,12)

— The Spirit of Mordor (5) - Dice among applicable mixed Shadow Armies
Faramir's Rangers (6)- Attack Osgiliath, South Ithilien, then North Ithilien.
Cirdan's Ships (13) - If Elves are at War, place biggest Elves available in Dol Amroth, then Pelargir, then Grey Havens, if possible.

Eomer, Son of Eomund (23) - Reinforce in Helm's Deep if not under siege, otherwise Edoras, Westemnet, Folde
Resolve other protection and recruitment cards (2,3,9,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,24) as normal but without any extra Strategy card draws.

Free Peoples Character Events
Skip I Will Go Alone, Mirror of Galadriel, Challenge of the King, Gwaihir the Windlord, We Prove the Swifter, There and back again, The Eagles are Coming!, Dead Men of Dunharrow, House of the Stewards, The Grey Company (11,13,14,15,16,17,18,22,23,24)
— Resolve special tile, healing, and Hunt protection cards (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12) as normal.
The Ents Awake (19,20,21) - If Gandalf is in Fangorn, resolve the Ent attack on Orthanc and then try to resolve another SINGULAR Character Event, once, no redraw.

Noob Bonus Override

If this is your first game, make it easy on yourself. We want you to learn the game, and enjoy it. Trying to find obscure parts of the map for Free Strategy reinforcements is hard, so is looking up Free Character cards and combat cards.

You have enough cards to read. ... So, ignore them.

- Do not play any Combat Cards for the Free.
- Do not resolve any Palantirs for the Free, just use the die and move on.

Also, there are some commonly missed rules that the Autoplayer does abide by:
* A nation can not muster to At War if it has not been activated.
* Only one Elven ring can be used per turn.
* The Autoplayer never draws cards.
* Nazgul can not just move to Rivendell, they need to besiege it with an Army first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated Magic Geek's Autoplay rules (above) from 3.0 to 5.1 following completion of the play-by-forum game BGG vs. The Clockwork Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it last night using these rules.

Althought i did enjoy it. It did seem like a "Rush to dunk" at all costs.
Once u realise that, as SP there are ways to max your chance of successful hunts. I'm sure I made a few mistakes too.

Still enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Question about FSP moving outside of Mordor. Let's say the FSP is in Eastemnet, and is revealed during the hunt and must move one space. There is a Nazgul in the Druadan Forest. Will the FSP go the long way around via Western Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes to get to Osgiliath? Or will it go straight into the Druadan Forest despite the extra Nazgul re-roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genoah77 wrote:
Question about FSP moving outside of Mordor. Let's say the FSP is in Eastemnet, and is revealed during the hunt and must move one space. There is a Nazgul in the Druadan Forest. Will the FSP go the long way around via Western Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes to get to Osgiliath? Or will it go straight into the Druadan Forest despite the extra Nazgul re-roll?

Straight into Druadan Forest. To maximize speed, the autoplayer does not deviate from the FSP's appointed path, avoiding expending additional moves. The only instances where there's a viable alternative are Fords of Bruinen vs Trollshaws and North vs South Ithilien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. Another question: will the autoplayer use an elven ring once per turn to hide the fellowship if Strider is not the guide and there is no character die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Morris Tobin
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
I have updated Magic Geek's Autoplay rules (above) from 3.0 to 5.1 following completion of the play-by-forum game BGG vs. The Clockwork Fellowship.

I haven't been about to find the original Magic Geek's Autoplay Rules, despite searching. Would you be able to post a link to them? Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mt77584 wrote:
Rafamir wrote:

I haven't been about to find the original Magic Geek's Autoplay Rules, despite searching. Would you be able to post a link to them? Thank you in advance!

3.0 version is at this post. A living version is maintained on the WotR Facebook page that MG has tweaked a number of times and which I have used for updating this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Morris Tobin
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I appreciate your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rafamir for this great summary

I do have a question though, why is 4.2 Pass and 4.3 Move 1 Nation down Political Track ?

Shouldnt we move Nation down PT before passing the die ? Im confused

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps so the die can be held back to recruit in response to Shadow card plays- e.g. Return to Valinor (not that that sees much use!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also hoping to get a different situation in which you can use the die is probably better. The last resort (if passing is not possible) then and only then "waste" a die in the political track.

Notice the "waste" since it is a matter of perspective. If you are focusing on the fellowship advancing nations will be your last resort. While if you focus on military moving the fellowship is more of a "waste"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK my bad, I missunderstood "Pass" as being "Not use the die at all" instead of "FP Auto Player waits if Active Player has more dice".

Thanks for the help guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys !

Sorry, another questions, Ive not actually cover all subtleties in the game so my questions may look weird...

Quote:
Merry and Pippin will separate to reduce corruption and move to the closest Free stronghold, then army, if possible. Dice as tiebreaker. Otherwise, do not separate or move Companions.

Not sure what this exactly means. Please tell me if I understand it the right way :
If Merry or Pippin is the Guide, and you draw a Hunt tile, separate him from the Fellowship and reduce corruption accordingly. Then move him from the fellowship progression track + Merry/Pippin level toward the closest free stronghold. If all stronghold are under siege, then move him toward the closest army. But what if the allowed movement does not get him actually in a Stronghold Region or in a Region with an army ? Does he stay in an empty Region forever (as we cannot move any companion in this solo variant) ?
Or maybe I understand it all wrong and he should be directly placed INTO the closest Region with free stronghold, or directly INTO the closest Region with an army (without considering any basic movement rules) ?
Also for what purpose should Dice be use as tiebreaker ? I wasnt able to find out yet...

Finally, each time it is said "then..." it means we should do the following if the previous thing is not possible correct ? For example in the above case, "then army" means they should move to army if there are no available free stronghold, correct ?

Thanks for your help !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Merry or Pippin cannot reach a stronghold or army then they are effectively stuck in a non-useful place for the remainder of the game. Your reading of "then" is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played my 1st solo game as Shadow last weekend, and this rules went pretty well
Managed to win but it was a close call, FSP was 2 steps away from Mount Doom...

I do have a remark though based on a game situation that occurs late in the game :
Strider was the Guide in Mordor. Gimli was the only remaining companion. FSP had 10 Corruption points. 4 Eyes in Hunt box

When checking the rules it says :
Rafamir wrote:
The Guide and Hunt damage
[...]
While Strider is the guide, take all Hunt damage as Corruption until it would exceed 6, then take a random casualty for subsequent Hunt tiles.
[...]

On the Mordor Track
The Fellowship will continue to move, provided an Eye would not result in a Shadow victory.
— When deciding if Corruption is too high to move, subtract the level of the guide. Subtract one for both Merry and Pippin if exactly one other Companion is left in the Fellowship.

The issue is that, based on my understanding of the rules, 4 eyes in hunt box would mean a loss for FP, but substracting Aragorn level (3) would grant a move. Though, take a random casualty after, could fall upon Gimli and make FP loose the game.
In this specific case, should we remove Aragorn (the Guide) as a casualty (instead of a random casualty) ?
That could make the game last a little longer for the FP and maybe give them a further chance of victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're thinking like a human, not a robot. Yes, taking the guide (Strider) as casualty is the rational choice and there's nothing to stop you from fiddling the solo rules to allow that. I'll see if MG wants to amend the auto play rules to account for the situation you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Karkoulas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really interesting. Thanks!

Just one question. By "skipping" the cards do you mean removing them from the decks at the start of the game, discarding them and drawing next card or simply discarding them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you draw any of the cards to be skipped, just discard them instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Karkoulas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.