Roy B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Granted, Pokemon may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is absolutely rediculous (at least in my opinion). Your thoughts?

Meanwhile, I will see what additional info I can dig up about this.

http://patch.com/massachusetts/backbay/police-stop-heavily-a...

Edit: As promised, I managed to unearth a bit more info on this (including pics of these losers).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3208208/Police-foil-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not how you catch 'em all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna be the very best like no one ever was..

To catch them is my real test; to train them is my cause!

I will travel across the land, searching far and wide!

Teach pokemon to understand the power that's inside!

POKEMON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
The facts in the story don't match the headline.

"Police seized the vehicle under a search warrant" very strongly suggests the guns were impounded well before there was any attempt to enter the tournament.

The packaging of the firearms in the pictures appears to support that too:
two identical boxes, guns (and at least one piece of extra equipment) attached to the boxes with cable ties.

It's possible the police use those boxes and cable ties for confiscated weapons, but it looks a lot like two young(ish) idiots bought some new "toys", displayed them on facebook, and decided to take them along on a road trip.

It will be interesting to see if there's any actual evidence of intent. One obviously jocular facebook response might be enough in the US, but it wouldn't be enough here to charge them with intending to shoot anyone.

NB: Of course they should be charged with "unlawful possession" if they weren't legally allowed to have those weapons in Boston. I'll be interested to learn whether they could legally own and transport those weapons even in their home state (Iowa) though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, they came from Iowa ? Seems like that state just attracts more idiots then any other state.

Just kidding Florida, you still hold the crown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AK-47, I choose you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vapix wrote:
The facts in the story don't match the headline.

"Police seized the vehicle under a search warrant" very strongly suggests the guns were impounded well before there was any attempt to enter the tournament.

That's not quite the quote:
Quote:
Detectives were told the suspects had driven to the event from Iowa and had several firearms in their vehicle. Officers seized their vehicle and executed a search warrant on Friday.

So somebody informed the police that these two yahoos were on their way with guns, and the police got a warrant to seize and search the car. They arrested the men later in a hotel.

Quote:
The packaging of the firearms in the pictures appears to support that too:
two identical boxes, guns (and at least one piece of extra equipment) attached to the boxes with cable ties.

It's possible the police use those boxes and cable ties for confiscated weapons, but it looks a lot like two young(ish) idiots bought some new "toys", displayed them on facebook, and decided to take them along on a road trip.

That photo was provided by the Boston Police Department and appears to be a fairly typical display of evidence for media perusal. (Note the cheap folding plastic tables on which they are displayed, and the folding chair nearby. That's not somebody's living room.)

Quote:
It will be interesting to see if there's any actual evidence of intent. One obviously jocular facebook response might be enough in the US, but it wouldn't be enough here to charge them with intending to shoot anyone.

NB: Of course they should be charged with "unlawful possession" if they weren't legally allowed to have those weapons in Boston. I'll be interested to learn whether they could legally own and transport those weapons even in their home state (Iowa) though.

From the same article: "Norton and Stumbo were both charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and other firearm related charges." Transportation across state lines is potentially a federal offense, though there are defenses; and most states and many cities, have their own rules for carrying around firearms in a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.