Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: So, artifacts are not "weapons"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
some seem to be weapons, and others almost could be viewed as "armor"...but, for purposes of "max allowed" (only 2 weapons/1 armore/2 allies allowed) they are not...correct?

unless card specifically calls an item a weapon, it is not a weapon...etc...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The text determines what sort of item the card is

So yes you are correct, unless card specifically calls an item a weapon, it is not a weapon...etc
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Torcida wrote:
The text determines what sort of item the card is

So yes you are correct, unless card specifically calls an item a weapon, it is not a weapon...etc


Good question, John_VW. I had to refresh myself on this rule when I played my first game in over a year.

Torcida is 100% correct. This is the rule that can really let someone run away and hide with a win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
Torcida wrote:
The text determines what sort of item the card is

So yes you are correct, unless card specifically calls an item a weapon, it is not a weapon...etc


Good question, John_VW. I had to refresh myself on this rule when I played my first game in over a year.

Torcida is 100% correct. This is the rule that can really let someone run away and hide with a win.
yeah, because we're still moving through our first game, and I already have 3 artifacts that are all very powerful (2 really are a form of a weapon, and the 3rd really an armor)...and we were thinking I shouldn't be allowed to carry all of them...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
...and we were thinking I shouldn't be allowed to carry all of them...

Then you can just make a house rule
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Torcida wrote:
John_VW wrote:
...and we were thinking I shouldn't be allowed to carry all of them...

Then you can just make a house rule
we just might...(2 would seem reasonable)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Torcida wrote:
John_VW wrote:
...and we were thinking I shouldn't be allowed to carry all of them...

Then you can just make a house rule
we just might...(2 would seem reasonable)

curious to know which cards are you talking about? I've played quite a bit of runebound and haven't found the need to houserule runes or artifacts. The one that comes to mind as being possibly overpowered is Ghost Armor, but like a lot of runes, it can be thought of as compensation to magic-oriented heroes (which are normally the toughest to get going).

On the other hand, RB occasionally has a runaway leader problem, so if one player consistently isn't able to get to some of the good items (or isn't playing optimally enough to do so), then maybe having a house rule would help.

Usually, though, it's the overpowered weapons that win the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Speck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifacts are artifacts. Although some look/act/feel like weapons or armor, it is a separate card type. My group and I have determined there is more arguments with house rules governing which artifacts are what weapon/armor, so we let them alone and they don't count towards card limits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeytheflop wrote:
Artifacts are artifacts. Although some look/act/feel like weapons or armor, it is a separate card type. My group and I have determined there is more arguments with house rules governing which artifacts are what weapon/armor, so we let them alone and they don't count towards card limits.
we've decided the same, however I think in our next game besides the weapons (2), armor (1) and allies (2) limits we're going to have a limit of 4 or 5 that would include anything else...(besides, I hardly remember as it is the benefits all the extra cards I've collected give me!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House rules are fine as long as you enjoy the game.

Personally I don't bother because often (not always) if someone is hoarding too much equipment then they are wasting time instead of rushing to the end battle, building a cool story but essentially lose the race. Then again, forcing people to limit their overall number of cards sounds totally reasonable.

If you end up drawing a bunch of cheap artifacts early on that might give someone a run-away win - but since I usually play solo that's an acceptable possibility.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can barely think of a game where I had so much overpowered stuff that I worried that limits needed to be created.

Honestly it sounds like either a extremely rare situation or you are taking a long time to end the game. Once you have a single excellent item you really should start thinking about going for the win.

Also you may want to check that you are following the activation limits correctly. Lots of items have to be activated and you are limited to a single Before Combat item (which can be very powerful) and a single activation per combat round. It is great if you have armor and a weapon but you have three phases a round and can only activate a single item during those three phases. Plus once activated the item is out of action until your next turn. Those limits do help reign in some issues with a single player having lots of powerful items.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.