Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through a combination of bad math and a typo, I listed an item in the Marketplace for significantly less than I intended. Needless to say, it was snapped up in a hurry.

My question is: What now? Do I suck it up and eat the loss? I don't think I should take a loss because of a mistake.
Do I contact the buyer and negotiate? I don't want him to feel like he's the victim of a bait and switch. I'd still give him a better deal than I intended to list it for.
I don't want to cancel the order outright and relist it--that wouldn't be cool at all.

Advice/precedent appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suck it up and take the loss. You should have been more carefull. Anything else will appear that you are trying to pull a fast one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Pettit
United States
Gardner
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would contact the buyer and try to explain the situation, but in the end if things don't work out, I would take the loss.

But, also I think it depends on the gravity of the mistake. If you wanted to sell something for $500 and accidentally sold it for $5 it might be worth sending a cancellation.

How much is significantly less?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd contact the buyer and work it out.
If he/she refuses to negotiate, I'd call the deal off as an honest mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ask Octavian first and see what he says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the first respondent. If it's significantly less, the buyer will understand if you are honest about the listing price being a mistake. If you haven't confirmed the purchase, you're not yet obligated to sell, and if you communicate to her what you intended to sell it for and that you're willing to make it up to her by giving a discount off that price, and that otherwise you'll just relist it for the proper full price, she can take it or leave it. Just be sure that if she turns you down you list it for the correct price afterwards, otherwise it WILL look shady indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Elizabeth Bay
New South Wales
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
Chat to the person and explain the situation we are all human and we make mistakes

As long as you are not this user who has a reputation for bait and switch tactics you should be alright.
Angela c/o WORK & JOB
Italy
LEINI
TORINO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do like people using ebay and Amazon, make up the difference with added shipping and handling charges!

But honestly, if I was to make a mistake I would just chalk it up as someone else's good fortune. Grats them! (And I have, but in the opposite manner accidentally bidding $55 instead of my intended $5 on an item.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
Suck it up and take the loss. You should have been more carefull. Anything else will appear that you are trying to pull a fast one.

How would canceling an order be "pulling a fast one"?

"Ha, ha, gotcha! You clicked on a button and then my item got pulled off the marketplace for a while! I'm a master of the fast ones!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're an individual - by all means go ahead an cancel - explain the the putative buyer what you had done.

Remember - a 'marketplace listing' is nothing but an 'invitation to treat' - not until you confirm the order does a contract exist (which helps to protect us all against a misplaced decimal point).

That the buyer snapped it up quickly tells you he saw an unanticipated bargain.

If you're a business seller, remember a marketplace listing is nothing but an 'invitation to treat' and no contract exists until you confirm the order.

I've made the odd mistake here and there for a few pounds so I don't normally bother too much about those mistakes. If it was a chunk of money though I'd have no hesitation in saying I'd made a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
enoon wrote:
Remember - a 'marketplace listing' is nothing but an 'invitation to treat' - not until you confirm the order does a contract exist (which helps to protect us all against a misplaced decimal point).
Exactly.
You are under no obligation to sell anything if the listed price was a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NewTroll wrote:
Do like people using ebay and Amazon, make up the difference with added shipping and handling charges!

But honestly, if I was to make a mistake I would just chalk it up as someone else's good fortune. Grats them! (And I have, but in the opposite manner accidentally bidding $55 instead of my intended $5 on an item.)

shoot, I've had ebay stores flat out cancel an order, because they put the price out wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well I don't think contacting the buyer is too out of line.... but if you do anything that's not following through with what they originally intended to buy it for expect a negative mark even if you work something still very much in their favor out.

You posting the game for that (mistakenly) low price was you agreeing to that price and them purchasing it is the buyer's agreement to the deal.
I'm with the first replay saying to suck it up and give them the great deal.

I've gotten a lot of unbelievable deals just because timing worked in my favor. So if I saw a great deal and them was told it was a mistake even if you gave me a good price it may still be over my budget and I'd be sour about it.

I guess it does depend on how much of a loss too...I think following through with it along with explaining it was a mistake and ask for a donation after they get it might be an ok action.
then again this is kinda why their are selling ratings, so just deal with having one negative mark? I'd read why and understand, no major foul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't confirm the sale and then relist it at the proper price. Let the buyer know. If it were me who bought it, I'd sure understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I thought there was a two hop process, the first is just a market order, and the second one was a market confirmation. It isn't till the second hop that money changes hand. I "think" this is to give the seller the option of not confirming the order. Just don't confirm the order and say the price was incorrect in the reason statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
well I don't think contacting the buyer is too out of line.... but if you do anything that's not following through with what they originally intended to buy it for expect a negative mark even if you work something still very much in their favor out.

You posting the game for that (mistakenly) low price was you agreeing to that price and them purchasing it is the buyer's agreement to the deal.
I'm with the first replay saying to suck it up and give them the great deal.

I've gotten a lot of unbelievable deals just because timing worked in my favor. So if I saw a great deal and them was told it was a mistake even if you gave me a good price it may still be over my budget and I'd be sour about it.

I guess it does depend on how much of a loss too...I think following through with it along with explaining it was a mistake and ask for a donation after they get it might be an ok action.
then again this is kinda why their are selling ratings, so just deal with having one negative mark? I'd read why and understand, no major foul.
There is almost nothing of merit, accuracy or honour in that post.

You can't get negative feedback if you haven't confirmed the sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Yeah, I thought there was a two hop process, the first is just a market order, and the second one was a market confirmation. It isn't till the second hop that money changes hand. I "think" this is to give the seller the option of not confirming the order. Just don't confirm the order and say the price was incorrect in the reason statement.

I would agree. Now if you have already confirmed the order, then I'd say you're on the hook for delivering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't confirmed it, you can cancel it. This is how BGG works, and I think the buyer will understand.

That said, if it's about $10 or less of an issue, I'd probably just eat it and send the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would explain and cancel. I don't think there should be an expectation to eat the cost here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Don't take it as a loss! People know and expect Amazon and other stores to cancel orders when there is a price mistake so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a guy trying to get some of his money back on a game he doesn't want anymore to do the same.

Apologize to the buyer and tell him that you made a mistake and that you can't sell the game at that price. Don't take the loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
enoon wrote:
Exactly.
You are under no obligation to sell anything if the listed price was a mistake.

Correct. Technically you "no longer have the item available at that price".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I've GMed the buyer and explained the mistake and asked him if he'll meet me halfway toward my intended list price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that was MUCH more gracious than you needed to be - or should have been expected to be. Hopefully your buyer will be equally as gracious and not take advantage of you and offer you your full price or decline to make the purchase and benefit from your mistake.

Let us know ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smoozer
msg tools
I am always shocked that people expect people to take a loss, essentially paying someone to take their product when they make a price mistake.

I've been involved with arguments in the past on this with Amazon 3rd party price mistakes and have always been pro-business in my argument rather than pro-consumer because you are essentially swooping in on human error, having someone pay to send you a game, bragging to the internet about it, having more people do it. Because somebody fat fingered on the keyboard does not mean you won the internet lottery. I would never expect a brick and mortar game store to honor a huge price mistake (although they probably would try to).

For instance, there was a big deal about mice and mystics a year or two ago. I contacted the seller after the fact and he said that he accidentally priced it below what he paid (something like $15 instead of $45), but he could not cancel the orders or Amazon would punish his seller score. He would be at no fault if buyers would cancel orders. But I had a hard time convincing people to do so.

So after having paid for the game, paid Amazon fees, and the extra for shipping, he was actually paying people like $10 per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
England
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should cancel. It's not a deal till you confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.