Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow geeks! It's Monday! Another week in the books and as the weekend ends and as we toil at our assorted labors, we should recount our past week of gaming exploits.

So, all you gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of gaming greatness over the past week, as you pop in here to answer the question:

What did you play over the past week?

Check out the subscription thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4115320

The Geeklist version can be found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/195760/what-did-you-play-...

Also, don't forget to relive all your Video Game excitement over on VGG!

https://videogamegeek.com/geeklist/195696/24-august-30-augus...

Subscribe so you don't miss a single moment of the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope everyone had a great week of gaming!!!

Twilight Struggle x1
Targi x1
Akrotiri x1

https://wdyptw.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/week-39/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4x Android: Netrunner
3x Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set
2x Lords of Waterdeep
2x Star Realms
1x Abyss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday
1x Cavemen: The Quest for Fire
1x Murano
2x Lords of Scotland

Saturday
1x The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game
1x Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
1x Eminent Domain with Eminent Domain: Escalation
3x Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game with 2x Legendary: Secret Wars – Volume 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion x 3
Among the Stars x 1
Agricola x 1
Galaxy Trucker x 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just 1 game of Bruges. Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made some progress on the 10x10 challenge this week…

Tuesday
1x - LotR:TCG - mb

Thursday
2x - Deep Sea Adventure
2x - Welcome to the Dungeon

Friday
1x - Abyss - mb

Sunday
1x - Roll Through the Ages
1x - Abyss - mb

meeple Keep playing...

BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2015 List at 63/100
15 Games BK Wants to Play in 2015 at 4/15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1x Twilight Imperium 3 - 8-hour game. I won with 7 VPs.
1x Nevermore
1x Ingenious
1x Hex Hex
1x Five Tribes
4x King of Tokyo
1x Red 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy x2 - I just bought this game after playing it at my cousin's house. It's now probably my favourite game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yein
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this week was mostly long games, so number wise it is smaller than my usual. See the geeklist side for details.

Tuesday:

Discoveries x1 (4p, Loss x1)
Kaosball: The Fantasy Sport of Total Domination x1 (4p, Loss x1)

Thursday:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault x1 (4p, Rebel loss x1)

Saturday:

Small City x1 (3p, Loss x1)
Viceroy x1 (3p, Loss x1)
Champions of Midgard x1 (2p, Win x1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very slow week, only played on wednesday and it was not good soblue

Spyfall 4 times. It is fun but not a game for me. I couldn't think of any questions and when I did, I usually gave our location up with that question...

Straw 2 times. I love this little game.

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game I thought I would like this game. I didn't. Maybe it was the people who I played with (will get to them) but it felt like Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, only even more dragging.

And then we played City of Remnants. I was so looking forward to this game. Unfortunately, we played with one new guy and he had the worst case of analysis-paralysis I have ever seen. And the worst part was, he didn't pay much attention to the game and only started to analyze his turn ON HIS TURN. It was so boring that me and my friend just played Qwixx during his turns. It was very rude but we couldn't take it anymore. After like 2 or 3 hours we were only in round 3... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kairaven wrote:

How do you like Kaosball in 4 players? My group hated it and now my BF won't try it in 2p because of the terrible 4p experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my shoes are laced with irony
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small x1
Caverna: The Cave Farmers x1
Glen More x1
The Palaces of Carrara x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wednesday

Mascarade x1
Codenames x2
Lifeboats x1

Sunday

Triumvirate x1
Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel x1
Bonnie and Clyde x2
Palazzo x1
Drachenhort x1
Pass the Pigs x1

Out of everything played I most enjoyed Codenames and Triumvirate and least enjoyed Lifeboats and Drachenhort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday the 17th
1x Viticulture

Saturday the 22nd
1x Five Tribes with the Five Tribes: Dhenim and Five Tribes: The Artisans of Naqala expansions

Sunday the 23rd
1x Five Tribes with the Five Tribes: Dhenim and Five Tribes: The Artisans of Naqala expansions
1x Myrmes
1x Coal Baron

While we enjoyed everything we played, the game my wife and I were most pleased with was Coal Baron.

We both agreed that the Five Tribes: The Artisans of Naqala expansion was a disappointment, adding too much luck and randomness with those artifact tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of Midguard X 1
New York 1901 X 1
Artifacts Inc. X 1
A friends prototype X 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 nimmt! x2
Patchwork x1
Arboretum x1
Linko! x1
Hamsterbacke x1
Coal Baron x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson W.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy x1
Sushi Go! x3
Arcadia Quest x3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Just a single play of Tokaido this week. But it was a new purchase, and my gf enjoyed it, so it's a win in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parents of one of my daughter's school friends decided to dip their little toe into our gaming obsession and came over Sat night to try out a few games. Was quite pleased with the results.

Get Lucky x1

Dixit x2 (unsurprisingly, a smash hit with the newbies, but I hadn't gotten to play in quite awhile as well. Always a blast.)

Ticket to Ride x1

XCOM x1 (First time playing. Obviously this did NOT involve the newbie fellow parents. Went very badly for humanity. Looking forward to trying it again tonight hopefully.)

Kingsburg x1

Bang! The Walking Dead
x1

Kemet x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Underground 4p
We managed to win, and it seemed like a basic scenario, but was fun and smooth for a first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not expect to play as many games this weekend as I did. No complaints! I also happened to win the majority of games.

Saturday

No Thanks! - Played twice. Quick little filler that was immediately requested again after I won the first game in a landslide. Then I also won the second game! I think people were needlessly taking low cards rather than waiting to build a sequence of good cards.

High Society - One player ended with no cards whatsoever. I won by first winning the 2x multiplier card and then grabbing a 6 and 3 for a total of 18 points. The game ended abruptly as the 3rd game-ending icon was drawn just a little after the halfway point.

Splendor - Last game of the night and I won it again! One out of 4 of the players was completely new to the game. She only scored 5 points but really enjoyed the simple mechanics. I ended the game with a fast 15 points by completely ignoring the noble cards. By the time I triggered the final round, the other 2 regular players were just a few turns away from grabbing more Nobles and exceeding 15. This was a close one!

All three of the games played this night happened to be re-themes. Check them out here: It's Full of Stars! - Horror Leader's sci-fi re-themes

Sunday

Lords of Waterdeep - My Lord was the one that allows you to pick a quest type and score 6 points for each completed one at the end of the game. I decided to aim for commerce quests and it paid off big time netting me 42 points in the final scoring. I was also able to complete the Plot Quest that grants an additional 2 points for each commerce quest complete. Still, the game was neck and neck as one of the players completed one of the big 25+ point quests. Both expansion modules were played.

Kingsburg - My favorite game and the only one I didn't win this week. All 5 expansion modules played. I started with the Fairy as my governor and decided to use the Market strategy to make summers pay out for me big time. I was doing fine until I was caught unaware of the raiding goblins and ended up losing an expensive building. The rest of the game was bouncing back for me. I rolled well enough to get help from the Queen more than 4 times!

Alas, it was not meant the be. The player with the Sculptor took a planned defeat from the final winter attack and lost his Cathedral, but NOT the victory points thanks to the tier 1 building (subterfuge?) that prevents him from losing VP from raids.

Final score for 3 players was 44, 41, 41.

Frontier Stations - A nice and light co-operative point from VPG that feels a lot like Machi Koro. My group really enjoys this one but I think we've played it too much that it's becoming too easy.

At some point we got our resources dwindled down to just 2-3 resources each. 2 of the 3 players were banking on a 6 and then like magic it was rolled! We shot back up to safety generating almost 8 resources each. From there it was a steady path to victory.

There were clear times that a specif value (9 or 10) would have caused us to lose, but that is the nature of dice games. We finished in an hour and never used a single panic button. The next time we play, we'll likely us the alternative starting stations to increase the difficulty.

Arboretum - First time play for all 3 players. What a small yet rules heavy abstract! No doubt the game is beautiful but wow did everyone struggle with the rules. You absolutely need to play a game confused and full of questions all the way through before it all makes sense. This is definitely a game that you learn from playing.

We did the scoring improperly but determined that the winner would have been the same with the proper rules. It was not me- the game ends when the draw deck is depleted and it was depleted the turn before me. If I were able to have one last turn, I would have scored another 8 points, giving me the victory! We are excited to try the game again and I'm glad it's part of my collection but as the last game of the night, we ended there discussing rules and strategy. Some of the mechanics like gaining the rights to score a path and having your own discard pile are very unique and interesting. I just wish it were easier to teach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saturday:
Hive (x4)
Machi Koro
Coup
Kingdom Builder
Red Dragon Inn

Sunday:
Pax Romana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ray
United States
Ledbetter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump: The Game x1
Alibi x1
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) x1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday

Mage Knight Board Game X 1- Well... I finally broke down and bought this one. I spent a lot of time watching videos and reading up on this to ensure I would know how to play.

Before I play with the wife, I want to make sure I have the rules down. This was a solo game, and although I had to keep referencing the manual, I think I have everything down pretty well. I will do one more solo play through before playing with the wife.

When I was done with my first game I just stood back and had a "wow" moment. This game is solid.

Wednesday

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
We got two plays of this on Wednesday, and this one is part of my 10 x 10 hardcore challenge. Once again we chose scenario 6 (Robinson Family) and once again... we lost both!

Setup:

Game 1 End:

This game we made it to round 7 (previous high was round 9). Unfortunately, numerous weather related disasters hurt our chances. With losses of food, roof levels and wood due to the rain, we knew we were doomed once we had a child to end turn 7. Of the required 9 items to build... we built 1

Game 2 End:

Well, we made it to round 9 again this time but holy crap. We could not keep our morale under control this game. Bad luck, after bad luck actions killed us. We were lucky to find a saber early in the game which allowed us to be relatively successful in our hunts and against random predators over night. We unfortunately were unable to keep our food supply in check (even with the basket built).

Notes:

This scenario is a very tough one. What really kills you is when you have "bad crops" due to the book on an event. Having produced 0 food and 0 wood on a tile in which you made camp is devastating. Easily the hardest scenario we have played.

Thursday

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set x 1- First time playing this. I went with the Mage, the wife went with the Thief. We lost as we had no idea what worked and what didn't. This game is.. ok... but.. I dunno. We gave it another shot on Sunday.

Friday

Eldritch Horror x 2- I am not sure if we were playing incorrectly or not, but we won our first game pretty easily. Unfortunately, our 2nd game... the world was destroyed. We played against whatever the elder is that blows up the world when awakened. Not pretty.

apologies for the poor image quality... I was sleepy. This is a looooong game. A ton of dice rolling

Saturday

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game x 3- Really enjoyed this game and this was another new one from us. It was really easy to learn, but difficult to win. IN fact... we lost all 3 games.

Sunday

Trajan X 3- First play for this one as well. Not sure if I like it more than Castles of Burgundy or not, but there is a TON of options in this one. Was really struggling to not only be directed to a strategy, but sticking with it. It seems pretty simple to say "I want to focus on military this game" and be able to do it. Regardless.. really enjoyed it and it plays much faster than I would have thought.

final Trajan game of day

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set x 1- Another try with this. We won the scenario this time. The wife stuck with the Thief, I went with the Fighter. Really not a whole lot of loot and once again.. Kind of meh. We'll finish the box and then decide whether to continue buying this title or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.