Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
j s
United States
washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a buddy in another state and we have been looking for a game to play together over video chat. After checking out the "watch it played" on BattleCON I was thinking I could just buy the game and mail my buddy some of the characters and play via skype. Any reason this plan wouldn't work?

I was also curious what set I should buy to start with? Would any set be more or less conducive to playing via skype?

Just a note I did notice they are launching an online version of this game at some point. However I still want to play with my buddy via skype.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game to play over Skype (or by forum, or by email). Because of the nature of the game, it's a snap to set up the camera to cover your half of the board (especially if you have the new half board play mats), and each player can simply track their marker/tokens on their half of the board.

As for the starting point, I would go: Free Print and Play (that way you both can print your own stuff, and can have mirror matches or similar style games), Fate of Indines (10 character roster, lowest price point), War Remastered (18 character roster, mid point price point), then Devastation (30 character roster, highest price point, but also includes the most variant play modes). Of course, I recommend both of you grabbing them all - it's a great game, and I'm sure you'll both love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Playing over Skype has the added benefit of you being able to lay out your opponent's hand in front of you, to have a visual reminder of their options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j s
United States
washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically because of costs to my buddy we would only have one copy of the game and we would "split" the characters.I would mail him the stuff for his guys (in reality i will just hand them to him when he comes to visit for thanks giving) . From the video i watched it looked like this would be possibles it is one of the appeals of the game to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do that, you're going to want to get copies of the reference cards so you can still play - those get given to the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If cost is an issue, then I would definitely go with the Print and Play versions. You have the free demo with 4 characters and everything they need to play, then each flight (of 6 characters) will run you $4, and allow you and your friend to print out your own copies of your favorite characters to play with.

Fate will run you $25 a copy (once it hits retail, less through online retailers), War Revised $50, and Devastation at $75 (which is a hit, but it gives you plenty of game for the price).

Now, I can understand Devastation not getting a double buy, and even War straining the limits. Fate (OK, if they're in really tight financial straights) and the Print and Play versions, however... Not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rosander
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate of Indines has the new Force Gauge and is the smallest and cheapest. It has decent starter characters, but the cast tends to be difficult to get into.

War has the easiest starting characters and is the normal recommended starting point. The characters still look really awesome It just doesn't have all of the Force Gauge stuff, though it has the most important part which is the spinner.

I recommend picking up either War or Fate and then getting the other one. Of course, Devastation is also great, but is the most expensive and now most in need of re-balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.