Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Petition for Jon Stewart to moderate presidential debate is no joke rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome idea. I might even watch

Petition for Jon Stewart to moderate presidential debate is no joke
A Change.org petition for the former "Daily Show" host to wrangle candidates at a major debate next year has gone viral, garnering almost 200,000 signers in just two days.
http://www.cnet.com/news/online-petition-for-jon-stewart-to-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks.

I'd rather a moderator who at least pretends not to be utterly biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Will he end up hitting Trump with a chair? I smell ratings.
http://www.sbnation.com/wrestling/2015/8/23/9195305/summersl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How is having a comedian moderate a presidential debate "awesome"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
No thanks.

I'd rather a moderator who at least pretends not to be utterly biased.

I'd enjoy it even more if he did the Democrat debate. There'd be more time to focus on each candidate instead of trying to make sure he gave equal time to everyone.

But I think that Stewart would be an incredible moderator. He clearly has a left leaning. Hell, he leans so far it's a miracle he doesn't fall over. But his greater passion is honesty and integrity in politics, and I think he would moderate accordingly. Things I think we'd get from a Stewart-moderated debate:

* Equal time for all. We don't get that right now. The ones who are more popular get more time, but we already know what they have to say on most things. Giving some of the more obscure candidates equal shot at the limelight would do wonders.

* Wrangling of the candidates. It would be nice to see someone who called candidates on their non-answers. Could he do it without injecting his own bias into the affair? Questionable. But I still would rather see someone point out when candidates fill their ninety seconds without answering what they were asked.

* Questions off the beaten path. I don't think he'd stray into "gotcha" territory, but there are questions out there which simply never get asked in these kinds of debates. I think he would ask them. He wouldn't do it to embarrass anyone, he'd do it just so they would finally be asked.

Would he control his snark when he gets an answer he doesn't like? I think somewhat. He is a professional, albeit one who is quick to bemoan. But I still think that the positives he'd bring to the affair would far outweigh the partisan baggage.

Now, when he does his after-debate breakdown for various interviews.... that'll be gloves off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the democratic nominations? Sure.

Even for the republican nomination, sure...

..but a moderator for the presidential debates should not have a strong political affiliation to either party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
For the democratic nominations? Sure.

Even for the republican nomination, sure...

..but a moderator for the presidential debates should not have a strong political affiliation to either party.

Good luck with that pipe dream. What is a "strong political affiliation"? He's never endorsed any political candidate since he's had his show at least. Do you mean someone with string political opinions? You think there's a person who is politically aware enough to be qualified who doesn't have strong opinions on issues already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Literally no public figure has more credibility to attack the serial press conferences we have in place of debates. What would be awesome is that choosing him to moderate would be a way of undermining the existing campaign-controlled formats and demanding the sort of debates which might actually inform voters about issues.

Unless we could get Jeff Daniels to do it in character as Will McAvoy, nobody else I'm familiar with would send that message as clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who thinks having JS as a moderator cheapens our electoral system... hasn't been paying attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe he's considered a liberal in American terms anyway but that he asks tough questions of whoever his target is, regardless of their politics. What therefore is the objection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cares what his politics are? The question is can he effectively moderate a debate. We've had plenty of "unbiased" journalists moderate debates for decades and do a piss poor job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Stewart has been very successful convincing his legions of fanboys that he's somehow a neutral party.

That doesn't speak well of his fanboys' critical thinking skills.

Can you name anyone who thinks that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had Fox News correspondents moderate the Republican debates and yet, somehow, Jon Stewart is too biased?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O'Reiley / Stewart as debate moderators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

We have achieved idiocracy.

You must be proud that all of your hard work has finally paid off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
He's smart, he's informed, he listens closely. His politics are irrelevant. We've had moderators of all political stripes.

Can he pay attention and be fair?

I think he can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
rinelk wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Literally no public figure has more credibility to attack the serial press conferences we have in place of debates. What would be awesome is that choosing him to moderate would be a way of undermining the existing campaign-controlled formats and demanding the sort of debates which might actually inform voters about issues.

Unless we could get Jeff Daniels to do it in character as Will McAvoy, nobody else I'm familiar with would send that message as clearly.

Sniff... Someone gets it

When the debates are a joke and TV journalism is an even bigger joke, the perfect moderator for such an absurd situation would be a comedian. Who has proven he can ask hard questions.

I never watched too much of Stewart's show (too much swearing, etc for my taste.) But I can easily believe the reports that his viewers were more informed than the average "real" TV news audience.

Please, please, let me see Stewart skewer Trump. Then I could die and my life would be complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tstone wrote:
He's smart, he's informed, he listens closely. His politics are irrelevant. We've had moderators of all political stripes.

I think he can.

*note to self*

If you want to build your thumb-base in RSP just suggest that a comedian, who was the host of a comedy show, on a network called Comedy Channel, would probably be excellent as a serious moderator in the national presidential elections.

And always remember - this is the guy who RSP liberals have been getting their news from for years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
tstone wrote:

I think he can.

*note to self*

If you want to build your thumb-base in RSP just suggest that a comedian, who was the host of a comedy show, on a network called Comedy Channel, would probably be excellent as a serious moderator in the national presidential elections.

And always remember - this is the guy who RSP liberals have been getting their news from for years now.

If an actor can be president, it's reasonable that a comedian could be a good debate moderator.

Hey! Lewis Black!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

*note to self*

As has been pointed out, an actor became president. He was a good one, too. Bonus is that many of the libtards here loathe him.

C'mon, brother, you should know by now I could not give a crap about thumbs from this flock of retards and reprobates (with exceptions).

Just call them as I see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

It's clear to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Please, please, let me see Stewart skewer Trump. Then I could die and my life would be complete.

If Stewart skewered Trump during the debate, that'd be wildly inappropriate. He'd be there to ask questions, not express his opinions. If he did that during the debate, it'd prove Tripp's view to be right.

Now, after the debate, when the talk show circuit asked him about what was going through his mind while hearing the answers, then he can go on about how his mouth was full of blood from biting through his tongue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tstone wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

*note to self*

As has been pointed out, an actor became president. He was a good one, too. Bonus is that many of the libtards here loathe him.

C'mon, brother, you should know by now I could not give a crap about thumbs from this flock of retards and reprobates (with exceptions).

Just call them as I see them.

Ronald Reagan and Jon Stewart aren't even from the same galaxy with regard to politics. Plus, the discussion isn't whether a comedian could make a good politician, one might. It's whether Stewart is fit to moderate a very serious political debate.

He's not. He's a partisan, lock, stock and barrel. Like most liberals in show biz he pays lip service to impartiality by every once in a blue moon making a joke at Obama's expense, or whatever other lib is in the news. but you know as well as I do that's all *wink*wink*nudge*nudge BS. the cracks at Obama or other Lib are flak, meant to distract and defray criticism so he can say "Look! Look at me! I jokey-joked about Obama! I not partisan!"

It's the erosion of dignity to consider such a thing. It's undignified. It demeans and cheapens not only any politician who would allow it, but it corrodes and weakens the gravity of the office of the president of the most powerful nation in history.

He's a liberal comedian who had a staff of 50.... 50, yes 50 writers feeding him the quips, slams, derision's and one-liners. Of course it was funny, even 50 liberal writers can write some funny shit. But to imagine that Stewart was anything other than a script reader with a talent for facial gesture timing is idiotic. He's a chump. A rich one and one who is hilarious to his target audience. But nothing in his career indicates he would do anything but embarrass the candidates and the American presidency.

It's nauseating to imagine it.

I'm not a Stewart fan, but I have seen enough clips to get why he's funny to RSp. He never reached for anything but low-hanging fruit. His audience was the massive white middle class youth, tattooed, lumberjack clad, gluten free, 150,000 dollar college debt, guilty whites who so loath themselves that they attach themselves like leeches to any "cause" that speaks against them and everything they represent.

That is Stewart's talent, tapping into the drunk college chick at the freshman mixer after he slipped her a Roofie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Tripp, it's sad to see you so envious of a successful job-creator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
He's a liberal comedian who had a staff of 50.... 50, yes 50 writers feeding him the quips, slams, derision's and one-liners.

I think it's down to 49, since Stewart went ballistic on his only black staffer.

Yeah, well, I made up the 50 writer number anyway. I have no hard numbers, nor do I care. Although, any show with that heavy a schedule is probably going to have between 10 and 15 full time writers and a bevy of alternates, hangers on, associate writers and other staffers feeding into the main crew. I always figured a show probably has as many full time writers as there are seats at the conference table.

The point, mine, is that Stewart is basically a comedy actor who portrayed the host of a tongue-in-cheek news show. he may be brilliant and well read, have a penetrating intellect and an ego so subdued that his own feelings never get in the way of truth, fairness and accuracy.

But I don't think so. He more like this guy to me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.