Thunderstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sanity Check: Ambrosia vs Strength=0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bahman Rabii
United States
California
flag msg tools
It would seem from the wording that Ambrosia protects against all forms of in-battle hero death, but there could be a convoluted argument that strength reduction to zero is "different" (e.g. you are at zero strength after the "battle" and not protected); if so, maybe an ambrosia-protected Hero is still destroyed when total Strength reaches zero.

In particular, what is the yucata.de interpretation of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
I can't speak to the yucata implementation, but the card has been clarified in Worlds Collide as:

Ambrosia wrote:
Dungeon: Add Physical Attack +1 and Strength +2 to each hero. Whenever a Battle or Aftermath effect destroys a hero, discard that hero instead.

Also, the rule to destroy heroes who reach Strength 0 has been revoked in Thunderstone Advance. So I'd play with the Advance rules (even if with classic cards).

I don't have the classic rules in front of me, but I'd guess that destroying heroes because of the Strength 0 rule would fall within the scope of battle, and therefore Ambrosia's protection. (It's trickier because of the lack of Aftermath effect, but I'd still play that card destruction takes place at the end of battle, not after it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Dragonspire rule book:
"Note: If a Hero’s Strength reaches 0 or less at any time during a battle, the Hero is destroyed at the end of the turn!"

In this case since Ambrosia protects during battle, the hero would be destroyed at the end of the turn.

If the monster's "Battle effect" stats to destroy 0 strength heroes, Ambrosia would protect the hero from being destroyed due to the "Battle effect" but would still need to be destroyed at the end of turn.

As mentioned, Thunderstone Advanced got rid of destroying "0" strength heroes as a general rule. It now only happens if a monster's battle effect says to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
imjodokast wrote:
From the Dragonspire rule book:
"Note: If a Hero’s Strength reaches 0 or less at any time during a battle, the Hero is destroyed at the end of the turn!"

In this case since Ambrosia protects during battle, the hero would be destroyed at the end of the turn.

If the monster's "Battle effect" stats to destroy 0 strength heroes, Ambrosia would protect the hero from being destroyed due to the "Battle effect" but would still need to be destroyed at the end of turn.

As mentioned, Thunderstone Advanced got rid of destroying "0" strength heroes as a general rule. It now only happens if a monster's battle effect says to.

In Classic Thunderstone, cards cannot be destroyed during the battle itself, since all destruction is delayed until after the battle has been resolved. So either Ambrosia does nothing, or its intent is to protect any hero who would be destroyed as a result of a Battle (regardless of when the destruction actually happens). I'd argue that the Strength = 0 destruction is meant to operate in the same way. I.e., a Strength = 0 hero shouldn't be allowed to use a Spoils ability, just because the rule says "at the end of the turn". So if playing by Classic rules, I'd treat Strength = 0 the same as destruction by Battle effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.