K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i posted a forum post in the Dust Tactics page with a link to an ebay store that carries 1:43 scale WW2 vehicles . it is not my store , and i posted it because the game desiner doesnt really make "mundane" WW2 vehicles , he is too busy adding in walkers and laser wielding whatevers .

i and many other players WANT more mundane vehicles to play with , so we often share links and resources like the online retailers we use .

i have seen plenty of forum posts here over the years that have ebay links or amazon links or what ever links players see as a use to get game props .

my post was pulled with the explanation that we cant post ebay links now ?

please see the email below :

BoardGameGeek wrote:
The post titled: 'holy crap , check out his new items .....' has been deleted from the forums.

Please do not post ebay links in the forums.

Thanks!

--- This message was auto-generated - do not reply ---
A Geek Forum Moderator

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
Mail sent to this account is not read.
If you are trying to reach a particular user, please write to them directly.
Boardgamegeek Admins: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Admins


i dont understand .

the game designers dont make mundane units , so most of us have to go online to find regular WW2 units to add in .

an admin deleted my post saying that i am not to post ebay links in forum posts , but its ok for gamestore web sites to post a "blog" which is nothing more than links to their own website along with inventory updates , which doesnt generate any revenue for BGG ?

how does that make any kind of sense ?

and since when are we not allowed to post ebay links in forum posts ? i looked at the forum guidelines , and the only thing that cold really relate is if I was the game DESIGNER , trying to promote MY game .
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

As much as anything else, it may be be because links to eBay sales are guaranteed to become dead links in a fairly short time.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
but this was a link to an actual ebay sellers store page displaying his 1:43 vehicles , not to an individual item that might sell out , but one page back .

i posted it because i was excited to see some of his new stock of vehicles that A LOT of us would LOVE to play with .
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Retail links in general are not allowed in game forums. There are exceptions, but most of the time if you see a retail link in a post the post is still there because a moderator hasn't been notified of it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i tried looking that up in the rules , but didnt see anything about it . where is that posted ?

and so you are saying a gamestore can make a blog of their daily inventory with links to those products that take them back to their website , and THATS ok ?

while i understand your point in some context , the problem here is that some game companies dont make filler product for their lines , so players have to hunt and hunt and hunt to find them . i took me forever to find the ebay seller i use to flesh out my armies because i have to use "collectors" vehicles .

posting links to sellers like that are a resource to my felow players who likewise cant find such vehicles from the game company or normal game stores .

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Retail links in general are not allowed in game forums. There are exceptions, but most of the time if you see a retail link in a post the post is still there because a moderator hasn't been notified of it.
Same goes for posting K*star*er links, right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Retail links in general are not allowed in game forums. There are exceptions, but most of the time if you see a retail link in a post the post is still there because a moderator hasn't been notified of it.
Same goes for posting K*star*er links, right?


good question , because when i looked at the forums rules on the help tab it didnt mention anything about links to sellers not being allowed , which would include kickstarter links , unless that one of the unwritten few exceptions to the unwritten rules on the subject .

and while we are at it , where are the rules about what can and caant be posted in a blog ? can i post an ebay link in a blog , or is that right reserved for game stores that post blogs of nothing but links to their inventory ?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KS is one of the exceptions. For many games that are being crowdfunded the campaign page is one of the only sources of information on the game.

We do not allow crowdfunding links in most other forums.


For blogs, we give the blog authors more liberty with the kinds of content they post. I haven't seen the blog that is just a store updating inventory, however. Feel free to geekmail me a link so I can take a closer look.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
its not like i have a choice but to follow it , but that policy screw the players of so many games . without being able to share the links to sellers , a LOT of gamers wont have access to A LOT items that we cant get locally .

and if thats the policy , you should post it along with what exceptions are and are not allowed !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OCTAVIAN , and any other admins that read this .

i looked at your collection and see that you have starwars imperial assault . now suppose that FFG chose NOT to make AT-ST's or probe droids or speeder bikes or land speeders or any of those other really cool items ....... EVER . instead they chose to ignore their customers asking for those "cannon" units of the wars between the empire and the rebellion ...........instead they chose to just produce new fancier units with bigger newer weapons instead . NOW suppose that the only way players could get those is looking online and scouring inventories of sites that have long since run out of them .

thats what a lot of comapnies DO , especially miniatures games . my last roommate was into a historical WW2 game about 15 or so year ago that used 28mmTRUE scale . he spent and wasted a lot of money trying to find vehicles in 1:56 scale , because at the time noone was making them . sure the few WW2 games on the market made troops , but noone made vehicles . i watched him physically crush a boxed halftrack in his hands that he had JUST gotten in the mail because it was way to big for his use and he spent $40 on it (it was a "collectors" limited edition vehicle that he bought) hoping he could use it for a game .

now i know that FFG hasnt done the speeder bikes YET , but you can bet they will because there is a demand for it once the game is big enough .

there needs to be exceptions for some retail links . i admit it sucks seeing people post JUST to list their ebay auctions , but some of thoe ebay links are by players sharing resources that the game companies wont fill . if an admin reads a post and its obviously just schilling their ebay auctions , then yes delete it , but if its a member sharing a link to cool stuff , or if they arent sure , why cant they just pm the poster and ask for an explantion ?

isnt that kinda one of the big advantages to BGG ; being able to come here and help , or get help , to find resouces , enrich the community , and make all our games the best they can be ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Retail links in general are not allowed in game forums. There are exceptions, but most of the time if you see a retail link in a post the post is still there because a moderator hasn't been notified of it.
Same goes for posting K*star*er links, right?
So if someone asks, "Where can I buy this game?" I can't give them a link to, say, CSI?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I really can't say I follow the logic of rationale behind this decision. Sure you want to clamp down on self promotion but if I want to talk about an item for sale somewhere so what?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a question of how obviously relevant the link was to the game. I understand Kris is saying that what he posted was relevant, but without having the context of the actual post it is hard to judge how obvious that was.

Someone must have thought it was not relevant. Unless a moderator happened to be reading those forums it is likely that it was reviewed because someone read the post and flagged it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
apotheos wrote:
I really can't say I follow the logic of rationale behind this decision. Sure you want to clamp down on self promotion but if I want to talk about an item for sale somewhere so what?


If it's on sale, there's a hot deals forum. If it's not, then we get a bunch of people shilling, which BGG has decided is undesirable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely when Aldie quit his job to work on BGG full time, and they set up an arrangement with eBay.

Don't even think about posting an auction that doesn't have the specific BGG marketplace boilerplate in it.

KickStarter is always "the exception" these days, (no BGG/octavian offence intended here), as 75% of new games are KS. Site would die without allowing those links...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
There is also a question of how obviously relevant the link was to the game. I understand Kris is saying that what he posted was relevant, but without having the context of the actual post it is hard to judge how obvious that was.

Someone must have thought it was not relevant. Unless a moderator happened to be reading those forums it is likely that it was reviewed because someone read the post and flagged it.


my post was simple , i think its was something like " rezz got some GREAT new vehicles in his inventory " and a link to his ebay store . i dont think anyone playing the game would have complained , or they would have pulled some of my psosts from the past that also posted links to mundane vehicles , and as i said above , these are vehicles that the players want , that the company doesnt make .

this is the link i posted : http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

i was excited because the last time i checked his store was about 2 weeks ago , and he has atleast 14 new vehicles in stock that are spread out over the 3 main factions in the game right now .

as i said above , the rules dont specify that this is not allowed , but the rules for the ebay section of the page DO specify that i cant link these THERE because it would be considered "spam" and abuse of the section since these are not specifically meant for the game , even though the compnay making the game doesnt make vehicles of its own but DOES encourage players to so so them selves .

so its a catch 22 .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Octavian wrote:
Retail links in general are not allowed in game forums.


I got really hung up on the injustice of this specific wording.

Consider this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417376/any-updates-availab...

Nothing at all untoward there. But two retail links are provided.

Now I don't think for a moment we are genuinely concerned about TimeWellSpent or Funagain spamming our forums. And the risk shoots up quite a bit when we talk about small eBay storefronts. But the wording I quoted above is so problematic.

Punish the crime, not the facts. Mens rea. All that jazz. Based on what was provided by the OP perhaps there was just not enough context to know if he was a spammer or not.

But golly gee did the quoted line above get under my skin, not match my experience of using this site, and strike me as oh-so-wrong (obviously).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.