Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Here is a direct link where you can download my template http://copilotspodcast.com/xTemplate.pdn

------------------------

Hey All,

So for a while now I've gotten geek mails and responses in threads from people who wanted a link to the custom dividers I use for Legendary. Problem is, I made them myself and didn't save the files! Well, enough people have asked that I went back and recreated these labels. I was going to submit them as a file, but I don't know how to submit them all at once, and I don't want to make each individual image its own upload in the file section. If someone who's more tech savvy than I am could help out with that, that would be great. Until then, feel free to print these jpegs off (they are meant to be exactly 8.5 by 11). At the very bottom of this post I'll also detail the steps to best apply these labels. Once again, mad props to Alex Chan for his awesome dividers that were the inspiration for these!

-------------------------------

-------------------------------

Step 1. Print! As you may have noticed, these are meant to be labels, not full sized dividers. That means, they are going to be fitted over the standard Legendary Dividers, or other similarly sized cardboard cut outs. For that reason, these don't need to be printed on card stock, regular computer paper is fine. If you want the colors to pop a bit, then you may want to print them on glossy paper, however then you run the risk of smudging the ink unless its completely dry. Personally, I just print them on regular white printer paper.

Step 2 & 3. Cut & Bend! There are grey lines around each label on the sheet that will show you where to cut. For the purposes of this demo I cut out this one divider label on its own. Remember NOT to cut off the empty white space above the label. You need to fold that over the top of the divider. There's a horizontal gray line across the middle that will show you where to bend. Folding the label in half will also create a visible crease that will help in the next step.

Step 4. Tape! Take a piece of clear packing tape and tape over the FRONT of the label, the side with the image on it. Make sure that the tape is wide enough to extend beyond all sides of the label. Also, you'll want to do this on a kitchen or bathroom counter, not a table where the tape could peel off paint. Then take the Divider and place it face down over the label so that the top of the divider lines up with the crease you created in the center of the label. Press down firmly so that the label is attached to the divider.

Step 5 & 6. Fold & Snip! Fold the white half over the top of the divider, then press down the tape on the back of the divider so that the label securely attached to the divider, then snip off the excess tape and paper on either side of the divider. Making sure that you include the white side on the back may seem unimportant, but it actually is. If you were to just tape the front and then cut the white part off, the black back of the divider would be exposed. The problem with this is that it doesn't reflect light, so your dividers would seem very dim in the box. To illustrate this point, check out the pic directly below. The "Bullseye" divider I have in this pic is just your standard Legendary Divider. Look at how dark the "Cable" divider right behind it looks when compared to the rest of the dividers that are using my customs.

And that's it! Place the divider in the box and enjoy!

• [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: M_Strauss's Custom Divider Labels now available!
Nicely Done! This makes for a easy cost effective solution for dividers without having to buy Card Stock or Label Paper or having to buy a paper cutter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fantastic! Can't wait to apply these labels to these slip-case dividers! https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417327/slip-case-dividers-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is FANTASTIC! Thanks so much! Not to take away from all the other, incredible designs folks have shared because some of those are incredible and you can tell much love and dedication went into them, but I tend to be more of a "Simple Solution" kind of guy, more function over form and these fill that bill!

One other, simple piece of praise, I don't know if I would have thought of the added brightness that the extra white section brings to the cards behind them. Again, a simple yet effective solution!

One Two questions for you: how long did it take you to print, cut, tape and trim all of them? Did you try anything else during your development such as maybe a glue stick?

***edit because math in public is hard***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:
Fantastic! Can't wait to apply these labels to these slip-case dividers! https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417327/slip-case-dividers-...

Go for it!

Thud105 wrote:
This is FANTASTIC! Thanks so much! Not to take away from all the other, incredible designs folks have shared because some of those are incredible and you can tell much love and dedication went into them, but I tend to be more of a "Simple Solution" kind of guy, more function over form and these fill that bill!

Thanks! I've seen a lot of the other customer dividers put images on the large part of the divider that is submerged under the cards, and I don't understand why you would do that since you'd never actually see it.

Thud105 wrote:
how long did it take you to print, cut, tape and trim all of them?

I'm not going to lie, if you're going to do the entirety of Marvel Legendary, it'll probably take about four to six hours. If you can set aside that kind of time, maybe even get your kids/friends involved like its a group project, then you can knock it out in a day. Or, you could just do a set a week, slowly doing all of them.

Thud105 wrote:
Did you try anything else during your development such as maybe a glue stick?

Oh my god, yes. I tried so many things, got half way through and then threw out everything and started over. It was a process, for sure... just be happy you guys get the end result for free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work. That's how I adhered my labels, too. Excellent usage of photos to illustrate the process and end result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Nice work. That's how I adhered my labels, too. Excellent usage of photos to illustrate the process and end result.

Thanks, Ed! Just trying to give back to our wonderful community here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schmidt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
These are great! Thanks for the instructions and photos. I'm excited to print these and try them out.

I did notice one issue though: there are no labels for the Masterminds from the small boxes (Galactus, Thanos, etc.) Would that be tough to fix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! I have them, I just forgot to add them to the image with the small box villains. Will update later today. Thanks for pointing that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Bean wrote:
These are great! Thanks for the instructions and photos. I'm excited to print these and try them out.

I did notice one issue though: there are no labels for the Masterminds from the small boxes (Galactus, Thanos, etc.) Would that be tough to fix?

Fixed, now with the 6 small box masterminds!

Curious to see what they look like when you print them out. Feel free to post your set once you have the labels applied!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also! I'm working on a similar set of dividers for Encounters. Originally, I was going to use a green bar to the left of each image to denote the Aliens set, similarly to how I used blue to denote heroes sets and purple to denote villains sets. However, I'm starting to think that green MAY be better for Predators. In any case, what colors do you think I should use to differentiate between Aliens and Predator? Green and Red?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:

Curious to see what they look like when you print them out. Feel free to post your set once you have the labels applied!

I just finished these and they turned out well. Thank you for posting your dividers.

M_Strauss wrote:
Also! I'm working on a similar set of dividers for Encounters. Originally, I was going to use a green bar to the left of each image to denote the Aliens set, similarly to how I used blue to denote heroes sets and purple to denote villains sets. However, I'm starting to think that green MAY be better for Predators. In any case, what colors do you think I should use to differentiate between Aliens and Predator? Green and Red?

I definitely would be interested in an aliens version. Green and red sound good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! Kind of a trip to see them in someone else's box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
That's awesome! Kind of a trip to see them in someone else's box!

They're in my boxes as well!!! You did an awesome job!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bugui Lee
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm trying to print these off at home, but the labels are much wider than the divider cards even though I'm printing them at a 1:1 scale of the original sized image.

Is there a trick to printing them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mintiness wrote:
I'm trying to print these off at home, but the labels are much wider than the divider cards even though I'm printing them at a 1:1 scale of the original sized image.

Is there a trick to printing them?

There was no trick for me. I printed it at 100% size and it was a perfect fit to the dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bugui Lee
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's so strange, when I even measure the labels in Photoshop they show up as 95mm which is much longer than 90mm of the dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could help, but I printed them using the sane files :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mintiness wrote:
That's so strange, when I even measure the labels in Photoshop they show up as 95mm which is much longer than 90mm of the dividers.

Perhaps it that program. I kept it simple because they're just JPGs and printed directly from Windows Live Photo Gallery using "Print --> Full Page --> and unchecked "Fit Picture To Frame"

It was a perfect fit. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I would really like to use this solution, because unlike some of the more complex dividers on here (which I currently use), it seems like I could make some of these dividers on my own for custom cards! So I have a few questions...

1. Could you just upload the file you used to make edit these? So I could do my own to match? That would be easiest.

2. If that's not possible.... What program did you use to make them? What is the font? And font size? And how did you do the colored boxes for the card types?

Thanks man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hmmmm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used paint.net, I'll try and upload something soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
M_Strauss wrote:
I used paint.net, I'll try and upload something soon!

I'd really appreciate that, brother!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I just uploaded the file for my divider template. It's pretty straight forward, you can create pretty much any label for any hero of any affiliation and slide the class colors around. I've actually never uploaded a file before, so I don't know how long it takes to get approved, but once it is, I'll post the link here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
M_Strauss wrote:
No problem, I just uploaded the file for my divider template. It's pretty straight forward, you can create pretty much any label for any hero of any affiliation and slide the class colors around. I've actually never uploaded a file before, so I don't know how long it takes to get approved, but once it is, I'll post the link here.

Hugs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.