Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were more interested in playing this game (Core game and Expansions) for the purpose of following the story -- rather than just "winning" the one-on-one battles, how would you go about doing that?

Specifically, how would you make use of the various expansion packs and all that? Would you integrate each consecutive expansion pack into previous deck sets? Would you try to play with two copies of each objective set in new expansions, and ditch previous expansions and core set as soon as possible?

I hope I'm not asking something that has been asked a jillion times already.

I have heard, for example, that Lord of the Rings Cardgame does a "better" job of really feeling like you're following the story than Star Wars does. So if the theme is not as well built into SW as it is in LotR, is there a way by manipulating the objective sets to get that story feeling here?

Just getting into the game.... and so far enjoying it! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, this game doesn't really follow a story at all. Instead, the cycles follow themes.

It's not anything close to The Lord of the Rings in terms of story telling.

You can tell your own stories through gameplay, but it's a bit of a different thing. The designers called this "cinnematic play experience." You see things that happen in the game that look like cool scenes from movies, but it doesn't tell a complete story.

As an example, there's the enhancement Bounty.

When this card is in play, the story behind edge battles changes a little. Now, in addition to trying to get the upper hand before the battle, the edge battle represents efforts of the Light Side to escape bounty hunters and the efforts of the Dark Side to pursue the bounty. It makes for some fun thematic moments, but it doesn't tell a complete story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to put this story line idea together in a solo game. I am just finalising version 1.6 of my solo variant. The story line game will use the solo rules with some scenario amendments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BBergquist wrote:
If you were more interested in playing this game (Core game and Expansions) for the purpose of following the story -- rather than just "winning" the one-on-one battles, how would you go about doing that?

Specifically, how would you make use of the various expansion packs and all that? Would you integrate each consecutive expansion pack into previous deck sets? Would you try to play with two copies of each objective set in new expansions, and ditch previous expansions and core set as soon as possible?

I hope I'm not asking something that has been asked a jillion times already.

I have heard, for example, that Lord of the Rings Cardgame does a "better" job of really feeling like you're following the story than Star Wars does. So if the theme is not as well built into SW as it is in LotR, is there a way by manipulating the objective sets to get that story feeling here?

Just getting into the game.... and so far enjoying it! Thanks

You're mostly barking up the wrong tree, I think. The intent of the Star Wars LCG is more competitive than narrative.

That said, you can build and play thematic decks, however, and the game often rewards thematic deck builds.

Some fun thematic decks you can play:

Battle of Hoth (snowspeeders versus AT-ATs)
Rebel capital ships versus Imperial Navy capital ships
Rebel pilots versus TIE pilots
Death Star trench run (Luke, Wedge, X-Wings, and Y-Wings versus TIEs and Death Star's superlaser)
Bounty hunters versus Han, Chewie, Lando, and Luke
Battle of Endor: Rebel fighters (A-Wings, B-Wings, etc.) versus swarms of TIEs and maybe some Imperial capital ships
Battle of Endor: Ewoks (with a little Smugglers help perhaps) versus Stormtroopers

For casual play, most any thematic deck you build is going to do fairly well against another thematic deck. Don't overthink it. Just pick the objective sets with the units that you want to play together or think back to particular scenes from the movies and build decks with the ships or characters that were present in those scenes. You can usually get pretty close, if not exactly. If you really don't want to build decks yourself, you can usually find decks to play at the following URLs:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwars/star-wars-deck-...
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwars/star-wars-deck-...

Some related threads I found by searching the forum here:

An (incomplete and somewhat arbitrary) list of "Thematic Decks"
Thematic scenarios
Hoth Theme Decks for Light and Dark Sides
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments, all. This helps much in understanding the general directions to go. I will definitely add expansions and just enjoy the new objective sets that come along. I'm not planning to play competitively, but I'm sure I will enjoy the evolving play of the game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Budgernaut wrote:
As an example, there's the enhancement Bounty.

When this card is in play, the story behind edge battles changes a little. Now, in addition to trying to get the upper hand before the battle, the edge battle represents efforts of the Light Side to escape bounty hunters and the efforts of the Dark Side to pursue the bounty. It makes for some fun thematic moments, but it doesn't tell a complete story.

Would you just look at the GORGEOUS ART on that card? Man, awesome! Just one of the other things that make this game so awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.