Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello!

Well, I most definitely think now that Dixit Jinx exists to make regular Dixit looks better.

I enjoy Dixit every once in a while. It works well and is fun. I just got some fatigue with it after playing too much when it started showing around here. Luckly, my group thinks the same, so Dixit hits the table only when we are together in big crowds, including lots of people that don't play boards often. It is always a good time, and remind us why to keep Dixit in the collection.

Then I got to know Dixit Jinx. Awful game. Simply put, the game works like this: 9 cards are put in a grid of 3 x 3. Then, the player whose turn is up, takes one of card of a 9 card deck that shows which card, of the 9 in the grid, she must give a clue about. The other players try to guess the card by putting a finger in the card they think is the correct one as fast as possible, as the first person to put the finger in the correct card, takes the card (every card is worth 1 point). If two or more players put the finger around the same moment, the first to say "Jinx" takes the card. Now, for the clue giver, she gets points for every card touched that wasn't the correct one, before the correct one is touched. So, say I gave a clue, and as this is a race, two players touch different and wrong cards, then play continues, and the third player gets right. This player takes the card (gaining 1 point) and the clue giver takes 2 cards (for 2 points) wrongly taken as the correct one.

The game ends when there isn't enough cards in the deck to fill the 3x3 grid. Then, players count the cards they have, the player with the most cards, is the winner.

This description might make Dixit Jinx seems like regular Dixit, only with more restrains and the racing/speed element added to it. But no. The cards in Dixit Jinx are lame in comparison - abstracts and with few elements to work. Then the clue givers have two options: give a clue too obvious (bad) or give a clue with very little to do with the actual card. This may appear to be also bad, but it works darn well, specially when playing with 6. As with 6 players, even a random clue (having absolutely nothing to do with the actual card) still give the player a bigger than 50% chance (5 players guessing between 9 cards) that someone will put the finger in the right card.

Yes, there might be times when no one will get it right, but the risk is worth it. In regular Dixit, the clue giver doesn't want to be obvious, as he wants as few players as possible to get it right. In Dixit Jinx the clue giver wants as much people as possible guessing wrong. This is a really important difference, as this shifts the spirit of the game from clever clues to semi-random ones. Add the speed element, and even with bad clues, no one will be thinking too hard about meanings, and will only want to put a finger as fast as possible in some card, considering 1/9th chance to be a good one.

Also, points for getting it right play a way too small fraction overall. In Dixit, if you get it right, you gain 3 points, the same amount as the clue giver. In Dixit Jinx, the correct player gains 1, and the clue giver can gain 2, 3 or 4. And remember - bad clues have a higher chance to give more points.

Anyway, I already talked too much about a shitty game. My warning is: if you love Dixit, don't go on thinking you might like Dixit Jinx, as it promises to be more portable and a faster option. These things it indeed is. But Dixit Jinx also twists and breaks into little pieces the fun parts of Dixit - the smarts clues and innuendos, and the feeling of satisfaction when someone just gets in tune with the clue. Dixit Jinx is a luck fest of random guesses in which bad clues are the best option.

Will definitely avoid Dixit Jinx.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Anderson
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I was considering buying it until now. Dixit is a hit with my gaming group. So I was fooled by the game's name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Whitelegg
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Fair enough review. To be honest I've had the same problem with the main Dixit, especially with a few players. If you give a random clue that's nothing to do with your card someone will probably still pick it and you'll score well.
This was proved by my mother-in-law who admitted she had no idea what she was doing, and was giving bizarre random clues about things only she had seen on a holiday once. She won the game by a mile because one person would always randomly get the clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.