Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay! We've checked (and double-checked) the PDFs, chatted with the Post Office and received confirmation from the printers that all the files are uploaded and production is sorted for Spiel 2015! After the month I've had, that's quite a weight off my mind...so now it's time to add a new weight:

In Snowdonia: The Trans-Australian Railway expansion, 1-4 players help to complete one of the iconic transcontinental railways. Matching the route completed in 1937, players build from Sydney (my home town - Matt D) on the East to Perth in the West, requiring changes of rail gauge (sort of). The Trans-Australian Railway includes the longest dead-straight stretch of track in the world at 478km. Players have to make use of a new resource: water, which is scarce in this desert country, as well as coping with wild weather and the possibility of drought and flash-flooding. This advanced scenario, for 1-4 players, adds more variety to the weather, as well as introducing water as a valuable resource in the harsh climate of Australia.

With a little bit of space left in the 33-card deck template, the pack also includes a reprint of Snowdonia: The Daffodil Line for those of you unable to grab it back in 2013!

Essen Pre-Orders & Pick up
The price per copy is €6 (six euros) and can be collected up to 12PM on the Sunday (October 11th); after then all unclaimed copies will be put on general sale. Please send your required number of copies and contact information - name and email address - with a Subject of "Oz for Essen" to preorders@surprisedstaregames.co.uk

U.S Pre-Orders
We're continuing our long-standing working relationship with splendid peeps at Funagain and they will be handling the U.S pre-orders for this expansion. So, if you're in the U.S then please go here to reserve your copy: https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=034078

All Other Pre-Orders (payment in advance please)
For the UK
The price per copy is £5.50 (five British pounds and fifty pence) incl. postage & packing.

For Europe
The price per copy is €10.50 (ten euros and fifty cents) incl. postage and packing.

For the rest of the world (NOT including the U.S, remember!)
The price per copy is £8.25 (eight British pounds and twenty-five pence) incl. postage & packing.

Important Note: If you want extra copies in the same consignment then contact us at feedback@surprisedstaregames.co.uk, before paying, so we can optimize your postage charge!

Paying
For all non-Essen preorders, you will need to pay in advance (we're using a separate fulfillment team this year thus freeing up space in my dining room!). Payments should be through Paypal - in the appropriate currency - using the following address:

payments@surprisedstaregames.co.uk

Please ensure your postal address information is up-to-date!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Payment sent!!!

Now how do I get 31 of 30?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Dare To Roll - www.whodaresrolls.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. That'll be a nice treat when it pops through the letter box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain shipping is $.26 more then the actual product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkmccarty wrote:

Really? Pass....that's ridiculous. Just make the price to ship what it actually is and charge more for the cards if you have to. Really don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preordered!

I really would have loved to add something else to my order to lessen the pain of the shipping costs, but Funagain's 30-day preorder policy sucks a**. Oh well, it's Funagain's loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Money sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just payed! Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkmccarty wrote:

...and today it's not even available to preorder shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Steinfort
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold out I guess? Only option is for notification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Lanza
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
black and yellow, black and yellow
badge
Staring right back at you.
mbmbmbmbmb
jlmcmillan1 wrote:
...and today it's not even available to preorder shake

Yeah, I clicked on the Funagain link as soon as I got the email announcing the expansion and it was already gone.

Bah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have emailed Nick to find out what's happening...they have reserved a LOT of copies from us, so I'd be VERY impressed if they sold out in less than 24 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's back up again...someone flipped the wrong switch under the hood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just waiting by the letterbox now.

Maybe I should get a sleeping bag together with some tinned food...?

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel I ought to point out (on all those threads) that production is sorted for Spiel 2015 ie. as with the Necrop last year, we won't see any copies until early Oct and won't ship 'em out until AFTER the Spiel! Apols if this wasn't clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia has grown quite popular at my game table. It's too bad there is no way I am paying $9 to ship an $8 pack of cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Dare To Roll - www.whodaresrolls.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
Snowdonia has grown quite popular at my game table. It's too bad there is no way I am paying $9 to ship an $8 pack of cards...

I feel your pain its unfortunately a situation usually faced by us Brits this side of the pond via Kickstarter etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Steinfort
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:

Reminds me of the $6 I just paid for a single hex for Game Salute's Keyflower KickStarter.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UGH, son of a ..... was looking at other things to order I guess Food Chain Magnate would help with the pain, but I just did a big order. No way am I paying more for the item, got last years mini expansion for like $12 after shipping!!! and $5 more for some mini coffins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteinfo wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:

Reminds me of the $6 I just paid for a single hex for Game Salute's Keyflower KickStarter.shake

Now imagine if they charged you $6 for the tile, plus an extra $7 to ship it to you, even though it could fit in a first class envelope and most likely ship for under $2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
jsteinfo wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:

Now imagine if they charged you $6 for the tile, plus an extra $7 to ship it to you, even though it could fit in a first class envelope and most likely ship for under $2

Shipping individually from the UK to USA will be $5 plus $1-2 for a suitable envelope for international post with something inside you don't want damaged plus somebody has to stuff them all in envelopes and queue up to post them. Then there will be losses on international shipment which will have to be covered unless you pay another $5 for tracking.

Shipping via a distributor involves shipping a package of expansions with associated import costs, then somebody is paid to receive, unpack, repackage, label and send the package. Then local delivery costs must be paid. All of this costs unfortunately.

It's not the distributor you need to be angry with, it's the frustration of international logistics.

We do often pay double the cost of a small game for international postage from USA to UK. When you see a $10 kickstarter delivered free to USA with +$5 postage to Europe (very typical) remember the $10 already has $2.50 local postage factored in, hence we pay $7.50 postage on a $7.50 game.

Chaos Publishing did an excellent podcast explaining international postage costs on board games. We'll worth a listen.

http://www.chaospublishing.com/2015/06/11/ep-3-pitching-to-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morti wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:
jsteinfo wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:

Shipping individually from the UK to USA will be $5 plus $1-2 for a suitable envelope for international post with something inside you don't want damaged plus somebody has to stuff them all in envelopes and queue up to post them. Then there will be losses on international shipment which will have to be covered unless you pay another $5 for tracking.

Shipping via a distributor involves shipping a package of expansions with associated import costs, then somebody is paid to receive, unpack, repackage, label and send the package. Then local delivery costs must be paid. All of this costs unfortunately.

It's not the distributor you need to be angry with, it's the frustration of international logistics.

We do often pay double the cost of a small game for international postage from USA to UK. When you see a $10 kickstarter delivered free to USA with +$5 postage to Europe (very typical) remember the $10 already has $2.50 local postage factored in, hence we pay $7.50 postage on a $7.50 game.

Chaos Publishing did an excellent podcast explaining international postage costs on board games. We'll worth a listen.

http://www.chaospublishing.com/2015/06/11/ep-3-pitching-to-t...

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, but it sounds like you are saying there is no cost saved by Funagain importing a large packaged filled with many copies of this mini-expansion, then selling each mini-expansion individually. You seem to be saying that we are being charged a higher price for this item because someone at Funagain has to open that package, repackage and label all of the individual expansion orders, and send them out.

So, I have to ask, why isn't this cost reflected in their everyday online costs, since they have to order large boxes of games from their distributors, like ACD, pay someone to open that package, repackage each game, and ship those to each individual buyer. This process happens every single day, not just for these special import orders.

I am well aware of the high costs of shipping internationally, however, this is a problem with Funagain's shipping methods for their entire online store. The cheapest shipping option they offer for any product is UPS Ground, which will always be two to four times more expensive than USPS first class on such small items.

Now, if you are telling me that they are charging high prices for UPS Ground shipping because they are trying to recoup losses from importing one giant package filled with mini-expansions, then I would say that is a very poor way of handling the situation. If that is the case they should just charge the full price for the item itself and not try to hide it behind their everyday poor shipping prices. If even 50 people order this expansion, paying $8 shipping a piece over the $2 it would cost to ship first class instead, Funagain will have charged a total of $400 for shipping alone. I guarantee it doesn't cost $400 to get a box of mini expansions through international customs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course there are some economies of scale I'm just trying to point out they aren't as big as everyone assumes.

As to how Funagain ship, well I assume they have their reasons which could be many fold.

Also as you point out the economy of scale is very small in this case (50 items) but if you are importing container loads of pallets I'm sure their model works more effectively.

Tony's covered this in his blog today so I'll drop out of the conversation here as he has all the facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morti wrote:
Of course there are some economies of scale I'm just trying to point out they aren't as big as everyone assumes.

As to how Funagain ship, well I assume they have their reasons which could be many fold.

Also as you point out the economy of scale is very small in this case (50 items) but if you are importing container loads of pallets I'm sure their model works more effectively.

Tony's covered this in his blog today so I'll drop out of the conversation here as he has all the facts.

Yes, importing loads of pallets would be -even more- effective. So either way, charging such an inflated price based in import costs makes very little sense. Luckily, I don't think that theory holds up at all. It is much more likely that Funagain simply needs more effective shipping methods. I know I'd place more orders with them if they offered better services. As it stands, I guess I'll keep shopping with the numerous OLGS that offer those deals, such as CSI, Miniature Market, Cardhaus, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joker9991 wrote:
UGH, son of a ..... was looking at other things to order I guess Food Chain Magnate would help with the pain, but I just did a big order. No way am I paying more for the item, got last years mini expansion for like $12 after shipping!!! and $5 more for some mini coffins.

I just checked my order for the same from last year, but it was 17 euro not dollar. So that would definitely be more than $20 after conversion so even though shipping is pricy I'm still paying less than last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.