Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Blood puppet questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david hans
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So I know I can play blood puppet on my opponents field but his effect reads: "at the end of each round, place a wound token on your phoenixborn."

So does a round end once we both decide to pass turns consecutively? If so then I don't see how this card can last long enough to do its effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Snyder
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it more like it's effect is the cherry on top. The point of blood puppets are to take up room on your opponents battlefield, cause them to spend actions to try and get rid of said puppets taking up space and if at the end of the round they are still standing after being so useful, they give your opponent a swift kick to the face - even if they don't make it to the end of the round, they have done their job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like Blood Puppet because of the decisions it forces on the opponent:

- They can burn two resources and a side action to kill it, but while it remains in play their opponent has a strong disincentive to attack their Phoenixborn

- Or they can leave it in play, retaining the disincentive for attacking their Phoenixborn, at the cost of a life per turn

It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't, though, because if they leave it alive, the number of Blood Puppets will likely balloon, whereas if they kill them every turn they're at a -1 resource disadvantage compared to their opponent (and it's even worse, if they're using a side action-heavy deck).

The one downside to Blood Puppets is that if you include them in your deck you really have to build the deck around them, because having standard units who want to attack sitting there doing nothing really stinks if your opponent opts to ignore the Puppets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the value in the blood puppet is in efficiency, not clogging an opponents battlefield.

I have yet to play a game where clogging a battlefield with these worked (even against maeoni)

but, you spend 1 main action and 1 class die, and they have to spend 2 side actions and 2 basic dice to remove. or they can keep it around take 1 damage and make the same choice next turn.

if you are throwing out 3 blood puppets they lose 6 dice if they remove them all, it can get quite constraining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also don't forget, while it's not her unique unit, those Blood Puppets really have Jessa's own ability in mind as well. Since her ability triggers "whenever a unit under an opponent's control leaves play", it doesn't matter if your opponent burns resources to use Blood Puppet's ability to remove it, or if you kill it by attacking and being blocked/countered by it, or if some other random effect removes it. For the cost of a measly basic die, you can deal 1 damage directly to your opponent's PB each time. No side/main action cost, and it doesn't exhaust Jessa, so unless something else exhausts her you can keep using that ability as often as you have dice to spend on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vallone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still kind of confused whether blood puppets damage goes off after each player acts or after both players have acted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVall wrote:
Still kind of confused whether blood puppets damage goes off after each player acts or after both players have acted?

at the end of the round, after both players have passed in succession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vallone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
JVall wrote:

Thank you for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Blumenthal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
JVall wrote:

At the end of the round, after the final step of the Recovery Phase (Pass the First Player Token). Not when two players pass. Note that this could matter if Blood Puppet would interact with another effect, because the order timing of two "end of round" effects is chosen by the holder of the First Player Token, which changes hands right before the end of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AJzer wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
JVall wrote:

At the end of the round, after the final step of the Recovery Phase (Pass the First Player Token). Not when two players pass. Note that this could matter if Blood Puppet would interact with another effect, because the order timing of two "end of round" effects is chosen by the holder of the First Player Token, which changes hands right before the end of the round.

this is true however I don't believe I have had another end of round effect come up at the same time so I didn't mention it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris tian
msg tools
were are both at one health... me, my opponent...
we pass...
we have both one blood puppet on our side... who win at the end of the round ?

the blood puppet trigger's exacly when the fist player token, IS, IN MOTION !! /$%?&*?&*()$%?&*()!"!!!!!!

p.13 (rule book)
card effect and timing .. ''the player whos turn it is decides in witch order they will resolve. if it isnt any player's turn the player with the first player token decides ...

plz...

help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrissssssssss wrote:
were are both at one health... me, my opponent...
we pass...
we have both one blood puppet on our side... who win at the end of the round ?

This is my read on the timing: whoever has the first player token wins (because they determine the order of simultaneous effects), so in this case it would be the person who wasn't first player for the round but just received the token since the last thing you do during a round is pass the token, and Blood Puppet's damage takes place at the end of the round (so once everything for that round is complete; which includes the token pass).

I don't know if that's been officially ruled on anywhere, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Pertici
Italy
Certaldo
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You pass the tokend during the recovery phase, and it's the last thing you do before the end of the round. Since the BP triggers at the end of the round it happens after the token has been passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.