Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only gotten a chance to play the intro scenario with my group, so we didn't quite start the campaign yet. However, I couldn't help but notice that the bulk of the events in the Travel deck seem to bring misfortune on the heroes. Some of them seem downright annoying.

Are these cards necessary to a well balanced campaign?

They seem like they would annoy the players more than anything, particularly since it looks like a few quest paths require them to draw quite a few of these (I counted six spaces between the city and one example.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as randomising the initial conditions for a quest. There are also quite some bad ones for the overlord. Didnt do the math, but I always thought that the good/bad events was about the same.

That said, if you do not like the travel cards, they can be safely taken out of the game without any changes to game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I kinda see them as an opportunity to do funny voices and tell a little bit of random story.

I find introducing RPGish elements gets the players less focused on the 'competitive' aspects of the game, and leads to less frustration if the balance swings one way or the other.

This also helps get away from the '4 players are mad cause they lost vs One player is happy' issue. If you can let them see a failed quest as part of their 'story', everyone enjoys the game win or lose... I think the travel cards help you do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter has done an analysis of the cards, and while they are MOSTLY 50/50, overall the cards tend to favor the OL a bit. Yes, they bring misfortune, that's the point. The heroes sometimes run onto trouble on the road, and sometimes get lucky.

In the immortal words of Q, "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.