Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the new 2014 Ravenberger edition, and it allows you to move up to 2 actions per turn, where the older versions of this game allow you to move up to 3.

How often do people use all 3 actions on a turn? It seems like only being able to play up to 2 instead of three might be limiting a giant combo turn? However it does suggest you play with 4 instead of 5 pirates, so maybe that balances it?

In the advanced rules it never mentions the Jamaica version, but does say you use all 5 pirates and all 6 tiles of the jungle.

I am wondering if less pirates and less possible moves makes it feel the same, yet a little less thinky?

Has anyone played both ways that could comment? I hope to play later tonight maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
How often do people use all 3 actions on a turn?

I have played this game for several years, often teaching to adults who have never been gamers. It is rare not to use all 3.

Exceptions:
** as first player I don't like to waste cards on my opening move to give following players easy pawns to skip over.

** I hesitate to make my 3rd move one that reduces a cluster of 3 pawns down to 2 pawns if it sets up other players for an easy fall-back location to collect 2 cards. I consider the value of blocking if I stay put.

dkingnu wrote:
I am wondering if less pirates and less possible moves makes it feel the same, yet a little less thinky?

This game encourages some special calculations that are easily observed and discovered by new players. I have never been tempted to call it "thinky".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised that they changed the rule. It has been working perfectly well with three moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played a couple thousand games online and it always seemed to me like three was the perfect number. You can put together some nice combos, but the game-winning, too powerful combos are just out of reach.

I'd play with two or four moves to try it out once, but three seems perfect to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok in the "advanced rules" of the new version, it does say to add 1 more pirate (all 5) and you can now make up to 3 moves, and use all 6 boards.

I played the normal version with my wife last night and she really liked it! I did too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, there is nothing stopping you from changing the numbers of pirates and tiles. You can adjust for a shorter game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Usually when publisher reprints something and change the rules a bit, it's not done without a lot of thought. I've also heard from other forum threads here that if anything the new rules for Cartagena tightened the game up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, I just picked up the game due to a really low price and your recommendation.

Now that it's been a few months, can you comment on your feelings regarding the different ways to play the game?

I'm completely new to the game and am finding myself confused regarding the different rules that people are discussing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the rules as indicated in the new version works great. The advanced variant you'll probably play after you've played once. Since the normal way is a little shorter I usually play that if anyone at the table is new at the game. Then go to the extra pirate and move.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.