Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few two player variants pop up already, does that mean there is something wrong with the rules as written? Is this game not good with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't seen the variants yet. I've played it with 2 once and I liked it. Competitive till the end and my partner beat me on the tie break (money -- she had one more leftover coin then me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two-player game is...playable.

More players definitely increases the fun.

The big problem with a two-player game is that the basic idea is you're buying your tiles off other players. The more players in the game, the more (and likely better) tiles available to you. You'll probably build bigger and more focused toward the objectives. That's why most of the variants are simulating a ghost player or allowing for some extra tiles up for bidding.

I've played two players twice. Four players twice. I've definitely enjoyed the four-player game considerably more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are starting to prefer heavier games though we do like lighter games from time to time if the decisions are interesting enough. How light is this game, can you compare it to something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavier than Carcassonne
Lighter than Keyflower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raujour wrote:
Heavier than Carcassonne
Lighter than Keyflower

I've never played Carcassone, but love Keyflower. How would it rank compared to say Suburbia or Madking ludwig?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lighter than Suburbia. My 6 year old can play IoS and win.

Back on topic. The more tiles in the game the better. More bonus scoring tiles show up which makes more tiles worth something to more people. Two is playable but just not as interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't included in the Game Weight List but you can find other 2.2 - 2.4'ish weights to compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
My 6 year old can play IoS and win.

Really? A good valuation (=pricing) of tiles is not an easy task!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what makes this game less good with two than say Carcassonne, Suburbia, Castles of Madking or Keyflower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
So what makes this game less good with two than say Carcassonne, Suburbia, Castles of Madking or Keyflower?

I think what, arguably, makes it less good is less choice. I've heard the same issue with Keyflower. Fewer players means less tiles to choose and less competition for them. With more players, price setting is also more difficult since you have to account for more differences in player order and more different valuations of the tiles.

I get all that and I'll even go so far as to say I'd prefer Isle with more than with 2. However, to me, Isle is very similar to Kingdom Builder. In both, you need to read the initial scoring tiles and create a strategy. Then, you need to adjust that strategy based on what tiles actually are available. That's why I want to play it. The pricing question is where the tension comes from. In Kingdom Builder, the tension is figuring out where to place your houses. In Isle, it's what do I price these tiles at so that I get what I need (either from myself or from someone else).

As far as weight, I'm not sure I can help. I'd put the weight around Kingdom Builder weight. It's fairly easy to teach (5 - 10 minutes for non-gamers, 3 - 5 for games); it plays differently each game as the scoring tiles change (there are 16(?) and only 4 are in a given game); it's heavy-filler length with very little downtime (unlike KB with the wrong people). Everything is simultaneous but the selection of which tile to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
RiffRaff14 wrote:
My 6 year old can play IoS and win.

Really? A good valuation (=pricing) tiles is not an easy task!

Depends on who you're playing with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
She is unintentionally good at this. She prices her stuff a little on the low side, but this means she always has money to buy the tiles she needs the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 10 and picked it up without any issues at all. As long as the scoring is made clear for each round for the first few learning games, she has had no difficulty at all, and takes great delight in stitching her Daddy up and axing tiles she knows he wants!

Works just fine in our household for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth we got this a long time ago and really like it with two. We use the no ax variant

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1418642/2-player-varian...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
For what it's worth we got this a long time ago and really like it with two. We use the no ax variant

If you already had it, why didn't you just play it and find out if you liked it or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

If you already had it, why didn't you just play it and find out if you liked it or not?

I obviously didn't at the time silly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I obviously didn't at the time silly

Whoops. Guess I should have noted the year. I shall facepalm and crawl back in my hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.