Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Homesteaders» Forums » General

Subject: Homesteaders Expansion...it's about damn time... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
...that us fans of the game realize that there's not going to be an expansion anytime soon. I got my first edition of the game six years ago when it was released. Then I got a second edition copy of the game because, well I love the game, and wanted to support TMG. I honestly felt like they would push for an expansion for this amazing game being as they were investing so much effort into the second edition.

I was wrong.

Over the years I've contacted Alex about doing an expansion and he always assures me he's going to work on it. I get it man, life gets in the way. Not upset about it...just want an expansion for the game I love, that's all.

What I'm driving at here friends is this. We must stop waiting on Alex and TMG to take care of this and...

We need to make our own FAN EXPANSION for Homesteaders.

Who's with me?

Ok, ok, ok let's not get too carried away. I've thought about different expansion ideas, and have some things I'd like to see or at least try. No, I've never put them together and playtested them, because they are just bits and pieces. I'd like to a small handful of people (too many chefs spoil the soup kind of thing) here on the Geek who are die hard fans of the game join me and work together to develop a real expansion that is functional and easy for fans to produce. Ideal candidates will have experience in PnP production as well as be a (let me say it again) die hard fan of this game.

Anyone interested please just comment here and I'll get back with you.

Thanks for reading.

neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
...that us fans of the game realize that there's not going to be an expansion anytime soon. I got my first edition of the game six years ago when it was released. Then I got a second edition copy of the game because, well I love the game, and wanted to support TMG. I honestly felt like they would push for an expansion for this amazing game being as they were investing so much effort into the second edition.

I was wrong.

Over the years I've contacted Alex about doing an expansion and he always assures me he's going to work on it. I get it man, life gets in the way. Not upset about it...just want an expansion for the game I love, that's all.

What I'm driving at here friends is this. We must stop waiting on Alex and TMG to take care of this and...

We need to make our own FAN EXPANSION for Homesteaders.

Who's with me?

Ok, ok, ok let's not get too carried away. I've thought about different expansion ideas, and have some things I'd like to see or at least try. No, I've never put them together and playtested them, because they are just bits and pieces. I'd like to a small handful of people (too many chefs spoil the soup kind of thing) here on the Geek who are die hard fans of the game join me and work together to develop a real expansion that is functional and easy for fans to produce. Ideal candidates will have experience in PnP production as well as be a (let me say it again) die hard fan of this game.

Anyone interested please just comment here and I'll get back with you.

Thanks for reading.

neil

I would LOVE to see a fan-made expansion to Homesteaders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game and I love printing things out. Sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ray Johnson

Houston
Texas
msg tools
OH NO! A BEAR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have as much free time as I'd like these days, but I'm definitely in the camp of wanting more of this game. I could help out a bit.

I think the big thing is that I really don't want to add new mechanics. I generally like the playtime and balance of where the game sits now. I'd mostly want to work on new buildings so that it's not the same board setup each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Miners & Drillers expansion.

Add in tiles for deeds to mines and oil plots.
Roll to find out how much is there.
Add building tiles that give equipment to increase the base of the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept of oil as a resource - another high-end resource like cattle/gold is probably easiest to slot in the current design. I'm not fond of the idea of adding dice into the game, since randomness is extremely limited at the moment. Perhaps some sort of drilling track as an alternative to the train track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
I like the concept of oil as a resource - another high-end resource like cattle/gold is probably easiest to slot in the current design. I'm not fond of the idea of adding dice into the game, since randomness is extremely limited at the moment. Perhaps some sort of drilling track as an alternative to the train track?

Digging for oil is interesting. I'm not a history buff, so I don't know if it makes sense with the theme or not, but that can probably be explained away if need be

Maybe oil should be not-just-another-resource-worth-points, maybe it should be somehow different. Like maybe a majority scoring type of thing?

That might be even more interesting if you could spend oil (like how you can spend gold) somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ray Johnson

Houston
Texas
msg tools
OH NO! A BEAR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theory that I've had in mind is that you have three sets of setup cards. Three region cards [Southwest, Midwest, Rockies], three access cards [River, Ocean, Trail], and three distance cards [Homestead, Frontier, Remote].

At the start of the game, you draw one card from each set, and these cards determine which buildings are available in the game.

* If you draw Southwest, River, and Homestead, then you set up the game with the base setup.
* If you draw the Midwest location, then you add buildings that provide food and cows, but you remove buildings that provide copper and gold. The Rockies location does the opposite.
* If you draw the Ocean access, then you add cards that provide money and workers, but you remove buildings that provide steel and advance the railroad. The Trail access does the opposite.
* If you draw the Frontier distance, then you add buildings that provide trade tokens and cancel debt, but you remove buildings that make victory points each turn. The Remote distance does the opposite.

So if you drew a Remote Southwest Ocean setup, then maybe you would change the game as:
* Ocean removes one each of Foundry (S), Steel Mill (S), Railworkers House (S/T), Forge (T), Depot (T), Rail Yard (C)
* Remote removes one each of Market (S), Trading Post (S/T), General Store (S/T), Bank (T), Fairgrounds (T), Restaurant (C)
* Both cards would then add equal number of new buildings to the game

I don't know how I feel about oil exactly. I think the oil rush might be a bit later than the game's setting. Though I like the idea of adding one new resource that plays a little differently. Maybe coal, to go with the railroads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Horses:
Used liked workers. Extra spots on buildings where players can place horses with workers to give bonuses.

Tavern:
Each oil or mine worker in OTHER player camps gives tavern +1 coin/ +1VP.

Dr. Office:
Each non-VP worker, in ALL players camps (basically, those doing field work) gives +0.5VP rounded down.

Historical oil inspiration:
http://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entrynam...

Oil majority:
Oil wells produce coin per pipeline tile (like railroad), but no VP until the very end: whichever player builds the most pipeline gets +15VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Sorry I've not been around, I've worked a lot of doubles this week, and been very busy.

My thoughts on this were to find who was interested in working on this and then moving it to a forum outside of BGG. The reason is things get lost in threads like this as the thread builds but if we use a forum we can create specific boards, and within the board keep certain ideas linked. I feel it would overall be a better way to handle working on the expansion idea(s) we come up with.

That being said you can find out Homesteaders forum on ProBoards at:

http://homesteaders.proboards.com/

You must create a profile as I'm not going to let just any old ProBoards user join. So yes that does mean I'll have to be approving members but keeping the forum small will help us out there too.

I'm currently working on creating some boards for us to post into, and also customizing the colors to make it feel a bit more western themed than just their default blue color scheme.

Thank you guys so much for working with me on this. Once we get enough ideas down we'll discuss mocking up the bits and parts and playtesting the crap outta this stuff.

neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ok the forum is in good working order now. I've created several boards, and will begin to post some of my ideas to them as well. There has not been much discussion put forth here in this thread so while it's a slight inconvenience, please move your ideas over to the appropriate place on the forums, trust me it will keep ideas and thoughts much more cleaning and neatly in line.

Thank you,
neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Got a couple of people registered on the forum site. Thanks guys. Now the rest of you need to sign up and let's get the conversations going about the expansion. I've put up several threads with a portion of my ideas already, so it's underway.

Thank you,

neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ray Johnson

Houston
Texas
msg tools
OH NO! A BEAR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear that this is a project that I would be interested in, if I wasn't working more than 50 hours a week and sleeping on the road and working on another editing project and making time for friends on the side. I hope you manage to get some ideas together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
dreamshade wrote:
I swear that this is a project that I would be interested in, if I wasn't working more than 50 hours a week and sleeping on the road and working on another editing project and making time for friends on the side. I hope you manage to get some ideas together.

Ahhh you and this thing you call a "Life". it's getting in the way of a Homesteaders expansion.

Thanks though I am pretty excited about actually putting my ideas down and thinking about getting them implemented. I was hoping for more participation but that's how it goes. I'll keep pressing onward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game back to the table over the weekend and I have some thoughts. I'll get on proboards this week and get it all typed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ray Johnson

Houston
Texas
msg tools
OH NO! A BEAR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How dare you refer to a truck driver's life as a life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:

Oil majority:
Oil wells produce coin per pipeline tile (like railroad), but no VP until the very end: whichever player builds the most pipeline gets +15VP.

Can't say I'm a fan of the majority idea. This is a rare case that the game features an auction element but it still works very well with 2 players.

Majority scoring can often be too swingy/powerful when only playing with 2.

Just my 2cents - still hoping for an expansion of some type
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like there is officially going to be an expansion late the year or early 2018: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/148080/item/2337406#item2...

Quote:
Many people have been waiting with anticipation for an expansion or reprint of this game. The good news is, we're almost there! Homesteaders will see a reprint AND an expansion (Homesteaders: New Beginnings) either late this year or early 2018!

The expansion is not by the same designer, it's by one of the key playtesters of the game, and it adds a 5th player, a couple new buildings, and a variable setup... the 3 main things players have expressed an interest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ray Johnson

Houston
Texas
msg tools
OH NO! A BEAR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IT LIVES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.