Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: ENT-TOS Era Pure "Battle Box." Should I include TMP Ships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I really like playing ST:AW and collecting the ships, but there are some aspects of the game that frustrate me. These frustrations basically amount to balance issues and a lack of incentive to build fleets that are true to the lore. After reading around the forums here, it seems like I'm not the only one with these frustrations.

After some thinking about how to solve this problem, I decided I wanted to make a "Battle Box" of expansions that I could set aside and use for casual games (similar to a cube in MtG). Both players would build fleets from the same battle box, which would include ships from expansions with a thematic link. Also, since I am picking which expansions are included, I have full control over the balance and degree of customization. This could also give my weaker ships a home where I might actually pick them instead of passing them up for a Reman Warbird or the Enterprise-E.

My first Battle Box will be all the ENT-TOS expansions. This would mean there are six factions with the following expansions. The cards would be divided into binders by faction, and players would agree to pick 1 or 2 factions, and then build fleets from those factions. (Its too hard to open all factions to all players, because then players might want the same ships).

Federation:
Constitution Class: USS Enterprise, USS Intrepid
NX Class: NX-01 Enterprise (x2)

Klingon:
D7 Class: IKS Gr'oth (x2 or 3?)
Raptor Class: Somraw

Romulan:
Bird of Prey (TOS): IRW Gal'Gathong, IRW Vorta Vor
Bird of Prey (ENT): IRW Praetus
Drone: Prototype 01

Vulcan:
D'Kyr Class: D'Kyr, Tal'Kir
Surrok Class: Ti'Mur, Ni'Var

Mirror Universe:
Constitution Class: ISS Enterprise (x2)
Terran NX Class: ISS Avenger (x3)

Independent:
Gorn Raider: Gornarus, S'Gorn
Tholian: Tholia One (x2 or 3?)

I'd like to know what the ST:AW BGG community thought about adding Kirk-Movie Ships to the battle box. I'm not an expert in the lore, but I think these would include:

Federation:
Constitution (Refit): USS Enterprise (Refit)
Miranda Class: USS Reliant (x2 or 3)
Excelsior Class: USS Excelsior (I think this would be the only Excelsior Class I would include)

Klingon:
Chang's Bird of Prey
K'Tinga Class: Kronos One (x2) (The other K'Tinga Class ships seem to be from TNG)
B'rel Class: (x2, generic only?) None of the names of B'rel ST:AW ships seemed to be from the movies, but there are B'rel starships in the movies, right?

I'd appreciate any feedback you have for this idea. Especially on the subjects of: 1)faction balance, 2) including TMP ships, 3) ENT-TOS-TMP ships I've missed.

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bell
msg tools
mbmbmb
That's tough - are you planning to divide up the TNG-DS9-VOY ships? Cause they all were basically contemporaries.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle Box idea is pretty cool, I've been having a great time lately slowly moving from Enterprise Era ships to TOS+Movies 1 to 6 era ships over the past couple weeks.

The game is actually really interesting at the Enterprise+TOS+Movies 1 to 6 since cloaking is a decent gamble and since the primary attack value of the ships is fairly low it makes Torpedoes worth taking as far as I'm concerned.


The only real thing that you will see is that adding in the K'tinga will effectively cause the Gr'oth to be left in the box, otherwise it works quite well moving things beyond the Enterprise era to encompass the TOS+Movies 1-6 era.


Note: You must have Redshirts on the Federation ships, lots of Redshirts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ScornMandark wrote:
That's tough - are you planning to divide up the TNG-DS9-VOY ships? Cause they all were basically contemporaries.


I hope to get around to it eventually. In the mirror universe where I'm supreme overlord and have lots of money, I'd build a Dominion War box, a Borg themed box, and an "All-Star" box that uses whatever is currently viable in the real meta. For now, I'm settling for just ENT-TOS, and I'll see how it goes.

In reality, I'm new to Star Trek. I've watched 2 seasons of TOS and 1/2 a season of Enterprise. It'll be easier to decide after I've watched some TNG-DS9-VOY seasons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:
The game is actually really interesting at the Enterprise+TOS+Movies 1 to 6 since cloaking is a decent gamble and since the primary attack value of the ships is fairly low it makes Torpedoes worth taking as far as I'm concerned.


Reading people say things like this is one of the reasons I've wanted to try this out.


MaximumDT wrote:
The only real thing that you will see is that adding in the K'tinga will effectively cause the Gr'oth to be left in the box, otherwise it works quite well moving things beyond the Enterprise era to encompass the TOS+Movies 1-6 era.


I am concerned about this. Would the D7s see play if I included 3 of them, but only 1 K'tinga? I'd like to include movies, but don't want to render any of the ships completely obsolete.


MaximumDT wrote:
Note: You must have Redshirts on the Federation ships, lots of Redshirts.


Haha! I'd overlooked these because they didn't come with a ship. I'll see if I can find any on eBay for a reasonable price. :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the bigger issue with including the K'tinga and Chang's bird is just that the other ships would get their butts kicked. I definitely wouldn't include more than one.
(One thing it'd be helpful to know is what size fleets you're planning to have people build. Kronos One is less of a concern in a 120 point game than in a 50 point game, for example.)

Even so, I think you probably do want the movie ships, because the Feds and Klingons just don't have much content otherwise.

You can also include the generic Oberth (U.S.S. Pegasus) if you like--though I can't imagine why (...target practice for the Klingons?), as well as young Kor from the Ning'tao.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
kobold47 wrote:
I think the bigger issue with including the K'tinga and Chang's bird is just that the other ships would get their butts kicked. I definitely wouldn't include more than one.
(One thing it'd be helpful to know is what size fleets you're planning to have people build. Kronos One is less of a concern in a 120 point game than in a 50 point game, for example.)

Even so, I think you probably do want the movie ships, because the Feds and Klingons just don't have much content otherwise.

You can also include the generic Oberth (U.S.S. Pegasus) if you like--though I can't imagine why (...target practice for the Klingons?), as well as young Kor from the Ning'tao.


I'd like to have enough ships to create 100 pt fleets, but I also plan to play the missions that come with the ships. I'll take your advice and put in one K'tinga and one Chang's BoP. If its too much, I can always take them out. Also, thanks for the Oberth suggestion. I didn't realize it was a movie ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Someone suggested in an older post that basically you put a small marker (label color coded) on all the cards that correspond to a certain era. Think he had 3 TOS, ENT, and STNG. STNG included Voyager and DS9. Hence you would pick an era to play in and you would start from that point with only those ships/upgrades. Sounds similar to your idea, but if I recall correctly the older post had no set limits on the ships. Your idea might work better. Allowing say only one K'tinga or chang warbird per "battle box". I think you got a good idea. Especially maybe the better way to introduce newer players to the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.