Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been covered or mentioned during the Kickstarter campaign, but I can't bare to comb through 1400 comments to find out. My questions are as follows:

1.) Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to adding in the promo cards from this campaign?

2.) Is it wise to add them all or will that dilute the carnivore cards?

3.) Can they all be played together or are there some cards that should not be played with others?

4.) When playing with the promo cards should we remove more cards from play (beyond the stated 40)?

I suppose that's it. Thanks in advance for the answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's answers in a few places around here on the forums. The official answer is to remove one base trait for each promo that you add in so that the deck stays the same size, and maintains the correct ratio of carnivores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Byron, although, that does pose other questions and concerns. For example, if you decide to elimate Warning Call, wouldn't that also make Ambush obsolete, I suppose you could remove both, but then it also reduces the effectiveness of Flight.

I suppose those types of issues can always be overcome, but it seems like you would need to be very careful when selecting the cards to replace so as not to disrupt the delicate balance of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
Thanks Byron, although, that does pose other questions and concerns. For example, if you decide to elimate Warning Call, wouldn't that also make Ambush obsolete, I suppose you could remove both, but then it also reduces the effectiveness of Flight.

I suppose those types of issues can always be overcome, but it seems like you would need to be very careful when selecting the cards to replace so as not to disrupt the delicate balance of the game...

You're thinking about the exact right types of things! As for Warning Call and Ambush, if you take one out make sure to take out the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
afrag wrote:

You're thinking about the exact right types of things! As for Warning Call and Ambush, if you take one out make sure to take out the other.

And put in something else (e.g. if you're subbing in "Sharp Teeth" for "Warning Call", sub in "Quills" for "Ambush") to help maintain the Carnivore/other-trait balance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
afrag wrote:

We really need a more elegant solution for set-up. You can't expect your average game group to have explored the game long and deeply enough to work out that sort of thing. If we want this to be a "system" and not a one-off game, I think better controls need to be in place. If it is supposed to be "Smash Up", where you draft pairs of traits at set-up, so be it...but there needs to be something on the cards linking them, so you can set-up a balanced game without having had to master it. If it's going to be a completely random environment made up of a random selection of cards, like BiosMegafauna, then the cards need to be designed accordingly, so that there are multiple counters and not just one, which is what creates the imbalances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:
We really need a more elegant solution for set-up. You can't expect your average game group to have explored the game long and deeply enough to work out that sort of thing. If we want this to be a "system" and not a one-off game, I think better controls need to be in place. If it is supposed to be "Smash Up", where you draft pairs of traits at set-up, so be it...but there needs to be something on the cards linking them, so you can set-up a balanced game without having had to master it. If it's going to be a completely random environment made up of a random selection of cards, like BiosMegafauna, then the cards need to be designed accordingly, so that there are multiple counters and not just one, which is what creates the imbalances.

As Dom and others have stated elsewhere, the promo cards are exactly that: promos. They are not (and probably never will be) part of the official game, so I doubt they're going to go back and do reprints of all the original and flight cards to add markers linking traits. With the normal game/expansions, you simply add/remove the entire expansion, so there's not really anything else to keep track of (I believe Dom has commented somewhere that future print runs of flight will probably have a flight expansion marker to make it easier to pull them out when removing the expansion from the base game; there is another thread somewhere about how to address this yourself in the meantime).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.