Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just read the rules, have not played the game and have following questions:

1. If I want to set up the game not as per the recommended ship placement, but where each player decides where to go, I understand I can on my turn place my ship in an area where there is one or even two ships already, is that correct?

2. The rulebook says: "After your Ship arrives at the target area you can play exactly one shipyard or resource card at any time. For instance, if you move your Ship to an area with a Camp and play a “Place a Scientist” card to move a Scientist from your supply to the target area, you can move an additional Scientists from your reserve to your supply".
Why can I move an additional scientist to my supply? The card says to move a scientist from my supply to an area.

3. When a player reaches "move ship" action on a research track all players have an opportunity to move their ships. I understand that a player can move from any position (first, second, third) in an area (or do I need to be first to move out?), I need to move to the first available position (last in line) in an area and as soon as I move ships are repositioned (aligned to the left) where I moved out from, is that all correct?

4. Is it true that the only 2 options to have your scientist placed on the game board for end game scoring is by building buildings and playing "Placing a Scientist" cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Acetylene
France
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Bartosz,

Thanks for the interest on the game I will answer to your questions (sorry for my english)

1/ Yes, after a first play with the beginners set up, you can choose where to place your boats following the order ABC etc....

2/ The advantage to place a scientist with a card, before the action take from the reserve scientists to my supply, is that you will take one scientist more from the reserve (and place a scientist in a zone for the majority).

3/ Yes. You will activate this action, passing a blue space on a track. This allowed you to move first one of your boat, for example a boat in 3rd position into an empty zone

4/ Yes. The zone majorities are 8 of the 15 countings at the end. You have also countings on tracks (5), discard ressources (1) and building cards (1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles, I'm sorry to say that, but you haven't answered any of my questions . It may be your English or my English (poor explaining whatever I'm interested in).

Ad 1. I know of the alternative setup, my question was whether I choose an area with already one or two ships in it.

Ad 2. The card says "place a scientist on a board", whereas the rulebook says I can take "additional scientist from reserve to my supply" - it's a contradiction.

Ad 3. I asked 3 sub-questions in this question, please answer each individually.

Ad 4. You say "yes", but I'm afraid you answered a different question. I want to make sure there are only 2 ways of placing my scientists on the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Acetylene
France
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Bartosz,

It's mine, sorry about that.blush I try to be more clear

1/ Yes, you can choose an area with already one or two ship in it.

2/ No, it's not a contradiction. You have 3 places for the scientist
a - the reserve (you must take this scientist in your supply before to place it on the board)
b - your supply (you can place these scientist on the board with the building and the card action)
c - the board (with 8 areas)

The card permitted you to place a scientist from your supply to an area.

The action permitted you to place X scientists (X = your boats & scientists in the area)taken from the reserve to your supply.

It's not the same action. (supply -> board) & (reserve -> supply)

3/ a/ Yes, you can move a ship from any position (1st, 2d, 3d)
b/ you place it last in line in another area
c/ you repositione the ships in the area from where you moved

4/ Yes, there are only 2 ways to place scientists : building and the apposite card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Charles! Now it makes sense ;].

Although I'm still not sure on question 2. Rulebook says (the quote) that the combination of Camp + Place a scientist card = 2 * reserve > supply. Whereas I say it's wrong, it should say instead reserve > supply + supply > board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Acetylene
France
flag msg tools
designer
No, because when you arrive in the area with your boat, you place a scientist in the area from your supply with the card.

Then, if you play the Camp action, you can take 2 scientists (1 for the boat and another for the scientist) from your reserve and place it in your supply.

1/ You play the card (1 scientist from supply -> area)
2/ You play the camp (2 scientists from reserve -> supply)

Is it clear like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I get it, Charles. Thanks so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions and answers, those helped clarify a few points. Though I suspect the rules will become quite a bit clearer for me when I have the game setup and am actually playing it And after reading the rules I'm now really looking forward to pick this up at Essen!

If you don't mind, there is one questions I have after reading the rules:

- During setup, some building cards are removed for the 2-player game. Does that mean that some types of buildings can not be built in the 2-player game, or is that done so that there is less opportunity to build some of the buildings? For example only 2 Parabolic Anetennas instead of 4.

While writing this post I also noticed a small typo in the rules: On page 3 in the picture example at the top, the basic building and resource cards are listed as basis (the 's' at the end should be a 'c'?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Acetylene
France
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Mr Avers,

Yes, the game is easy to learn, but permitted a lot of choices. After a first turn, everything will be clear

In the 2 or 3 players game, some building cards are removed, but all the type of building are always played. (only the number change like in your example)

Too late for the rules, we work on it a lot, but this typos remain. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the answer Charles! We always really enjoy the type of game that seems simple, but becomes a nice challenge through play. So Antarctica will be a great addition to our collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.