8 Posts

Bohnanza» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules about trading? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Shawn
South Korea
flag msg tools
When I promise to give a Green Bean in exchange for a Stink Bean, for example, can I try to fool my opponent and give him a different card by handing it face-down? devil
Of course, I should reveal my card if he asks me to show it first (+ it might brand me as a liar and restrict my later trades), but is giving a wrong card a valid move if he doesn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No way. It would not be a valid trade.

There are other games if you like that sort of underhanded play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Shawn
South Korea
flag msg tools
Thank you for the quick reply. That makes sense. What are some of these other games you mentioned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traded cards have to be planted immediately, so it's obvious which kind of beans are traded.

The first game that comes to mind with trading hidden cards is Civilization. Goods are traded in sets of at elast 3 cards. The only truthful information you have to give is the overall value of goods in the set and the type of one of the goods. All the other ones are free to blatant lying or you could even hide a nasty catastrophe in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out this: Bohnanza: Spiderbeans (or at least read the rules). It is said to introduce a bluffing mechanism to Bohnanza. And though I have this additional set of cards, they have never hit the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cheat is what you are looking for. Plays with a standard deck of cards. You have to state rank and number of cards you are playing which must be same or one higher or lower than what the previous person said. You can play what you like face down onto the stack in the middle of the table but if challenged you have to reveal what you have played and if found to be cheating you have to take all the cards on the table. If you have played what you said the challenger takes all the cards.
A classic move is for example to say 3 queens when everyone knows you just picked them up but play 3 other cards. Next round you say 3 queens again and play the real cards so if challenged you win. Of course one you have done this a couple of time and no one challenges your second play you can try for a double bluff and play them on your third turn, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit...lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also shouldn't make a habit of showing someone your card when you want to offer it a trade. Way too often I see players accidentally cheat because their offer is rejected and they forgot where it was positioned in their hand. Make an offer verbally and don't remove the card(s) from your hand until the other player has accepted.

I always see people mess with up with donating beans especially. It's just too easy to say "here's a wax bean" and hand it over, but you HAVE to wait for the other player to accept it (don't assume he will accept it just because he has a wax bean field - he knows you want to get rid of it and he may prefer you get stuck planting it or he may be try to talk you into a sweeter deal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.