Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking a city: Grouping and resistence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flavien Flavien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

So, I played my 1st solo conquest, and had a question about attacking the last city. I'd like to know the mistakes I made.
On a side not, I also made mistakes during that game: forgot to lower my reputation each time I attacked a fortified site, and forgot to pay mana to buy a spell card. I would not have been able to buy those units and spell.
Anyway, as it was my last tun, I wanted to practice the city attack ; here is the situation (sorry, cards are in French ) :


It's the last tun of the last night, I spent all my cards moving into the city. I have only two spells cards left, my units and some mana.
To have a clearer pictures, I removed my used cards and the white mana I had. I don't have siege attack, so I have to block 1st


I block the white enemy fire attack with my 1st unit + mana for 4 ice block and my +2 ice block shield ability.
I block the brown monster 6 attack with my 3rd unit 8 block.
I cant' block other attacks, so i'll have to assign damage.


I assign the 3 ice damage to my 1st unit, and therefore my hero gets nothing (correct?) Though, the paralize ability detroy my unit and i have to remove it form play.
Then, I think I made a mistake: I grouped the two brown attack for +10 , assigned 7 to my last unit, and then assign 3 to my hero: he took only one blood card (+1 in my dicard).
I guess I should have assigned damage for each brow unit, so:
1st one assigned to my 3rd unit for + 5 attack against a shield of 7, my hero gets nothing, my unit is injured. 2nd brown enemy assigned to me : +5 attack against my shield of 4. I take 2 blood card, and 2 goes to my discard.
Am I correct ?
Now it's my turn to attack.


I play my green spell and give -2 to each enemy's armor.
I attack 1st the fire resistant white enemy with my fire golum unit.
Normal + 3 attack with my + 2 attack ability with my -1 shield ability
Shield 7 : -2(green spell) -3(golum) -2(+2 ability) -1 (-1 shield ability) = he is dead.
Then I group the 4 others enemies that becomes ice and physical resistant. with -2 shield each there group shield is 13 (+6 -2 +6 -2 +4 -2 +5 -2).
I use my full fire spell for +15 attack ( +5 +2 +2 +2 +2 +2) and I destroy them.
Is that correct ?

Thank you guys for your feedback, I appreciate it.
This game is really awesome, I'm very glad I pick it up


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavien Flavien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading some more, I realize that I could have used the shield token of the 1st city I conquered as influence points: I forgot to use that too.
I might have been able to properly buy this level IV unit after all

Can't wait to try again the solo quest with proper rules
I'll have to wait next week unfortunately: Hargh ! Real life is blocking me from gaming
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flav84 wrote:
It's the last tun of the last night, I spent all my cards moving into the city.
Just to check - you know that moving into the city always costs just 2, regardless of the terrain depicted, right.

Quote:
Then, I think I made a mistake: I grouped the two brown attack for +10 , assigned 7 to my last unit, and then assign 3 to my hero: he took only one blood card (+1 in my dicard).
I guess I should have assigned damage for each brow unit, so:
1st one assigned to my 3rd unit for + 5 attack against a shield of 7, my hero gets nothing, my unit is injured. 2nd brown enemy assigned to me : +5 attack against my shield of 4. I take 2 blood card, and 2 goes to my discard.
Am I correct ?
Correct about grouping - you can only group in range/siege attack phase and normal attack phase. Not in block phase and assign damage phase.
It looks like you didn't notice the minotaur is brutal.

Quote:
I play my green spell and give -2 to each enemy's armor.
I attack 1st the fire resistant white enemy with my fire golum unit.
Normal + 3 attack with my + 2 attack ability with my -1 shield ability
Shield 7 : -2(green spell) -3(golum) -2(+2 ability) -1 (-1 shield ability) = he is dead.
Then I group the 4 others enemies that becomes ice and physical resistant. with -2 shield each there group shield is 13 (+6 -2 +6 -2 +4 -2 +5 -2).
I use my full fire spell for +15 attack ( +5 +2 +2 +2 +2 +2) and I destroy them.
Is that correct ?
No.

Firstly, the resistance break skill can only be used on one enemy token, if you use it for the freezers, you cannot use it for others. But note that you didn't need to use resistance break on freezers. The spell reduces their armour to 5 and fire golem attack (3) + cold swordsmanship skill (2) = 5.

Secondly, and more importantly, the rules say: "If at least one targeted enemy has one or more Resistance icons, then all attacks of a type that match a resistance icon are inefficient – their strength is halved." This is it. Don't read anything else into it. In particular, it does not mean all the enemies in that group gain those resistances. Therefore, you could have used resistance break skill either to reduce gunners' armour by 1 or gargoyle's armour by 1.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavien Flavien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:
Just to check - you know that moving into the city always costs just 2, regardless of the terrain depicted, right.
Yes, I've got that part right. I was not adjacent to the city when I moved, so I had to spend more movements to get in the city. But i counted only 2 for the city movement.

Fielmann wrote:
Correct about grouping - you can only group in range/siege attack phase and normal attack phase. Not in block phase and assign damage phase.
It looks like you didn't notice the minotaur is brutal.
Yes indeed, forgot that the minotaur was brutal: Thank you for the reminder.

Fielmann wrote:

Firstly, the resistance break skill can only be used on one enemy token, if you use it for the freezers, you cannot use it for others. But note that you didn't need to use resistance break on freezers. The spell reduces their armour to 5 and fire golem attack (3) + cold swordsmanship skill (2) = 5.
Indeed, i didn't need that resistance break skill. That said, I thought I played it only on that white fire resistant enemy, and therefore seemed correct to play (just unecessary)

Fielmann wrote:

Secondly, and more importantly, the rules say: "If at least one targeted enemy has one or more Resistance icons, then all attacks of a type that match a resistance icon are inefficient – their strength is halved." This is it. Don't read anything else into it. In particular, it does not mean all the enemies in that group gain those resistances. Therefore, you could have used resistance break skill either to reduce gunners' armour by 1 or gargoyle's armour by 1.
That's the part that still confuse me.
1st off, I attacked 15 fire, so it killed them, and didn't need the resistance skill either. Am I correct? fire being not represented in the resistances of that group.
I was thinking resistance break skill works also on fire resitance and cold resistance: Am I wrong ?
Then If at least one targeted enemy has one or more Resistance icons, then all attacks of a type that match a resistance icon are inefficient – their strength is halved."
I understand: all attacks of a type that match a resistance icon of that group are inefficient. Therefore, attacking the gollum with Ice attack would be halved.
I guess that's the part I still don't get quite well. For me it's acting "like" the group gain all the different resistance icons of particping enemies

Thank you again for helping me with this, I really appreciate it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flav84 wrote:
That's the part that still confuse me.
1st off, I attacked 15 fire, so it killed them, and didn't need the resistance skill either. Am I correct? fire being not represented in the resistances of that group.
I was thinking resistance break skill works also on fire resitance and cold resistance: Am I wrong ?
Then If at least one targeted enemy has one or more Resistance icons, then all attacks of a type that match a resistance icon are inefficient – their strength is halved."
I understand: all attacks of a type that match a resistance icon of that group are inefficient. Therefore, attacking the gollum with Ice attack would be halved.
I guess that's the part I still don't get quite well. For me it's acting "like" the group gain all the different resistance icons of particping enemies
My mistake. I thought you subtracted 2 from each enemy's armour because of the resistance break skill but I see it was really because of the green spell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavien Flavien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed, minus 2 because of the green spell.

So, last question is :
Is it correct that "all attacks of a type that match any resistance icon of any enemy of that group are inefficient so, is halved".
My 4 enemies group was therefore acting like cold and physical resistant?

thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything there looks OK to me other than how you assigned the wounds. Minotaur has Brutal so it deals 10 damage (not 5). I think you can still kill them all, you just take a lot more wounds.

Using Flame Wave, as long as none of the monsters have Fire Resistance, is a good way to kill them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
Everything there looks OK to me other than how you assigned the wounds. Minotaur has Brutal so it deals 10 damage (not 5). I think you can still kill them all, you just take a lot more wounds.


... Or he could just block the minotaur with the 3rd unit (instead of the big worm thing), and have this very unit soak the 6 damage from the now unblocked worm.

That leaves him with 2 damage (+2 poison) from the gargoyle, just as initially planned.

The counter-attack sounds correct to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavien Flavien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks every one for the feedback!
Can't wait to try again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flav84 wrote:
Yes indeed, minus 2 because of the green spell.

So, last question is :
Is it correct that "all attacks of a type that match any resistance icon of any enemy of that group are inefficient so, is halved".
My 4 enemies group was therefore acting like cold and physical resistant?

thank you

Your statement that "all attacks of a type that match any resistance icon of any enemy of that group are inefficient so, is halved" is correct.
Your statement that "My 4 enemies group was therefore acting like cold and physical resistant" is incorrect.
The distinction is made because of misunderstandings with things like Resistance Break (your "-1 shield ability"). If you say "My 4 enemies group was therefore acting like cold and physical resistant" then Resistance Break could be used to reduce the armor of any enemy in the group of four enemies by two. Another example could be boosting Tovak's Cold Toughness to block. Of course, this is not correct and no enemies gain resistances or "act like" they have resistances.
Fielmann was just pointing out that when you group enemies for attacks, you only look at whether or not the attack is efficient. You do not add resistances to any enemies.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavien Flavien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I get it now: it's true that grouping limit my attack possibilities , but it does not affect each enemy resistance individually.

Thank you very much !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools

You added the poison wounds to your discards, but poison also double wounds units, and I don't see that displayed in the images or in the text. So I think you need to add an extra wound to the wounded Altem Guardians

The Minotaur does 10 damage, but you can tank it (rather than the crypt worm) without taking any extra wounds. Tank the Minotaur on the Altem Guardians it will double wound (poison) them, leaving 3 damage, tank that on the Fire golems, they have physical resistance and will not be harmed.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavien Flavien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart_aus wrote:

You added the poison wounds to your discards, but poison also double wounds units, and I don't see that displayed in the images or in the text. So I think you need to add an extra wound to the wounded Altem Guardians

Correct,I forgot that too. Thank you for the reminder

Bart_aus wrote:

The Minotaur does 10 damage, but you can tank it (rather than the crypt worm) without taking any extra wounds. Tank the Minotaur on the Altem Guardians it will double wound (poison) them, leaving 3 damage, tank that on the Fire golems, they have physical resistance and will not be harmed.
Interesting: I didn't know that left over from an attack can be assigend to a resistant unit and therefore leave this unit available for attack. Pretty neat trick : Thank you !

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.