5 Posts

Vs System 2PCG: The Marvel Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stunned rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So all characters take progressive damage, or just Main Characters?

In the old game, if a character was attacked by more attack than his defence, he was then stunned and you only recovered one stunned character per turn. Has that changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Slade
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most support characters only have one health (in the bottom right). If a character with one health becomes Stunned, the character is then KO'd. If it's a character like Juggernaut then it has to be stunned twice to be KO'd.

Yes that part of the game has changed:
When it becomes your turn again, all of your stunned characters (that had more than one health) Ready (unless your opponent has Magneto on the field).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DSS2004 wrote:
Most support characters only have one health (in the bottom right). If a character with one health becomes Stunned, the character is then KO'd. If it's a character like Juggernaut then it has to be stunned twice to be KO'd.

When it becomes your turn again, all of your stunned characters (that had more than one health) Ready (unless your opponent has Magneto on the field).

Seems like I'm not going to like the changes.

Combat before was much more tactical. Formations had more of a purpose since you had to be able to reinforce against massive damage, and you had to choose who to keep. Now characters just die if they have low health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Slade
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think I like the newer version more. BUT I got into VS System after it had already been cancelled and it took me a LONG time to learn all of the keywords and how to play. I had a lot of cards that I had bought off eBay, but I still had trouble building decks because of all the rules and so many keywords, etc.

This new system is a lot easier to learn and it's a lot better for new people to get into the game. I'm sure I will definitely like the newer version when we eventually get more characters and a couple more keywords.

If you have the extra money, then I say give it a try. Or at least watch a video of how differently it plays. Who knows? You might like it too. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
DSS2004 wrote:

Seems like I'm not going to like the changes.

Combat before was much more tactical. Formations had more of a purpose since you had to be able to reinforce against massive damage, and you had to choose who to keep. Now characters just die if they have low health.

Oh, combat is still very tactical - but it's a different kind of tactics. You need to set up team attacks, protect your important support characters (and probably your main character as well, depending on their abilities), and figure out which of their characters is the highest priority to take out (Between Sabretooth and Luke Cage, is it more important to knock Sabretooth down and get rid of the +1/+1 counters on him, or is it more important to take out the innate 7/6 that can team up with Sabretooth next turn to put some hurt on your main character?).

Your main character can have a huge impact on how you play as well - Magneto and Xavier want to play it safe the first few turns of the game, meaning you want to put out a bunch of solid defensive guys early, while Wolverine wants a lot of buffs to take out his opponents and Hulk wants to get stunned (preferably while knocking someone else down a peg while he's at it). Spiderman wants to protect his allies at all costs, while Iron Man wants to buff them up. And Rocket wants to burn through his hand as fast as possible, then use his special power each turn to build it back up to hose his opponent.

There is a lot going on with the game, more than enough to make up for the loss of which character not to KO and the (mostly non-choice) of who to reinforce whom. I feel that it's a worthy successor to the original VS system - though I would definitely like to see some more interesting Locations and Special Abilities (particularly around Exhausting and readying characters or other alternative costs/drawbacks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.