Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the second article on The 7th Continent’s game play. Last Time we talked about the General Concept of the game. This time, it’s all about the dice, or rather, the lack of them.

As an adventurer your first and foremost resource is your Action Deck. This deck contains a set number of cards as well as some additional ones specific to your character. Now it’s fairly unorthodox as it represents a variety of resources available to you, neatly grouped into one easy to handle deck of cards. Your Stamina, Survival Instincts, Ideas, useful memories and others are all grouped up in your Action Deck. This deck is common to all players and contains all their specific character cards so you’ll have to cooperate to get the most out of it.

When you wish to perform an action, the game will ask 2 things of you:

1. That you draw a certain amount of cards from the deck
2. That you obtain a certain amount of successes with those cards.

So how does this work? Let’s look at an example from the card below.

On the right hand side of the card, we can see that there’s a "visit" action available. The nature of the action is indicated by the pictogram. Next to it, in the blue diamond, is the minimal amount of cards you must draw in order to begin the action. It says "1+" which means you must draw one card, but you can draw more if you wish (as for why you’d want to do that, we’ll get to that in a moment) in order to begin the action. The second number inside the golden star indicates how many successes you need to obtain on with those cards in order to complete the action. As you can see, it’s a zero. Having a quick stroll over to observe something isn’t exactly a challenge, all it requires is a bit of energy.

So let’s say we decide to perform this action. We must draw 1 or more cards. Now each time you perform an action you may keep one of the cards you draw in your hand as an idea. By drawing more cards in this kind of situation, you use up a bit more energy but you increase your chance of getting good cards into your hand quickly and sometimes one card is all that stands between you and your untimely demise.

But let’s say that we’re not in a hurry. We’re playing it cool. We draw one card. Now it doesn’t matter what card we draw, the action indicates that we need no successes to complete the action. We’ve drawn the required amount of cards and obtained a sufficient number of successes, so, we look below and see a white box with a number inside. White frames like this always indicate the result of a successful action. The green icon the number it’s in means it’s a card we have to draw from the box, the number five.

So out comes number five. This is the result of our exploration. We find a steep cliff that looks a bit dangerous to climb, but, if the flavor text is to be believed, should afford us quite the view. These cards are placed on the "board" with the golden arrow facing towards the map tile they originated from. When you are on these map tiles, you can perform the actions of any attached cards such as this one.

This time we have a climbing action available to us. Once again it requires is to draw at least one card however this time we require at least two successes. So, how do we get successes?

Take the "Remember" card for example. See the golden stars on the left hand side? A full star equals one success. Half stars can be combined with their opposite halves to make a full star and therefore, a success. This is the base mechanic of the game.

Let’s say I decided to draw 2 cards, Remember and Panpipes, and succeeded in getting at least 2 successes (three in this case). We have therefore succeeded in scaling the cliff face. As mentioned before, because we have succeeded, we apply the result written in the white box. This time however, failing this action would have had graver consequences then just wasting a few cards. We would of had to resolve the black box and fallen, injuring ourselves.

The white reward box indicates that I should ban this card from the game and replace it with the Golden card no.5. What does that card do? Well, I’m explaining the game to you here, not spoiling the surprise for you, so you’ll have to wait and see! Needless to say it will have a permanent effect on the map area it is attached to.

So now that we understand how actions work, what can we do with these cards we’ll be accumulating in our hand? Well, first of all, you’re limited to very few idea cards in your hand, around 3 depending on the number of players, so you have to choose wisely which ones you wish to keep.

"Remember" is an idea card that allows you to play an action. It follows exactly the same process as for any other action. Draw cards, get enough successes, and apply the result. In this case, Remember is an especially useful card as it allows you to go through your action discard pile to retrieve a card that you’ve already played.

The Panpipes are an idea card that you can craft. Once again, the craft action indicated on the card shows us what action we need to perform in order to build the item. Next to this we can generally find resource icons: wood, bamboo, liana, etc. If you are on a map card where one of these materials is indicated, you can lower the requirements of the card action by the amount specified below it. In this example, the panpipes require us to simply draw three or more cards in order to succeed. If we had access to bamboo, we would only need to draw one card. If we had access to bamboo and liana (on the same tile) it would essentially be a free action.

Once you have crafted an object it becomes part of your inventory so doesn’t take up a place in your hand of ideas. We then place a dice on it as shown in the upper right hand corner. This is how many times the item can be used before it breaks, 3 in this case. The Dice is there to track the amount of uses remaining.

Items have the effect as shown in the box at the bottom. The panpipes allow you to draw fewer cards and/or acquire a free success when performing a "play music", "hunt", "make fire" or "think" action.

Items are very important to conserving your Action Deck as the bonuses they confer can save you a lot of cards. It’s always good to have the right tools for the job, especially when undertaking particularly dangerous actions.

There are many, many actions available to us as we progress through the game. You don’t need to know the name of every single one, what’s important is that you keep an eye out for when a symbol you have in your hand or in your inventory matches one shown on an action. If that is the case you will generally have a bonus towards completing that action.

Your cards represent your physical energy as much as they do your mental fortitude and you have to keep your Action Deck nice and healthy if you hope to survive the 7th continent. When you run out of cards in your Action Deck you reshuffle the pile. From this point onwards, if you draw one of the aforementioned curse cards from your deck then your adventure is cut short as your ailment overwhelms you. When this happens you have to find some way of replenishing your cards but time will be against you by that point. You want to track down food and supplies wherever possible in order to replenish your cards.

Next time we’ll be talking about just what makes this game such an epic adventure and the lengths Serious Poulp has gone to to make sure it’s not too cumbersome.

Source: http://www.trictrac.net/news/the-7th-continent-the-hand-of-f...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one word for that: AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving everything I've read about this so far! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing more info.

Always good to know more about this game. Keep them coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladir Drakulis
France
flag msg tools
Can't wait for this KS !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BrunoS wrote:

The white reward box indicates that I should ban this card from the game and replace it with the Golden card no.5. What does that card do? Well, I’m explaining the game to you here, not spoiling the surprise for you, so you’ll have to wait and see!

I CAN'T WAIT !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How complex will the rulebook be?

Can't wait to have a look at it!

Edit: Are there no dice at all? That would be awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:

Are there no dice at all? That would be awesome!!!

I guess no rolled dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...but?

Are there dice in order to track things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
...but?

Are there dice in order to track things?

Your items' durability: Each time you use an item, decrease the d6 value on it by 1. When you reach 0, the object (card) is discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance there will be a prototype copy at BGG.CON to try out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When will we be able to watch it played?

The very last concern I have before I go nuts with excitement is about how streamlined the rules and the gameplay will be.

Is this an icon overkill?
Accessible for standard human beings?
How easy to learn?
How many pages will the rulebook have?

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaargh, this might become the first Kickstarter project i support...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks just great; definitely getting. Still, a couple questions:

1) I realize this is modeled after a choose-your-own adventure book, so just like one of those, once you go through, the replayability is somewhat limited, yes?

For example, if you take the cliff action that flips card #5, then you know that card is a fall off a cliff. Is the intention that 600+ cards will keep it difficult to remember what's what? I ask because I have a mind for numbers and will forever know that card 5 is a fall off a cliff.

2) How do multiple players work? Do they all have their own tableau like the demo'er did in the video? If that's the case, table space is gonna get eaten up, yes? Maybe 1-4P is already a good player count for this one then.

Still, it looks great. I love the action deck mechanism vs this being another MERSC (a term I coined for "move, explore, roll for skill check") type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the intention is to keep selling you expansion packs.

Like T.I.M.E. Stories, the cost for story and exploration heavy games is replayability, so pay up for the content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is somewhat similar: Is the map always the same? It seems that way since there are directions to take specific map tiles when you move in different directions.

I'll note that this isn't a dealbreaker for me, and given how much information there is on each tile and the other random factors this may not be noticable for the first few plays, but I'm guessing that after a while you'll know the general layout of the Continent - the mountains are over there, there's a river going through here and so on. Or are there mechanics that add randomness to the map layout?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah the map is the same.
Exploring this huge map is the game after all

But for what i've understood,when moving from one tile to another,you draw a random event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Cecchetti
Italy
Navacchio
PI
flag msg tools
mb
The mechanic of resolving actions thorugh revealing other cards reminds me somehow "Friday", in which you draw cards to obtain points to success, but also negative ones, so you need to decide how many cards to reveal, and when you end the deck of these fight cards you add to them a very negative card, as an aging effect.

I really like it. And I am looking forward to this KS project to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:

But for what i've understood,when moving from one tile to another,you draw a random event.

I think some of the tile numbers have duplicates (e.g. two different "forest 5" cards), in which case you draw one at random. One of them may feature a cave to explore, another a giant stone statue, etc.

This way, even if you know the general layout of the island (I'm going to find mountains if I explore north, plains if I go south, and a lake on the east), some encounters will be specific to that game, keeping an air of mystery to the island even on the second playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
Belsamoreth wrote:

I think some of the tile numbers have duplicates (e.g. two different "forest 5" cards), in which case you draw one at random. One of them may feature a cave to explore, another a giant stone statue, etc.

This way, even if you know the general layout of the island (I'm going to find mountains if I explore north, plains if I go south, and a lake on the east), some encounters will be specific to that game, keeping an air of mystery to the island even on the second playthrough.

If this is true it would be enough for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:

You are almost spot on my friend. and I say almost because if it's a cave shown on the map tile then it's always a cave that you'll find. The cave could be empty or it could be full of BEEEEEEEEEEEES, or something else. You get my drift. I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

You are almost spot on my friend. and I say almost because if it's a cave shown on the map tile then it's always a cave that you'll find. The cave could be empty or it could be full of BEEEEEEEEEEEES, or something else. You get my drift. I hope.

"Something else" like...fire ants?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to invest in a SYSTEM that is capable of telling great stories and having amazing replayability for years to come. From what I have seen, this game has the ability to be just that. I really look forward to this KS and hope it is successful so that dozens of maps can be built with various themes over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
"Something else" like...fire ants?

Gods no man, we make games, not torture devices...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.