Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andres Cervantes
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This post is not confirming a reprint. I merely want to ask a few questions.
What is the likelihood FFG could do a retheme for Episode VII? Would it be something you would consider purchasing(Those who have a copy already and those who don't)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy flight already has Imperial Assault which in the skirmish mode does something similar to epic duels. I do not think they will reprint this when they can just make expansions for imperial assault
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanXor wrote:
Fantasy flight already has Imperial Assault which in the skirmish mode does something similar to epic duels. I do not think they will reprint this when they can just make expansions for imperial assault

I'm expecting Hasbro will release a bunch of Episode VII-themed games, like they did with the prequel trilogy. If there's an Epic Duels 2.0, this is the likely publisher. And it's totally reasonable for Hasbro to put out a game like this, even with Imperial Assault already out there. They're different games at very different price points, sold at different retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
I'm expecting Hasbro will release a bunch of Episode VII-themed games, like they did with the prequel trilogy. If there's an Epic Duels 2.0, this is the likely publisher. And it's totally reasonable for Hasbro to put out a game like this, even with Imperial Assault already out there. They're different games at very different price points, sold at different retailers.

Doesn't FFG have an exclusive contract to make board games for Star Wars through 2017?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

Doesn't FFG have an exclusive contract to make board games for Star Wars through 2017?

I don't know the technicalities of their licensing agreement, but there are Star Wars games and Star Wars themed traditional games available in big box retailers that are not FFG products. (And my son apparently wants all of them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one really knows the technicalities of the licencing and distribution rules surrounding the Star Wars games, but the "common" understanding is that Hasbro gets to make board games and FFG gets to make the other stuff. Star Wars LCG is a card game. X-Wing/Armada/Imperial Assault are miniatures games.

IA was delayed at the last minute, and a Hasbro logo appeared on the retail boxes that was not on the previously released mockups. There is no real evidence to support this, but many people think Hasbro took a look at IA and thought the line was a little too blurred and that the delay was due to FFG/Hasbro/Disney having to have a powwow about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

Quite the opposite. FFG has the ability to make RPGs, cards, and miniatures games. Hasbro has the board game rights.

There was some behind-the-scenes deal with Imperial Assault that CP alluded to but wouldn't go into details about that let them release it. However, they can only sell it using Hasbro distributors, I believe, and they needed to classify it as a miniatures game (hence the inclusion of skirmish rules).

My guess is Hasbro is taking a chunk of each sale of IA, but FFG just couldn't pass up any opportunity to release a game that I'm sure every single person at that company dreamed about making since they were a child. And Hasbro didn't want to pass up a chunk of change for doing nothing at all, in an area that is exceptionally unlikely to steal business from their Star Wars games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
SeanXor wrote:

This. If we are to see an ED 2.0, this is how it would be likely to happen. And I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Quite the opposite. FFG has the ability to make RPGs, cards, and miniatures games. Hasbro has the board game rights.

This, which is why this won't happen, not from FFG anyways, even though that'd be the preferable situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with what has been said. Additionally, it is unlikely that FFG would get hold of the rights to use the Epic Duels engine. Love that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were plans for a Clone Wars retheme of Epic Duels some time back but it never happened. I think that with the new movies and Disney ownership of Star Wars, Hasbro would be dumb not to put out as much Star Wars content as they possibly can. And with ED already designed mechanically, they could easily retheme it for the new stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new toys were released on Friday 9/4. A google search of the the board game tie-in's revealed nothing even remotely resembling ED.

Unless they trot one out at a latter date, or with the subsequent films, it would seem all hope is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M00NSYLVER wrote:
The new toys were released on Friday 9/4. A google search of the the board game tie-in's revealed nothing even remotely resembling ED.

Unless they trot one out at a latter date, or with the subsequent films, it would seem all hope is lost.

Moon, you know as well as I do that A) Fans will create an Ep VII version and B) The fan-created version will be as good or better than what Hasbro or any other company would produce. Heck, there are already decks for Rey and Kylo Ren at the wiki and they're not bad.

http://epicduels.pbworks.com/w/page/9779390/Characters

Just because it's professionally done doesn't make it better. It makes it bound to corporate timelines which often result in sacrificing quality. I hear that Rob Daviau himself admits failure with the original Vader deck.

What I would love about a Hasbro version is figures, which I'm currently not sure how I'll get, but I'm pretty sure they will be widely available. A Hasbro version would also mean less work for me as one of the fan designers, since I'd have a basis from which to start making decks for the new characters instead of having to start from scratch.

I don't mind starting from scratch though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Farraday wrote:

[...] The fan-created version will be as good or better than what Hasbro or any other company would produce.

I like official things, but in some cases I learned than fan-creations are better than original. ED is for sure one of those cases.

I dare to say that Hasbro would do a good business hiring some of the fan-creators of ED, to work for a (eventual) future game in the serie...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.