Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my copy yesterday, did the punch and sort, setup as a 2 player game last night (not a quick game to learn while playing).

Had 2 scenarios come up that I couldn't find answers to.

1. Into the Wilds states that you only use the Regular Green Enemies. First encounter I hit was Mutating Mists, which state "At the end of the Defence Phase discard all (wound) and Condition tokens from Enemy cards and replace each Green Enemy in any area with a random Blue Enemy." Would I have Green, or Blue enemies? I played it as "Pull a different encounter", as my first fight in my first turn of my first game while trying to understand the rules seemed to be spiralling into insanity quickly, but I'd like to know going forward.

2. When is a scenario "won"? At the end of the Encounter phase? Or the end of the Time phase? I was on the last box on the time track (next was the big You Lose), did the last point of damage to Ghardhak, took my damage from the hoard of enemies I managed to send at Ardenai (Fengray was alone with Ghardhak)...And then was confused. Win at end of Encounter phase? Or proceed with Timer Phase?

Everything else seemed to play through without too much ambiguity, but that manual is now well worn. Mage Knight Reference Manual worn... LOVE IT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Each round you would draw Green enemies then at the end of the Defence Phase any Green enemies still alive get replaced with random Blue enemies. In this first scenario you'd be wise to ignore it as it's just a learning thing and there's a reason why only regular Green enemies are chosen for this one. But it isn't that hard to implement.

2. Is a good question, haven't seen it asked before but I would have taken the win, no questions asked! laugh (One would assume the quest is over when you achieve the quest target, I imagine the ticking clock is only there to add pressure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, having just checked the scenario states:

End: When Ghardhak the Charred is eliminated.

So I would take that at face value and that is when the scenario is 'won'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bendik Vedeler
Norway
Høvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't remember where at the moment (but I am fairly sure it is in the quest guide), but it is specified that in the introductory scenario you only include encounters that have *only* the Wildlands tag.

The Mutating Mists encounter you mention have two tags and should therefore not be used for Into the Wilds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Neophyte wrote:
I don't remember where at the moment (but I am fairly sure it is in the quest guide), but it is specified that in the introductory scenario you only include encounters that have *only* the Wildlands tag.

The Mutating Mists encounter you mention have two tags and should therefore not be used for Into the Wilds.

Nope, I double checked my deck too, because I thought what you stated could be an explanation for the confusion, but alas, Mutating Mists only had the "wildlands" trait. So the OP question still stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through the stack of encounters carefully to ensure I didn't screw something up (like multiple keywords), as a first game I wanted it to be as straightforward as possible.

I understood that the ENCOUNTER was over when the end conditions were met, but wasn't sure about the quest. I was viewing the time deck as "how long did you spend to do what you just did" - if that's the case, I lost during the final fight. Thematically, it makes sense like that - moving to a new location, encountering enemies, being pursued / attacking / being attacked, resting after such an event - that doesn't happen instantaneously, it all takes time. The Time track, oddly enough, tracks that time.

While the manual tells you when you lose, and how you lose (so many ways), it doesn't have any indication on when to check for scenario win. If it's after the time track, and you've got 1 box left on the time track, why bother - you've already lost. If it's after the encounter, before the time track, you still have a chance of pulling off a 11th hour win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the Quest simply to successfully complete the Special Encounter? Before the Time Track runs out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My Guess. Mutating mist probably have an errata and should have two keywords.

I think that the end of the final encouner is the end of the quest. It would be extremely anticlimatic otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
Received my copy yesterday, did the punch and sort, setup as a 2 player game last night (not a quick game to learn while playing).

Had 2 scenarios come up that I couldn't find answers to.

1. Into the Wilds states that you only use the Regular Green Enemies. First encounter I hit was Mutating Mists, which state "At the end of the Defence Phase discard all (wound) and Condition tokens from Enemy cards and replace each Green Enemy in any area with a random Blue Enemy." Would I have Green, or Blue enemies? I played it as "Pull a different encounter", as my first fight in my first turn of my first game while trying to understand the rules seemed to be spiralling into insanity quickly, but I'd like to know going forward.

2. When is a scenario "won"? At the end of the Encounter phase? Or the end of the Time phase? I was on the last box on the time track (next was the big You Lose), did the last point of damage to Ghardhak, took my damage from the hoard of enemies I managed to send at Ardenai (Fengray was alone with Ghardhak)...And then was confused. Win at end of Encounter phase? Or proceed with Timer Phase?

Everything else seemed to play through without too much ambiguity, but that manual is now well worn. Mage Knight Reference Manual worn... LOVE IT!

1. I have played the Muting Mists encounter , in Into The Wilds and I just did what it said and fought the Blue enemies. By then I had a couple of Good Reward weapons and combos going so I managed to survive them.

2. The Game overview and Encounter Phase state :-

[="Rules Reference"]
Game Overview
...and then succeed at the final Quest before their time runs out and the ......
Encounter Aftermath
During the Encounter Phase players check if they satisfy any of the conditions that would allow them to successfully complete an Active Encounter (if one is in play), Rest, and receive Rewards as a result of an Encounter Aftermath.[/q]

So Succeed at the Final quest and success is checked during the Encounter Phase and before the Time phase.

Therefore Win at the end of the Encounter Phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also this paragraph on P2 of the Quest Guide:

Quest Guide wrote:
Quest Victory
This Quest ends in Hero victory, when the Into the Wilds Encounter is
successfully ended. No special rules apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Quest potentially ends only during the Encounter Phase: the Special Encounter needs to be successfully ended for the Heroes to be victorious, and that happens during the Encounter Phase. So, in order to be victorious, you need to kill the Special Enemy and have at least one Hero standing after the following Defence Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.