Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Jorge
Portugal
Amora
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the rules, a flying creature (SSS DNA) must be size 1. Isn't that counter-intuitive, when we take into account the existence of Argentavis and Quetzalcoatlus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are likely right Ricardo. However, mass estimates for Quetzalcoatlus are extremely speculative because no existing species share a similar size or body plan, and in consequence published results vary widely. I myself think this creature flew with a very light wing loading like a frigatebird and thus perhaps only had a mass of 70 kg. The largest extinct teratorn vultures also were perhaps 70 kg. Both of these would be barely size 2 in the game. All other flying creatures known, alive and extinct, are size 1 however. The heaviest flying creatures today are 18 kg bustards, which is at the low end of size one.

In the predecessor game American Megafauna, I allowed flying creatures up to size 2 (size 2 ranges from 50 to 200 kg or so in game scale). But in the redesign for Bios Megafauna, I limited flight to size one creatures with a triple "S" adaptation (instead of a "wings" adaptation). The reasons for the design change was to eliminate the too powerful wings adaptation and genotype cards, replaced by stringent flight conditions any player could achieve with long-range planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.