♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
--and found the premise to be absolutely ridiculous. The entire movie hinges on that premise, which is just to give the main character a reason to go on a killing spree, and I wasn't buying it. For those of you unfamiliar, here it is:

They stole his car and killed his dog.

Now, if someone stole my car, I'd probably call the police and the insurance company and get on with my life, but then again, I drive a Yaris, not a Mustang. Maybe that makes a difference. And if someone killed my dog, yeah, I'd probably go Medieval on the person who did it, but not to the extent this guy did. Wick's body count in this movie is 77.

Seventy-seven.

It makes me wonder what the sequels (because you know they're going to make them) are going to be like.

They bashed in his mailbox and left poop on his front porch. (Body Count: 144,929)

They backed over his rose bushes and TP'd his yard. (Body Count: 1 metric hojillion)

They took the last piece of pizza and didn't flush his toilet. (Body Count: ∞)

I mean, why not? They work about as well as the original premise for the movie. We could make a franchise out of these ideas, if all people are looking for in their movies is a bunch of people killing each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
They bashed in his mailbox and left poop on his front porch. (Body Count: 144,929)

I would kickstart the hell out of this!

What else could they do?

They cut in line at the local taco joint and took the very last taco. (Damage Count: One small town burnt down)

They fart in elevator and blame it on you just as a beautiful woman walks in. (Damage Count: Two square city blocks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cousin mentioned this movie last night.

"I'll never get that time back" was her comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the theme is totally pasted on, but the mechanics are tight?

Don't forget, his wife gave him that dog, from beyond the grave. Enabling him to grieve, to feel something!

They forgot to pick up the poop from his new dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, but I think it was less "they killed his dog" and more "they killed his dog that was the after-the-fact gift from his dead wife". From a storytelling perspective the goal was to provide the minimum possible motivation in order to get on with the raw kinetics of a pure revenge flick—to use the smallest stone to initiate an avalanche. I thought it worked like gangbusters, though YMMV, obviously.*

*For me the only sour note was

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the choice of a pit bull puppy at the end. It was at odds with his desire to change—and if he's giving in to his psychopathic self then taking care of a dog isn't even on his radar. The whole "badass chooses a badass dog" rings false as in my experience people choose the breed to appear as something they aren't.

EDIT: ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
My cousin mentioned this movie last night.

"I'll never get that time back" was her comment.

Only makes sense if it was followed immediately by "...nor would I want to."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
John Wick is so famous that even the policeman, the bartenders, the mafia, the hotel staff, half the regular folk in the town etc etc know him.

Yet.. the son of The Mafia Boss, who beats him up and kills his dog, has never heard of him. even though he was a former employee.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, last time somebody stole my car and killed my dog, I had the sense to stop killing at 57.

This guy must really be crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I saw John Wick this weekend--

On purpose?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Tufturk wrote:
So, the theme is totally pasted on, but the mechanics are tight?

I have a friend who likes action movies. He doesn't care what else is going on with the movie, so long as there are explosions and fight scenes. I don't mind either, but I want a good story to go along with the action. Yeah, the action is good, but what's the point of it all? Why not back it up with something more profound or significant?

That being said:

Quote:
Don't forget, his wife gave him that dog, from beyond the grave. Enabling him to grieve, to feel something!

I totally missed this. For some reason, I thought the dog came from his sister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
--and found the premise to be absolutely ridiculous. The entire movie hinges on that premise, which is just to give the main character a reason to go on a killing spree, and I wasn't buying it. For those of you unfamiliar, here it is:

A guns-a-blazin' movie with a flimsier plot than Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

Sounds like the inspiration for a country song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching this for the plot was your mistake. Beautiful action movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Verkisto wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:

Sounds like the inspiration for a country song.
Maybe even enough for BOTH 'kinds' of 'music'; Country AND Western!
_sauron_
..robot~"They's stole`d my 'dog' and kill`d my car named Kenny, Y-O-U Bastards!"-by Dudeis L`Bow-wow-ski.
_sauron_
,/kiss\~"Stand by your 'Mafia Hitman', that is, unless HE is a 'target'!"-Loredy Howsome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the premise hilarious.

And this is a "who cars?" movie. It's not about the plot, it's about the awesome and varied ways Keanu shoots guys in the head.

I, for one, enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Now, if someone stole my car, I'd probably call the police and the insurance company and get on with my life, but then again, I drive a Yaris, not a Mustang. Maybe that makes a difference. And if someone killed my dog, yeah, I'd probably go Medieval on the person who did it, but not to the extent this guy did. Wick's body count in this movie is 77.

Are you an ex-assassin who is so notorious and deadly that there are legends about your deeds to the point where you are considered more frightening than the bogeyman? You talk about this like he's some average Joe, a used car salesman or something, he is a trained killing machine that is so vicious that the other hit-men fear him.

Also the dog is the physical representation of his dead wife (who only died a few days before this event,) a woman he loved so much he completely changed his entire life for her. Killing that dog is like killing his wife all over again, and while he can't take on cancer he can go after the men who killed her the second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Are you an ex-assassin who is so notorious and deadly that there are legends about your deeds to the point where you are considered more frightening than the bogeyman? You talk about this like he's some average Joe, a used car salesman or something, he is a trained killing machine that is so vicious that the other hit-men fear him.

Also the dog is the physical representation of his dead wife (who only died a few days before this event,) a woman he loved so much he completely changed his entire life for her. Killing that dog is like killing his wife all over again, and while he can't take on cancer he can go after the men who killed her the second time.

Well, that clears everything right up! All's forgiven!!! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Blott wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Well, that clears everything right up! All's forgiven!!! yuk

What is unclear about that? Do I need to simplify it even more?

OK, John Wick is a psychopathic, rampaging murderer, and someone was mean to him so he reacted by murdering a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it. Its an action movie - it doesnt need to make sense.

And I thought it was funny to have a bad guy that even other bad guys fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
John Wick is so famous that even the policeman, the bartenders, the mafia, the hotel staff, half the regular folk in the town etc etc know him.

Yet.. the son of The Mafia Boss, who beats him up and kills his dog, has never heard of him. even though he was a former employee.

shake

This didn't really come off that badly for me. To me they made it seem like the son was a spoiled kid that had mostly been sheltered from the company ways while being permitted to indulge in the benefits. Also that the mafia boss dad never really had any confidence in the son taking over as the heir apparent they were ostensibly training him to be.

I don't see anything surprising about at least some of the police and the mafia knowing about him, but aren't the bartenders and hotel staff that you're referring to part of the agreed "neutral ground" for hit men (and others in complimentary fields) in that town, where, by way of tacit agreement, no business can be conducted?

Blott wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Plus the person who kills said dog is the son of a mafia boss, and said mafia boss puts a bunch of people in between John Wick and his son, trying to prevent the inevitable. Then even after Wick offs the son, the mafia boss kills Wick's ally and (IIRC) sends people after Wick himself.
If it had been some punk no-name leading a gang of 5 others, then Wick's body count would have been 6. The movie would also have been a lot shorter.

My biggest problem with the movie is the "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die." moment where the bad guys ...
successfully incapacitate Wick (when Wick's body count was probably only around 25 or so) and don't just immediately fill him so full of lead that the coroner will be able to use any part of his anatomy as a pencil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
With the latest 'idjiteration' of Daniel Craig for 007, then this now became: "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to D-Y-E... your 'hair'."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: I saw John Wick "burn, baby burn" this weekend--
surprise W-H-A-T-? NONE's ofs yous thought of this as of yet?
"burning the WICK at both ends"
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was one of the most enjoyable action movies in a long time, taking place in a coolly stylized underworld and accented with astoundingly slick characters in painfully brutal action sequences.

The fact that someone could be triggered to all this by his dog made it that much cooler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I thought it was one of the most enjoyable action movies in a long time, taking place in a coolly stylized underworld and accented with astoundingly slick characters in painfully brutal action sequences.

The fact that someone could be triggered to all this by his dog made it that much cooler.

+1

Paul nails it here. I freakin' loved Wick because it was one awesome stylish action flick with enough violence, cool cars, incredible action scenes, great music, and bad ass dialogue to more than make up for any silly plot deficiencies. Plot? Who cares about "plot"?!, just give me another head shot! I can't wait for the sequel, which is in the works already!

Oh, and I should mention that I also loved Denzel Washington's "The Equalizer" just as much, for all the same reasons! Plot, bah, who cares about plots when there's evil Russians who need to be killed by bad ass retired assassins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.