Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How many games do you own that are still in shrink and are unopened and therefore unplayed?
1-5
6-15
16-25
26-35
36-45
46+
      308 answers
Poll created by WittyreaderLI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping I am not alone, but I'm a game hoarder apparently ! ;-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 2, but that's because they just came the other day and I haven't had a chance to go thru them.

I open and inventory every game I get now, so while I don't have many in shrink, I do have probably 30-40 that are unplayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I haven't played my copy of a game, yet, I'd rather it be in shrink than not. That way if I play someone else's copy and realize the game isn't for me, it has greater trade or sale value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only still in shrink, unopened game I have is BOBBY LEE 3rd edition. The other games, not in shrink, unplayed are VICTORY in EUROPE, 4th edition NAPOLEON, the latest FORTRESS AMERICA and WARLORDS of EUROPE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I have any still in shrink. I usually open and organize everything fairly quickly after getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
If I haven't played my copy of a game, yet, I'd rather it be in shrink than not. That way if I play someone else's copy and realize the game isn't for me, it has greater trade or sale value.

Smart gamer. However, in the long run, to buy a game and not open it, review the contents and learn the rules, seems a waste to me. You have a good plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we have like 15 games that we haven't gotten to, but I always open games and look at everything and learn the rules. We don't get to most games because we are two players most of the time besides 2 days a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
None. I haven't bought anything for a long while, and the shipment I got today had only expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrink does not increase the value of games to me. In fact, for older/OOP games, I am often a little wary of "in shrink" copies and would actually prefer an opened and verified complete game. It's a real bummer to open a game published twenty years ago and find pieces missing or damaged, realizing that you are hosed when it comes to replacing them.

Also, shrink can be replaced, a number of places do it. So no, shrink probably does not increase perceived value with everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
The shrink is off before it even gets home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll explain my philosophy of why I have so many games in shrink, and you can feel free to tell me what you think.

I used to buy a new game, and then open it. Then on my birthday, I got about 10-12 new games. I was a bit overwhelmed. On a good week, I can maybe play two or three games. So what I've been doing for the last year is do a "Game of the week." I make a list of all the unopened games in my collection. I sort them in various methods and this has change a few times. Initially I opened them in the order I got them in, then I opened them in the order I wanted to play them in, since there are some games I receive as gifts/purchase that I am super excited to get to the table, and others not quite as much, but I'm still interested in them. I currently have a list that goes between games I've owned for a while and haven't opened and games that I REALLY want to play.

I then open one game (rarely two). This gives me a chance to read the rules, learn the game and get at least two plays in. IT also gives me a chance to play some of my older titles and make sure they are rotated it.

I've also come to find, at least with the current people I play games with that they don't want to learn more than one or two new games in a night.

What do you guys think? Crazy? Makes sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remove the shrink almost immediately. I have a few unplayed games, but nothing in shrink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No in-shrink games and only one in-shrink expansion, only one unplayed (a second is unplayed of *our* copy but have played another person's copy so while out of shrink, it's still unpunched) in our collection...feels good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not buy a game unless I am at least 90% sure it will get played. Since I don't really have a dedicated game group, this leaves out a lot of the heavier stuff or the "epic" games. I would like to play a Descent campaign or play an epic game of Twilight Imperium 3rd, or [insert recent hit euro that is also heavy]... So when I do buy a game, I will unwrap it and organize the bits. No need to read the rules as I usually know how to play ahead of time cool

Maybe my answer to the poll was also 0 because I am a poor college student with a small budget for games, hence a relatively small game library
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think no matter how many reviews, how many pictures or how many times you read a rulebook, until you get a game to the table with your friends, you can't tell if you will like it or not.

And I'm someone who has no real gaming group. I have friends who like gaming, but they don't buy games so the only why I can truly decide if a game is right for me is to buy it and try it. So I've bought a few "duds" or games that sounded awesome on paper but when I got them to the table, I was disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I pop the shrink on all my games. And early in BGG.CON history, I used to check out games from the library that were still in shrink, and pop those too. I remember popping the shrink at BGG.CON for the game Big Boss, which back then was a really rare game. It was completely satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three for me.
JAB: Realtime Boxing - BGG door prize. Probably not my kind of game.
Money! - Also a BGG door prize.
Mansions of Madness: Call of the Wild - Christmas present. Should have just returned it; I just can't convince myself to open it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike II

Just the one. I normally go through the game when I buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I leave them in the shrinkwrap so they call out to me from the shelf - "You bought me...why aren't you playing me?" Sometimes the guilt of the neglect overwhelms me and I get it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always remove the shrinkwrap from a game to check for completeness.

That said, I have about 54 games/expansions, or roughly a third of my collection that has never been played. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie T
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 0, but only because my favorite thing to do when I get a new game is to open it. I have probably three or four games that I've not yet played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have 1 in shrink, Elysium, but I have 7 others that are opened but not played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Three for me.
JAB: Realtime Boxing - BGG door prize. Probably not my kind of game.
Money! - Also a BGG door prize.
Mansions of Madness: Call of the Wild - Christmas present. Should have just returned it; I just can't convince myself to open it.

Brian,

two of those games are brilliant. One a brilliant implementation of a theme, and one just a brilliant mechanic. You should play them. And, sure, if you don't like them, rid yourself of them, but play them none the less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I guesstimated 36-45 and that could easily be a little to the low side, but a couple of mini-explanations are in order in my case, I think.

First, an awful lot of those games are thrifted copies that I'm far more interested to trade or resell (or even gift away) than to ever actually play myself.

Second, even though there are perhaps 1200 games here, I am not a "game collector" per se -- every single game that I own can and will be played without hesitation, shrinkwrapped or not. Heck, if you were here browsing my shelves and suddenly said "Oh wow, I can't believe you have 'Frammitz 2012', could we possibly play it?", I'd even give you the pleasure of opening the game; I wouldn't even need to think about it before saying "Sure, bust 'er open while I clear the table".

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.