Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a classic case where if Germany could have been defeated the UK would have lost.

Thanks for hanging in there and posting a great narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
This is a classic case where if Germany could have been defeated the UK would have lost.

That was exactly our conclusion! Because we didn't understand the victory conditions, it negatively affected our play. Here are some, but not all, of ours misplays:

1) USA and USSR sandbagged on the first card. I think this was one of our biggest mistakes. USA won one conference, and had I understood the game a bit earlier the USSR could have won one (more?) but for poor coordination in one conference.

2) USA draws were rough. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that I tossed an average of 25 points away every time. For sure there were at least three times that I tossed at least three 5 point negotiators. I also agree with Paul that my dice rolling was horrible. Roosevelt died on his second use and Truman only had 4 points of power three times!

3) My inability to read understand the charts DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME meant that I was too lackadaisical against Japan. I didn't understand that by not pushing through the Philippines I'd lose points. I also lost points because I did push the Central Pacific (which WAS harder to get through) too far. BTW Japan killed 2 fleets and only had one fleet die in 4 sorties. Not statistically huge, but added salt to my self-inflicted cuts.

4) Lack of total trust between USA and USSR at the end. A huge push by the Soviets at the end could have secured Soren the win, as stated above. But since we didn't understand that, the USA was still trying to "take points away from Churchill." The final losing strategy.

I'm sure there are other things as well. But these are the basics. I DON'T think that the poor personnel who attended the Conferences were a game changer. But they did cause me to be frustrated by their lack of professionalism and made my bad decisions easier to make. :-p

It is a great game, and I intend on giving Paul a better run for his money.

Oh, one last point, the sides were chosen randomly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huffman123 wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:

That was exactly our conclusion! Because we didn't understand the victory conditions, it negatively affected our play. Here are some, but not all, of ours misplays:

1) USA and USSR sandbagged on the first card. I think this was one of our biggest mistakes. USA won one conference, and had I understood the game a bit earlier the USSR could have won one (more?) but for poor coordination in one conference.

2) USA draws were rough. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that I tossed an average of 25 points away every time. For sure there were at least three times that I tossed at least three 5 point negotiators. I also agree with Paul that my dice rolling was horrible. Roosevelt died on his second use and Truman only had 4 points of power three times!

3) My inability to read understand the charts DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME meant that I was too lackadaisical against Japan. I didn't understand that by not pushing through the Philippines I'd lose points. I also lost points because I did push the Central Pacific (which WAS harder to get through) too far. BTW Japan killed 2 fleets and only had one fleet die in 4 sorties. Not statistically huge, but added salt to my self-inflicted cuts.

4) Lack of total trust between USA and USSR at the end. A huge push by the Soviets at the end could have secured Soren the win, as stated above. But since we didn't understand that, the USA was still trying to "take points away from Churchill." The final losing strategy.

I'm sure there are other things as well. But these are the basics. I DON'T think that the poor personnel who attended the Conferences were a game changer. But they did cause me to be frustrated by their lack of professionalism and made my bad decisions easier to make. :-p

It is a great game, and I intend on giving Paul a better run for his money.

Oh, one last point, the sides were chosen randomly!

Sounds like you learned a lot. Also remember you only shuffle deck on odd numbered conferences, so it hard to get two weak hands in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not listen to these English-speaking layabouts! I, Stalin, acted in the best of faith throughout, even cautioning my infantile opponents against putting the pieces into their mouths. I labored hard to bring myself to not always play a low card in the agenda determination phase, but couldn't bring myself to go high knowing that the fiendish Churchill was likely going to make a mockery of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is what is a fist conference? Was Stallone involved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
This amazing title is not so much a game as a lifestyle.

When three competitive guys around 50 years old each, stay up until 2:30 AM on a work night, AND don't understand the victory conditions until the end... That qualifies as a lifestyle choice.

Brits 84 VP
Soviet 65 VP
USA 48 VP

[My recollection are fuzzy guys, so comment and correct as you see fit.]

To prove the first sentence....

I think we didn't count USA's 8 VPs for Japanese surrender, so US ended up with a 56 VP count! :-)

not that I'm competitive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.