Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Euros, although I find that most of them I end up liking (as opposed to playing once or twice and that is it) are those that are "Euros with a Twist." For instance, Lancaster is a worker placement that lets you kick off another worker, Glory to Rome (maybe more of a card game then a Euro) has the multiuse cards, and Alchemists is just altogether different.

What are some suggestions for other Euro games that have an interesting twist to them? In particular, I would to find a resource management game that has a fun twist (that is not La Granja). The twist could also be a good theme.

I'm not going to put a lot of restrictions on it, although playing well with 2 and/or scaling to 5 is always a huge plus for me.

EDIT: I realize that is is a little enigmatic. I'm just looking for some Euros with unique elements. For instance, I liked The Voyages of Marco Polo well enough, but it was a fairly standard Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...
Asara is a fairly light worker placement game about building towers which later participate in majorities scoring...
The twist: Players workers are cards and a player must match the color of the previously played cards on that action space (In other words, you have to follow suit to do worker placement). This one only plays up to 4 though.

The Palaces of Carrara.... might be a stretch to call it a twist but it has the feature that every game the end game conditions are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium
I just picked this game up last week and played it this last sunday. It might be a good option for you. It looked fairly simple, then I started reading the rules. So its got elements of: worker placement, tablu building, resource management, auctioning, and just on the edge of having some action points.
Cards come out and player place their meeples to get them, thats what I thought the game was based on but you can do soooo much more on your turn and your just limited by your choices ie do you dare hold out to get a better price or will your opponent take it before you. There just seems to be so much.
Its new to me and it impressed me and the other players so I want to recommend it highly but idk if it will give you enough resource management to scratch your itch so check it out before buying. I think the management this game does is trying to balance what you want with what you can get. Most other games give me a feeling of trying to do the most but this just felt different. It plays 2 to 5 and though I'm sure it plays differently from 2 to 5 but I think would work well on both ends (I played 5 and 3).

edit ps: oh and steampunk mining as a theme, cool in my opinion but not that pivotal in gameplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argent: The Consortium has plenty of twists, including shanking opponent workers, hidden victory conditions, variable turn order, special powers (spells etc), variable setup. It's a fairly heavy game though and can get really crazy at five players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Glass Road. Only scales to 4 but has an interesting production mechanic and some non-confrontational player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village , where your workers tend to die.

Troyes, where your dice are your workers, but your dice aren't your dice.

In the Year of the Dragon, quite different IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower is unique (I think) in its use of workers as auction currency. It's also a straight-up great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Inca Empire is a network-building Euro with an innovative take-that element. Only plays 3-4, though.

Stockpile has a very large deduction element, if you can call that a twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City ... Your workers can gun down others' meeples in the street like the mangy dogs they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna copy myself from another thread:

World Without End, by the same guys from Pillars of the Earth, based on the second book of the series and with a theme nicely integrated into the game mechanics. Plays up to 4 players (sorry there, but a lot of euros don't go higher) in about 90 minutes.

It's an action selection game where every player has the same 12 action cards, and each round they must use one and discard another (the game plays over 4 chapters of 6 rounds each, you get all your cards back at the end of each chapter). The action cards can give you resources, let you sell stuff for gold, use your resources on the different building projects in the board, or collect rewards for the stuff you have built or accumulated.

On each of the 24 rounds there is an event card that the current first player has to place in the center of the board; this card always has a positive or negative effect for every player (mostly negative, because medieval life was hard) and has some resources in each corner, so depending on the way the card is facing when it's placed, it also gives different resources to each of the players. The game comes with 44 of these event cards, and only 24 are used on each game.

You can have a long time strategy like most euros, but you cannot count on making it work in a set number of rounds because something horrible will likely happen on the way due to the effect cards and the scarcity of resources, so you always have to adjust and change objectives on the go, and this turns it into a very tactical game.

Also the way you and every other player places the event cards can give you (or deny other players) some very important resources besides the general effect of said card, so there is never a single optimal strategy that you can always apply to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
parapalooka wrote:
Keyflower is unique (I think) in its use of workers as auction currency. It's also a straight-up great game.

+1 for Keyflower - it is a very good seemless mechanic between worker, progrssive activation cost, and auction currency.

Tigris and Euphrates - Although a 'classic' it likely meets the with a twist given that this game is conflict driven. You will find yourself coveting your neighbours resources, and kicking them flat out of their cities through revolts (internal) or wars (external conflict). Just a game iwth a huge potential for being mean spirited. It is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
parapalooka wrote:

+1 for Keyflower - it is a very good seemless mechanic between worker, progrssive activation cost, and auction currency.

Tigris and Euphrates - Although a 'classic' it likely meets the with a twist given that this game is conflict driven. You will find yourself coveting your neighbours resources, and kicking them flat out of their cities through revolts (internal) or wars (external conflict). Just a game iwth a huge potential for being mean spirited. It is cool.

I owned Keyflower, and thought it was okay, but ended up selling it.

I think T&E is okay as well, but it is really just an Abstract game in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Dungeon Petz. Not sure it has the twist you're looking for, but the theme is unique for a euro worker placement, in that it has a strong theme!

Also, the way placement order is determined is interesting, imo. Rather than setting a standard turn order, each player selects a number of imps to go to market in groups. starting with the largest groups, those get placed first. So players have to choose between putting a larger group together to place first (thus reducing the overall number of placements they will have with their limited number of imps) versus smaller groups that give more placements, but may mean not getting the spaces you want.

There is also a lot of future planning going on as you have to look at and anticipate the customers and exhibitions coming up in later rounds.

Worth taking a look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlaada Chvátil

A lot of his games are "Euros with a twist." I really enjoy Dungeon Lords (worker placement where order changes your actions, as well as Adventurers that come in and attack your dungeon), and alot of people say Dungeon Petz is even better (don't know enough to give a good summary but you have to take care of petz).

And most of his games are just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dungeon Petz

Viticulture, especially with Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture, is a fantastic Euro with some really cool mechanisms. I love the "Grande Workers" that let you take an already filled action space.

Innovation might be one you should try. Same designer as Glory to Rome, and the way the cards interact if pretty unique.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a great tile laying game where the players are each creating their own castles. It has a really neat way of paying for the new tiles and a bit of a puzzle-like aspect of fitting your castle together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica has rather direct conflict for a Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Code of Nine has a huge twist, check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia could fit the bill here.

It's a dice placement game, but players can be kicked off of spots (and that die gets returned to the player instead of spending an action to do it). Also, the value of the die can be both good and bad in terms of intelligence and ability to do certain actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yog Sothoth
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dios_et_dios wrote:
"Euros with a Twist."

Twister
Dungeon Twister
Finger Twister
Totally Twister

Sorry, couldn't resist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Troyes

Have a look at CO₂. Cleverly designed strategy Euro with innovative mechanics and a poignant and timely theme. A key twist is that while players compete fiercely, in their assumed role of global energy company CEOs, they have to be mindful of the very real possibility that too much self interest can create a game end condition whereby everyone loses the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dungeon Petz and Dungeon Lords. Both great games with unique themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stuchii wrote:

It's a dice placement game, but players can be kicked off of spots (and that die gets returned to the player instead of spending an action to do it). Also, the value of the die can be both good and bad in terms of intelligence and ability to do certain actions.

That's the one I was going to recommend for exactly the same reasons, good thing I read through the thread first and avoided looking like an idiot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
stuchii wrote:

That's the one I was going to recommend for exactly the same reasons, good thing I read through the thread first and avoided looking like an idiot

I liked Euphoria well enough. My biggest complaint was that once someone gets ahead, it seems like it is difficult to catch up, unless they make a huge blunder.

So far, I've played about 80% of the suggestions. Most I consider pretty standard Euros (or maybe a standard Euro with a gimmick).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.