BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Shadows Over Camelot for families? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Shadows Over Camelot looks like a really neat game.
The theme is intriguing and the art looks awesome.

I was wondering a few things about it:

Is time to play really under 90 minutes on average?

Is it fun to play with only 3 or 4 players?

How easy is it to teach new players? (and how long does that usually take?)

How difficult is it to play once you've learned the rules? (would it be complex for casual gamers?)

Wondering if it's a game I should consider or not.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb

All depends on the group. I usually figure on a couple hours for it.

3 is possible, so is 4. It gets better with more players, in my opinion. When I play 3, I don't use the possibility of a traitor, over that I do (unless the entire group is new).

How easy is it to teach new players? (and how long does that usually take?
)

It's pretty easy to teach, and usually takes me about 10 minutes at most. Just go over each area and how they work. The character cards each have the rules for special items, the turn sequence, etc, so each player has a reference sheet for the main parts of the game.

How difficult is it to play once you've learned the rules? (would it be complex for casual gamers?)

Not complex at all. The majority of the quests are playing cards with a value of 1-5 in poker style sets (pairs, full house, straight, etc).

I recommend it, it's easily my favorite co-op, and one of my favorite board games overall. But my biases are that I love Arthurian themed games, I like the variety of quests (they're the same each game, but at least you have a choice of which ones to do) and the possibility of a traitor in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an easy game to learn--a tough game to win.

You feel like you are walking uphill the entire time, and by most game endings you either win by a tight margin or lose by a tight margin.

If your family likes to play that way, it's a spectacular game--but don't expect to win every time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely better with more than four players, and you want to set aside several hours for playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Archambault
Canada
flag msg tools
MilesF wrote:

All depends on the group. I usually figure on a couple hours for it.

3 is possible, so is 4. It gets better with more players, in my opinion. When I play 3, I don't use the possibility of a traitor, over that I do (unless the entire group is new).

How easy is it to teach new players? (and how long does that usually take?
)

It's pretty easy to teach, and usually takes me about 10 minutes at most. Just go over each area and how they work. The character cards each have the rules for special items, the turn sequence, etc, so each player has a reference sheet for the main parts of the game.

Not complex at all. The majority of the quests are playing cards with a value of 1-5 in poker style sets (pairs, full house, straight, etc).

I recommend it, it's easily my favorite co-op, and one of my favorite board games overall. But my biases are that I love Arthurian themed games, I like the variety of quests (they're the same each game, but at least you have a choice of which ones to do) and the possibility of a traitor in the game.

Exactly this. One of my family's favorite and it's so fun with a traitor. Just expect the first couple games to be longer unless you lose really quick! I highly recommend it if these criteria fit what you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Play time:
Mostly, about 2 hours seems right, but it really depends on the group. If your group likes to discuss a lot in cooperative games, it can be longer.

Fun for 3 or 4 players:

Fun and playable, yes, but the more the merrier. Also, if there is a traitor in a 3 or 4 player game, the "good" heroes will have a *very* hard time winning. The good part is that there might actually not be a traitor, but you don't know; and you can also play without a traitor altogether.

Ease of teaching:
The game is simpler than it looks at first. It is basically just collecting matching cards. 10-15 minutes of explaining should be enough.

Complexity:
See above, I think the game isn't all that complex and can be played by casual Gamers and children. And since it is a coop, the more experienced players can always help if there is some confusion over what to do. Don't mistake the low complexity for easiness of winning: The game can be very hard to win if there is a traitor.

Should you consider it?
It is a fun, atmospheric and good-looking game. If you like cooperative and/or traitor games and like the theme, I'd say go for it, especially if you don't want an overly complex game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the thoughts!
I'll definitely consider it!
I'm starting to lean towards Mice and Mystics as my first more thematic game (largely because it plays well with a smaller group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the video reviews and see if it's your cup of tea. Wil Wheaton gives a good run through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii3yhl8wra0
From Dice Tower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MREzUjHHook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.