17 Posts

The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » General

Subject: How does this game plays with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
Looking at the rules, interaction and tension between players sounds fun.
Now that the game has been out for sometime, I'm curious to hear how do you find it as a 2 player game.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1344620/2-players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
zhangzewen wrote:
Now that the game has been out for sometime, I'm curious to hear how do you find it as a 2 player game.

Thanks

Yes, the link listed above is great for further comments, but I will go ahead and add that I love this game at all player counts, and it works very well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
zhangzewen wrote:

Thanks

Yes, the link listed above is great for further comments, but I will go ahead and add that I love this game at all player counts, and it works very well with 2.

I agree. 2p is a lot more strategic and it's all about optimizing more efficiently than your opponent. 3 is a little more interactive and imo, slighlty better. But that's not taking away anything from 2p games, which are very good. And I have not had the pleasure of playing with 4 which must be sublime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:

this ^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We read the rules for the suggested first-game setup, and the first player gets a character that doesn't need to roll the dice. I thought that was rather odd, that a large part of the game wouldn't be used, and that it would be the 1st player, and not, say, the 3rd or 4th player in a 3 or 4 player game. We didn't play with character powers (I have heard things from others that make it seem it is their favorite part of the game, YMMV).

So while I don't think it's a scaling issue, exactly, without using the character powers, the game didn't seem to work quite right, but having one person in a 2p game not have to roll dice seemed odd.

Later you can have different characters, so it may be a different player, or no player at all, with that power, but still, the possibility is out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
indigopotter wrote:
We read the rules for the suggested first-game setup, and the first player gets a character that doesn't need to roll the dice. I thought that was rather odd, that a large part of the game wouldn't be used, and that it would be the 1st player, and not, say, the 3rd or 4th player in a 3 or 4 player game. We didn't play with character powers (I have heard things from others that make it seem it is their favorite part of the game, YMMV).

So while I don't think it's a scaling issue, exactly, without using the character powers, the game didn't seem to work quite right, but having one person in a 2p game not have to roll dice seemed odd.

Later you can have different characters, so it may be a different player, or no player at all, with that power, but still, the possibility is out there.

The person who controls Raschid ad-Din Sinan (no dice rolling) doesn't always win, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

The person who controls Raschid ad-Din Sinan (no dice rolling) doesn't always win, though.

I chose the game for the elements, like the dice-rolling. It would be like playing Dominion and choosing your hand of cards rather than shuffling and drawing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maeddes maeddison
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
badge
Der Mensch wird am Du zum Ich. Buber
mbmbmbmbmb
it play very well with 2. My wife likes it too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent with 2-4 players. Probably best with three players since the tightness is somewhere between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raschid is recommended for the first player in case they are still tired from their recent trip around the globe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays excellent with 2 no matter which characters are used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
After seven play with my wife, she now hates the game because I beat her almost every time. With two players it is kind of obvious in the last round who will win. There is not much you can do to catch up. We both fulfill our goal cards and so the endgame scoring doesn't change much. The player who fulfills more contracts is usually the winner. I don't know how to help my wife but in games like Agricola we are even. I really like the game but it looks like my wife will not play it with me again. cry

Do you have tight end scoring with two players or is a gap of 20 points normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikingblood80 wrote:
ar147 wrote:

Do you have tight end scoring with two players or is a gap of 20 points normal?

With my wife it is the other way round...I don't want to play any longer. Now score is 13:13 and 1 draw.

20 is just normal. Usually we are within 10 points difference though it also can be higher..we also had 40 points difference(lost the last game 59:106). Only 1 game out of 27 was a draw (76:76). 1 good action / play rewards you with around 10 points. In one of our last games I would have scored exactly 20 points more if I would have been able to get a second 2 black die in round number 5. (travel a second time with black dice, place last trading post and use new city action)

Simple things might have huge impact on points in this game.

Yep, sometimes even a 20 point swing can happen because of one missing resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they should have made the scoring track till 100 so the gap between players seems less than half the round.

I didn't have the opportunity to play with more players so I can't compare. I also think some characters are not so good in two player games like Berke Khan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ïzi Requin
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
My best score was with berke khan ... 106 in a 2 player game.

I explain this score in another thread.

Berke Khan is one of the strongest character because u can have a legion of camels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Penzance
Cornwall
flag msg tools
The Chicken of DOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night with my wife. I loved it, but she was less enamoured, mainly because of her character powers.
The rulebook doesn't specifically suggest characters for your first 2 player game, only a 4 player game, so I set out the 4 recommended starting characters, and we randomly chose one each. I got Matteo Polo (extra white die + new contract each round) and she got Berke Khan (no occupied dice payment). In a 2 player game, her power was negligible since there wasn't a huge amount of competition for space, but my power was great. I was completing contracts and scoring points, and ended up beating her by almost twice as many points. She's an experienced gamer, so this was unusual.
So those two characters felt wildly different at this player count. We'll play with different ones next time and hopefully it'll be a bit more balanced.
Which characters would you suggest for a 2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.